“A pleasant surprise”

Applebee's
Ranked #59 of 89 Restaurants in Front Royal
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We like Applebee's, but hadn't tried this one in our home town. Had lunch there and we were quite surprised by several things - 1) how empty the restaurant was; 2) how fast the service was; 3) how HUGE the meal portions were; 4) how the design and decor of this Applebee's is so very different from any other of their restaurants. We did the 2 for $25 specials. I had the fried shrimp - got 18 of them, and they were all tasty. Liked that I could swap fries for a veggie, but the veggie was limp - think somebody didn't nuke it right in the kitchen. Sauteed veggies would have been so much better. My husband had the chicken smothered with portobello mushrooms, which he enjoyed. He would not have gotten the home fries (strange side!) had he known they were part of the meal. Good service, but since there were only 2 other tables filled in the restaurant, we figured people needed something to do.

You kind of know what to expect at a chain restaurant, and this one was no exception. However we strongly recommend that they put another Applebee's sign on the top of the back of the building (which is the only side you can see from the parking lots/access roads), and also a few signs pointing to the front door would have been helpful too.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped on our way through town. We were seated next to a table of what appeared to be friends of the kitchen staff? Food portions were good but nothing spectacular. Bathrooms were gross (and they had only been open an hour) and made me regret eating there.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

My family and I ate at the Front Royal Applebee's on 1/6/14. We've eaten here 6-8 times before and it's usually nothing spectacular--just average. This particular time, I had one of their new dishes: Savory Cedar Salmon...only it wasn't savory. It needed another 2-4 minutes of cooking (was raw in the middle), and it looked thrown together. The spinach was wilted and was thrown over top of the potatoes and a few peas. I wouldn't recommend this dish. I was wishing I'd ordered my 'usual' - the Fish and Chips. I've had that twice before and it was good. We also usually love the pretzel breadsticks and cheese, but this time there were a lot of bubbles on the bread for some reason...and therefore not much of the seasonings stuck to the bread, making it less tasty.

My youngest son had burgers and cheesesticks from the kids menu--burgers yay, cheesesticks, nay. He said, "Mommy, the cheesesticks from 7-11 are waaaaay better." We took home his cheesesticks and I ended up eating them the next day so as not to waste them.

My oldest son and husband on the other hand, hit the jackpot. Son loved his Honey Pepper Chicken and Shrimp, and hubby loved his 4-cheese Mac & Cheese with Honey Pepper Chicken Tenders. Hubby said this is his new favorite dish. Being that these were both 'honey pepper' dishes, I'd say that's the way to go if you want something good at Applebee's. :)

Also, my oldest son loved the $1.00 brownie bite and ice cream for dessert. My younger son would have loved it if it wasn't topped with nuts (he absolutely avoids nuts like the plague). So I gave the nuts to my older son (I don't like them either) and I ate the brownie while my younger son ate the ice cream.

The atmosphere was great, and we also saw a couple of our neighbors which added a nice touch...love living in a nice family-oriented area!

Reviewed 13 June 2013

The whole place seemed to be staffed by students who were so busy discussing their social lives they ignored us completely for a full 15 minutes at which point we gave up and left for Cracker Barrel. Strange as Applebees is usually reliable but not this one!

Reviewed 11 June 2013

Not sure when this Applebees opened, but it looked new and the wait staff was attentive. This is a good choice if you are traveling to/through Front Royal