“Pleasure on the porch”

and 1 more site!
Lackawanna B&B
Ranked #3 of 11 Front Royal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 July 2013

:ackawanna B&B is located on a dead end street just outside town. The location is really nice and quiet and perfect if you want to relax for a couple of days. We stayed to nights to take a break during our 4 week vacation. Phil and Sandra are lovely people and we enjoyed conversing with them. Phil told us some great stories about the time he was a firefighter. We all had a good laugh. The garden is really beatiful and sitting on the back porch a good place to relax. The fireflies at night looked like a Christmas decoration. Phil and Sandra, thank you for a great stay!
Greetings, Laurel and Hardy fromn the Netherlands! ;-)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Lovely old house and garden in a quiet and attractive setting a stone's throw from the Shenandoah River. Sandra and Philip have restored the house beautifully and there are two living rooms and a porch to relax in. Free sodas, snacks and wine in the evening are a nice toouch. The air conditioning was quiet and efficient. The room we stayed in (Webster) was spacious (the bathroom perhaps a little small), and the bed very comfortable. Breakfast was great and one could make a choice the previous evening. Although the rooms are well furnished with period/reolica furniture storage space is less than orginally meets the eye and travellers with large suitcases will need to be organised! It is a short drive to the town centre (less than five minutes). Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Webster Room is spacious and comfortable.
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Lackawanna B&B was comfortable, the breakfast was delicious, and the hospitality inviting. Our stay in the Rose Room was enjoyable. The home is beautifully decorated and well kept. Phil and Sandy are caring and considerate as well as great cooks. We felt at home immediately and would certainly visit again.

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The hospitality was impecable and our clean accommodations were elegant. Breakfast was plentious and varied with abundant fresh fruit. We enjoyed our stay thoroughly and plan a return visit soon. Thank you Phil and Sandy. Peace, Ruth

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2013

It is a very old, historic house that is well kept, modernized and beautifully decorated. The hosts, Sandy and Phil, were wonderful hosts and really thought of any amenities that would enhance your stay. They had great suggestions for local places to visit or restaurants to dine at. The breakfasts were very good. The house also has lovely gardens to stroll in and a nice front porch to sit on. Overall, we had a great experience.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

When booking our trip to Washington D.C., we decided to spend a couple of days in Northern Virginia and visit Shenandoah N.P. We chose the Lackawanna B&B as our starting point and were not disappointed. After a long flight from Amsterdam, we received a warm welcome from Sandy and Phil. The beautiful historic home and quiet surroundings really made us feel at home. We stayed two nights in the Rose Room, which is an elegantly decorated and spacious bedroom with a very comfortable bed. We were also pleasantly surprised by the excellent cooked breakfast in the morning. My wife and I enjoyed the complimentary wine while sitting on the porch in the late afternoon.

Conclusion: definitely worth visiting again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2013

While booking the room I explained that we had two children and the person I was talking to agreed to wave the charge for extra guests. in the background I hear a snarling voice say "can we talk about this!" then after giving them my credit card info, the phone disconnects. when I called back they simply said, "deal's off" as if we were playing a game.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cristin F
charlesVirginia, Owner at Lackawanna B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Lackawanna B&B has always welcomed the reviews we get. The good, the bad and the ugly, as we feel we can always learn from every criticism.

However, this review is a total distortion of the facts and the only thing we can learn from this is Seller Beware.

Please allow me the opportunity to present to you the facts of this event.

The customer had called several times in the preceding days and talked with my husband, Phil, about booking a room. At no time during these discussions did she say that children would be included in the reservation.

When she called on the day in question she asked to speak to Phil. If I had known that she wanted to book a room, I would have taken the call myself as Phil was suffering with a bad tooth and waiting to go into the dentist for a root canal.

As the reservation process continued, I heard Phil say that he would not charge her for the children. I asked (according to this lady snarled) Phil how old the children were. The answer was 9 and 7. I was trying to remind Phil that we do not take children under 10 when the phone went dead. Since the conversation had ended, I reminded Phil that our website and policy is that we do not take children under 10 and it would not be possible to accommodate this reservation since we had guests already booked. It has always been our policy that if we do take younger children it is only when we have no other reservations; the reason being that many people come to our bed & breakfast to have a break from children and it is our desire that our guests enjoy their stay.

When the lady called back saying she had been disconnected, I was in front of Phil and heard him say, “ I am sorry but we are not going to be able to accommodate you”; followed by yes I am sorry we can’t do it but it is not possible.”. He never said “the deals off – as if they were playing a game”; and this statement is just not true.

I feel he should have explained to the caller that the reason we could not book her reservation was because we do not take small children, however, Phil said he just did not feel like talking because of his tooth.

I am sorry if she feels we were rude, and I guess since she did not get what she wanted that is what it seemed like.

The guidelines for our bed & breakfast are very clear that we do not take small children. If you are going to try and do something other than our normal accommodations that information should be brought up in the beginning. This lady has never stayed at our b&b so the only interaction she had with us was by phone. If she was treated poorly, I would say it is because she was not forthcoming about who would be included in the reservation and tried to make a reservation for something other than what we offer.

Bed & Breakfast facilities require a very personal and interactive relationship with your guests. We very much value our customers and their satisfactions if important to us. We try to accommodate our guests in every way we can, however, in order for it to be completely successful all of the time all parties have to be fair and candid.

We have had guests make a reservation for a couple show up at our door with small children; we will not accommodate this reservation. We will try and help them find a facility that will take children, however, in fairness to the guests already here, we would not honor the reservation. It has become apparent that people are very offended when you will not accept children and I have no idea how to make that potential customer happy.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Front Royal
#2 of 11 in Front Royal
Royal Inn Motel
Royal Inn Motel
#6 of 10 in Front Royal

Been to Lackawanna B&B? Share your experiences!