“Disappointed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Windsor
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Upon arrival, I was disappointed at the aged look of the hotel. Room was clean. Bed was decent, but the pillows are the size of decorative throw pillows. I called down to ask for two extra pillows, and asked if I could have normal sized pillows, but was simply given two more throw-sized pillows. AND I had to walk down from my 3rd floor room to retrieve the pillows, because they were having some sort of problem with their room key system. Wasn't worth the $80+ dollars we paid for the room. More like a $45 room.

Room Tip: Hotel is OK, but not worth $80+.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
ManagerQuality, General Manager at Quality Inn Skyline Drive, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am sorry that you weren't satisfied with your stay. We are working on updating our look; but most of the exterior work will have to wait until Spring. The pillows that we have are pillows that are required by Choice Hotels International's Rules and Regulations for all Quality Inns. Unfortunately, to stay compliant with our franchise agreement, we must use them. I am aware that there was an issue with the keycard maker; however, that is no excuse for not providing service to a guest. I will be reviewing employee training and scheduling additional training in customer service to prevent this from happening again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Freeport, Illinois
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Room 331. Room seemed to be clean. There is an elevator which is very helpful if you are on floors 2 or 3. We were on the sunny (south) side of the hotel and the room was very warm. The air conditioner did not operate properly so it didn't cool the room. We ended up opening the door to get outside air which was very comfortable. The traffic noise however was not good with the door open. The TV remote control did not work. The batteries were taped into the control! Fortunately, there were controls accessible so we could change channels and volume. WiFi here was available but extremely frustrating...we had to sign in again with the password after just few minutes of internet activity. Have not experienced the complimentary breakfast so cannot rate it.

• Stayed October 2013
ManagerQuality, General Manager at Quality Inn Skyline Drive, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am sorry that you experience an issue with some of our equipment. The issue with the HVAC is that the unit has two internal settings: continuous which works best with air conditioning and intermittent which works best with heat. With the cold nights that we have been having, Maintenance has been switching the internal setting over to intermittent. I'll have them reset the South-facing rooms until it gets cooler. I'll also get them to take care of the remote. I am going to get with our internet tech support to find out what is going on with the log in. You should not have to log in more than once. Thank you again for bringing this to my attention.
Doylestown, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

The hotel is old, not particularly well kept. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom reasonably clean. The carpet was well-stained. The area gave me the creeps. I was very disappointed in Front Royal altogether, probably because I had built up a much different picture in my mind from some reading I had done many years ago. Staff were pleasant, complementary breakfast was fine. This is definitely no more than a 2 star hotel, but it's pretty evident that people are doing the best they can, which does count!.

Room Tip: All outside entry to rooms on all floors - it can be noisy at night, especially on a weekend. A/C w...
Green Features: This is not a particularly environment-friendly place.
1 Thank Margaret G
ManagerQuality, General Manager at Quality Inn Skyline Drive, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. In your comment, you mention that the property is not well kept. Other than replacing the carpet (already on the renovation list for this winter), what would you like to see us do to improve. It is very helpful to get a guest - eye view of the property because sometimes our proprieties on renovations don't match the guests. I look forward to hearing from you again and hope to see you again in the future.
Martinsville, Virginia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Price was good...but, not impressed with the room. The Wifi did not work, I called the front desk and she said she would tell her manager. We were there for 2 nights and they did not fix the wifi! The room could have used some TLC, wallpaper peeling, old fixtures, old dirty carpet, but I can live with that...after all we were just sleeping and showering there! The second night of our stay I noticed a big stain on the blanket...let's just say we decided it had to be a coffee stain! (it looked like a blood stain). If you need a cheap place to sleep for a night or two it would do...but, if you are picky, I don't recommend it. I will not go there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagerQuality, General Manager at Quality Inn Skyline Drive, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I am sorry that we failed to provide you a Quality stay. I wish you would have reported the stained blanket at the time you discovered it. We do have extra blankets. No guest should have to use stained bedding. We have 46 rooms currently scheduled for renovation this winter which are all of the rooms that still have wall paper. The wall paper is being replaced with a painted knockdown stucco treatment. In our rooms with 2 double beds, we are replacing the upholstered chair, desk and desk chair with an activity table and 2 chairs which will give more room to walk around. We are looking into replacing the chest of drawers and some carpets. I am aware of one time when the WIFI was out for two days due to a problem at Comcast that was related to heavy rain that persisted after the rain had stopped. I hope that you will give us an opportunity to prove that we can do better.

Travellers are raving about these Front Royal hotels

Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed the second week of Oct. Mon-Fri. Room 209 poolside. Staff was very friendly and helpfull.
Room clean and comfortable. Good size mini-fridge. Good free breakfast, great waffles. All in all it was a fine place to stay and I will use it again next time I take a week to go hiking on the countless trails nearby. These folks run a hotel like they care. Thank you all for making my trip even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Plenty of good rest. right across the street in the "Old Town Section"
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
ManagerQuality, General Manager at Quality Inn Skyline Drive, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We love to hear from our guests. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to find activities to do despite the Shenandoah National Park being closed. Hope to see you again soon.
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Clean and comfortable for a decent stay. Room a bit musty, but not overwhelming. Allows pets, not too far off the beating path, but you have to be looking for it. Not a Candlewood suites, but not a motel 6 either. Probably better than the Super 8 in town.

• Stayed October 2013
ManagerQuality, General Manager at Quality Inn Skyline Drive, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am sorry that there was a musty smell in your room. I am having my Maintenance staff check the HVAC's and bathroom vent roof fans which should have prevented the odor. If you would, please let me know what room your were staying in so I can direct the staff to the problem area. I hope to see you again, soon.
Teddington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I guess some people are just unlucky. This place was better than we expected having read the reviews. The young lady on the desk (Jennifer) was extremely pleasant and very helpful. The non-smoking room, although smelling of smoke was fine after a while of running the aircon. The room was otherwise very clean and had clearly been renovated recently with new furniture.

I don't understand many of the complaints - this is about as inexpensive as accommodation in this area comes - get real! Those who have complaints should have gone to a more expensive place.

Room Tip: Request a quieter room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagerQuality, General Manager at Quality Inn Skyline Drive, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am sorry that your room smelled of smoke. We do have equipment that should have been used in the room to remove the smoke prior to your arrival. I am glad that Jennifer took good care of you. I will be sharing your comment with my staff. I hope to see you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Front Royal
#2 of 5 in Strasburg
Super 8 Front Royal
Super 8 Front Royal
#6 of 9 in Front Royal

Been to Quality Inn Skyline Drive? Share your experiences!