“Hidden gem that delivers outstanding cuisine at very moderate price”

Thunwa Thai Cuisine
Ranked #8 of 94 Restaurants in Front Royal
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I would never have found or gone into this little restaurant, had the Downriver Canoe Company not sworn by it and drawn me a map! From the outside, it's barely visible and not too promising looking. It is inside a "mature" Quality Inn on one of the busy roads of Front Royal. But inside the restaurant there is charming Thai decor and a delicious smell. Most meals can be ordered with beef, pork, chicken, tofu and vegetables, or (extra charge) shrimp/seafood. I chose a ginger dish with tofu, and it was exquisite. I loved the food, with the veggies being lightly stir fried and crispy and (by my request) the tofu kept soft. The ginger was strongly present, but not overwhelming other complex tastes and some spices to heat it up.While I was eating, I saw a beautiful pineapple-based beef dinner being served, as well as a chicken and orange dinner. Service was quick and friendly. My only gripe is that they were charging quite a lot extra for brown rice. I am used to a small upcharge, but not several dollars. I would come back to this wonderful restaurant again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We've wanted to try this place for a while. Starting hearing about it first just by word of mouth. Read all the great reviews and finally went the other night. So glad we did. We started out with the Pot Stickers and the One Sun Beef for appetizers. The Pot Stickers were baked; not fried - not bad but not great. The One Sun Beef was awesome. The sauce they marinated it in gave it such a good flavor. Then I had the Pad Thai with Shrimp for my entrée. Absolutely awesome! A dish full of flavor. My husband had the Crying Tiger Steak. This was unbelievable. He cut a piece and said "you have to try this!" The flavors came out as soon as it hit my tongue. I hadn't even started chewing. The steak was so tender. I know I have used the word "flavor" several times, but that is exactly what you get - food with awesome flavors. I also have to add that all the dishes came out with such beautiful presentation. This was an awesome experience. We will definitely come back and try this place again. FYI - this place fills up quick. People were rolling in and rolling out at a constant pace. The only negative thing I would say is that they could use another waiter/waitress. One poor guy was trying to serve the entire dining room. He did good but could have definitely used some help. Put this place on your list. You will not be disappointed. It was great.

1  Thank Linden96
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Pad Thai was bland for our liking but Panang curry was good to the last drop with an abundance of chicken and thai basil garnish that I cut up and added to the curry for additional flavor.

The curry dumplings were also flavorful and with the garnish, it was as if we had a salad as well. If I am in Front Royal again, I would seek this restaurant out for delicious thai food.

2  Thank kthomasva
Reviewed 2 June 2014

1. I had the Pineapple Fried Rice which is served in 1/2 a Pineapple. Loved eating from the actual pineapple...Made me feel like I was at a tropical resort instead of Front Royal. Dish isn't spicy and so tasty. Get some chili paste on the side if you wish to make it a little spicy. I did just that. DELICIOUS
Diet Coke comes from a can and you pay $1.75 which took me 3 request to get. Since they billed me for it I ended up taking it to go. A guy was our waiter....he needs a new job.... It's just not his thing...
Loved the people playing music while we ate.. and I had the Thunwa Puff starer. Very tasty inside but I'm not much for heavy breading and it was a bit thick. Can't wait to try a second dish and another Pineapple

1  Thank TAMMY R
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Food was great and the atmosphere was very good, food great. They had music and no smoking. Would so back next time in the area

1  Thank Stan H