“Good place to lay your head”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cool Harbor Motel

Cool Harbor Motel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Front Royal
Wales
“Good place to lay your head”
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We arrived late at Dulles in the rain and this place was convenient before heading for the Blue Ridge Mountains. Reception staff were helpful and kind and the room was clean and adequate.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rosemaryWales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Nice place to spend the night before drivingthe Skyline Drive. Rooms are small but neat & clean. Fridge and coffee maker in room. Right around the corner from the the Royal Oak tavern which had a nice dinner at a great price. Excellent value to price ratio. Not the Ritz, but your not paying for that.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Christopher E
Maryland
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The rooms are very outdated and dirty! There was trash all over the floor beside the bed. The comforters are like using cardboard and they only give you 2 cheap VERY flat pillows on your bed which is also as hard as a rock. There were no extra pillows or blankets anywhere in the room. The shower was dirty and the towels were actually discolored! GROSS! They give you your remote at the front desk at check-in as if someone would want to steal an old cheap remote control. You really don't even need your remote after you see that the t.v. gets a total of 10 channels!

The "continental breakfast" was even worse! The coffee was horrible and the microwave smelled so rotten that my friend could smell it from across the room! The selection was as follows: oatmeal packets, mini bagels, and mini donuts. It sucked!

Now onto the pool....I dont think it's been updated since the motel was built and there are only 2 chairs to lay on in the entire pool area. They also don't open until noon. When there was an afternoon shower at 3pm, they closed the pool for the rest of the evening, even though the rain had stopped.

The lobby is bad too. They have a computer for guest use that moves as fast as dial-up internet! When I asked the front desk if they had a newspaper, they said "no". What kind of motel doesn't get a newspaper?

Now here is the worse part: After checking out, my account was overcharged by $100.00. When I called the motel, they told me there were burn holes in the comforter which is funny because NO ONE SMOKED IN THE ROOM! I am a non-smoker and I booked a non-smoking reason because I can't stand to be around cigarette smoke.

Thank God for a few nice employees, because after about 100 phone calls, they agreed to credit the money back to my account.

What a joke!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Nicki_and_Paul

Travellers are raving about these Front Royal hotels

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I am reluctant to slam this place, because I understand that Front Royal isn't New York City and that competing against the big chains must be brutal for a small independent. But Cool Harbor just isn't getting it done.

If you are looking for a place to get in, go to sleep, wake up and hit the road, I guess you could do worse. The rooms, though tiny, are reasonably clean. And the rates are cheap.

But if you are planning to spend any time at the property, keep looking. The website is pretty artful at making the property look leafy and green. It is isn't. The motel just sits in the middle of a parking lot. Think asphalt, not grass and trees.

But the biggest issue is that the place as a whole and its customer base are just really, really downscale. I haven't seen so many tramp stamps and piercings in one place any where else. Think biker bar. As a result, there are a lot of signs posted all over the place: No Drinking, etc. The give-away is when you are issued a TV remote at check-in because management knows the trashy customers would steal them from the rooms.

The final straw for us was that we selected this property because it has an outdoor pool. We arrived Saturday evening in a driving rain storm. OK, fair enough; they certainly don't control the weather. But Sunday morning was clear and sunny, so OK, let's hit the (extremely low quality and meager) free breakfast and have a quick swim. I warned the kids that the pool wouldn't be open early, so we waited until after 10. Sorry, though, the rule -- again presumably in place to keep the customers from running amok -- is that the pool doesn't open until noon.

As I said to the manager at the time: you have your rules, and I have mine. And one of mine is that I don't stay at hotels with stupid rules designed to meet the needs of management rather than customers.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank redclayprodigal
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I can with my family on a four day get away from the city. I looked at several of the motels around front royal before I came upon this one. I was very impressed with how friendly the staff was and how informative she was. She even went a found me a map of the town, highlighted the park (for the kids), where skyline was and few resturants to go to. She also went and got us extra towels when she knew how many was staying in the room. I loved that we didn't even have to ask her1 I also loved the pool out front. It was so wonderful to be able to swim a few laps with the kids and play a little pool volleyball. I think what we loved most was the grill area out back with the picnic tables. You could sit down and have a nice cook out and play some horseshoes or volleyball or basketball. My family and I had a marvelous time
As for the rooms I loved how we had a lot of counter space and cabinets. Thtat was a plus. I also loved that maid service was everyday and I could easliy go ask for more of anything that was needed at the front desk after the maid was gone for the day. That was another plus for this motel. The room was also very clean and I don't know why the negitive comments that others have given on their rooms or sheets not being cleaned but ours was very clean and never had a problem with the sheets....
We will come back a again and again. Great place for those who are staing in the area for more then a day. Has everything you need and if not they are close to everywhere so you can get what you need.

Room Tip: Ask for mountian view.. Breath takeing!!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lovedbyhim81
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Cheap and dirty. Wouldn't stay again. Nicer than the quality inn and cheaper. Our non smoking room smelled heavily of smoke. Everything was as you expect for $70.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank lissjunebug
Paris - France
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We booked this hotel during our 3 week trip between NY & Miami in July 2010; we think it is good value for the price paid. Yes, it is quite dated. But the room was large, and clean. There was a small kitchenette, and the wifi also worked very well. The breakfast area seemed not very welcoming, but there was enough to start the day. All in all, if you do not have great expectations, and if you are only looking for a clean and large motel room, which was our case, you should be OK !

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
#6 of 9 in Front Royal
Ramada Strasburg
Ramada Strasburg
#2 of 5 in Strasburg

Been to Cool Harbor Motel? Share your experiences!