“Life's Too Short for Butter Substitutes”

Knotty Pine Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 87 Restaurants in Front Royal
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Don't insult my biscuits by only offering pre-packaged Shedd's Spread. I don't even want to know what was in that cup of pre-melted whatever to go on the pancakes. Really? If you have a menu that includes sausage gravy, you're obviously not concerned with being heart-healthy. I'll gladly pay a few cents more for the real deal. The ham steak was overly salty and the texture, leathery. Reviews that said the service - and the locals - were friendly were accurate, but that's where it ends. This is not the place for good, honest, down-home cookin', unless mom was a slouch.

4  Thank roadtrippin58

Reviewed 31 May 2013

A local place for a great value, old fashion dining. I go there for breakfast every so often and the value is perfect, the food good and atmosphere is ok. A good meal for a fair price is not a bad thing at all.

1  Thank jazphan
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Maybe the breakfast here is good, but we stopped in for dinner and the food was just awful. I certainly wasn't expecting gourmet, I figured cafeteria-style cooking would be the order of the day, but this was bad cafeteria. Canned green beans were old and salty like they'd been sitting in a warmer all day. Country fried steak was a foodservice frozen patty thrown in the deep fryer. Microwaved frozen corn. Nothing we had was homemade except the fried chicken which was pretty good though the pieces were tiny. Service was friendly and it's definitely a time-warp inside.

2  Thank thiswaythatway
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Great food, especially breakfast. They say find out where the locals hang out for a good breakfast and entertaining conversation. Reminds you of the old days going to the old store and catchiong up with what is going on in town.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

We went to the Knotty Pine on a Sunday morning for breakfast. The place was hopping and we took the only empty table in the restaurant. The decor is definitely 1960s or 1970s and the breakfast menu covers every base for breakfast fare. Our waitress was very cordial and we ordered a variety of items so that we could sample a little bit of everything. I ordered a 2 egg plate with home fries and scrapple, a side of biscuits and sausage gravy; and my lady ordered a customized breakfast sandwich with home fries. Our food was brought out fairly quickly and the plates completely covered our little 2 top table. As soon as I saw the Scrapple it was definitely on the flat top for more than a country minute and our waitress asked if it was OK. I did request another slice and that was delivered without questions. Everything was fresh and cooked to our request. The biscuits and sausage gravy were very good, the eggs were cooked over medium exactly as I requested, and the home fries were fresh and tasty. Service was excellent and everything was delivered with a smile. With everything that we ordered our bill was only $20 so I will definitely make a point to return to the Knotty Pine.

1  Thank Slovakdude