“Clean . . . Clean . . . Clean”

Motel 6 Front Royal, Va
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Front Royal
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My husband and I visit SNP at least twice a year (Spring & Fall) and usually stay at the Quality Inn, which we were not at all happy with on our last stay (Sept. 2011) ~ We decided to give the Cool Harbor Motel a shot and glad we did. The staff were extremely helpful and didn't mind at all when we asked to see the room before booking, the room #222, was small but very and I mean very clean and comfortable. Our room appeared to have been recently renovated with new carpet, new furniture, new linen, curtains and bathroom. The room was tastefully decorated with a nice size fridge and microwave. The only draw backs were you could hear the road traffic even with being closed up.(Police cars w/sirens on two or three times) and the breakfast was kinda shabby. All in all, we will definately stay at the Cool Harbor again. Thanks for making our trip to SNP so enjoyable..

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sissy B

Reviewed 10 April 2012

We used this as our jumping off point for a trip down Skyline and the Blue Ridge parkway. The motel was perfectly nice, but nothing special. The room seemed clean, but dated. Definitely worth heading to Main St to eat, rather than taking the recommendation from the lady behind the desk though. It's only a 5 minute drive, and there's much more to choose from.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LucyAakash
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Our experience was a nice one. The room was clean, the lobby is relaxing and nice. There's a decent sized refrigerator, a microwave, coffee maker and nice countertop area. There was no clock radio, but you can probably use your cell phone, or maybe ask for a wakeup call if need be. We didn't go to the continental breakfast, so we can't comment on that. The room itself had pretty nice furniture, especially for a place with modest rates. The only thing I wished was that the TV had more channels, but actually, there's a LOT to do around here (shopping, restaurants, video stores if you have a puter that plays DVDs, etc.) and you're very close to Skyline Drive and Shenendoah National Park, and many other places to go and things to do, so you really don't notice it that much...and if you're a sports fan, they have all 3 ESPN stations. Also, although the motel has nothing to do with this, as they were all VERY nice to us, be careful driving locally around here...because most of it is 25 mph and there are speed traps...ESPECIALLY, it seems, if you have "Yankee" plates.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor level facing west has nice views of the mountains.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rock G
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We arrived late at Dulles in the rain and this place was convenient before heading for the Blue Ridge Mountains. Reception staff were helpful and kind and the room was clean and adequate.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rosemaryWales
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Nice place to spend the night before drivingthe Skyline Drive. Rooms are small but neat & clean. Fridge and coffee maker in room. Right around the corner from the the Royal Oak tavern which had a nice dinner at a great price. Excellent value to price ratio. Not the Ritz, but your not paying for that.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Christopher E
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The rooms are very outdated and dirty! There was trash all over the floor beside the bed. The comforters are like using cardboard and they only give you 2 cheap VERY flat pillows on your bed which is also as hard as a rock. There were no extra pillows or blankets anywhere in the room. The shower was dirty and the towels were actually discolored! GROSS! They give you your remote at the front desk at check-in as if someone would want to steal an old cheap remote control. You really don't even need your remote after you see that the t.v. gets a total of 10 channels!

The "continental breakfast" was even worse! The coffee was horrible and the microwave smelled so rotten that my friend could smell it from across the room! The selection was as follows: oatmeal packets, mini bagels, and mini donuts. It sucked!

Now onto the pool....I dont think it's been updated since the motel was built and there are only 2 chairs to lay on in the entire pool area. They also don't open until noon. When there was an afternoon shower at 3pm, they closed the pool for the rest of the evening, even though the rain had stopped.

The lobby is bad too. They have a computer for guest use that moves as fast as dial-up internet! When I asked the front desk if they had a newspaper, they said "no". What kind of motel doesn't get a newspaper?

Now here is the worse part: After checking out, my account was overcharged by $100.00. When I called the motel, they told me there were burn holes in the comforter which is funny because NO ONE SMOKED IN THE ROOM! I am a non-smoker and I booked a non-smoking reason because I can't stand to be around cigarette smoke.

Thank God for a few nice employees, because after about 100 phone calls, they agreed to credit the money back to my account.

What a joke!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Nicki_and_Paul
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I am reluctant to slam this place, because I understand that Front Royal isn't New York City and that competing against the big chains must be brutal for a small independent. But Cool Harbor just isn't getting it done.

If you are looking for a place to get in, go to sleep, wake up and hit the road, I guess you could do worse. The rooms, though tiny, are reasonably clean. And the rates are cheap.

But if you are planning to spend any time at the property, keep looking. The website is pretty artful at making the property look leafy and green. It is isn't. The motel just sits in the middle of a parking lot. Think asphalt, not grass and trees.

But the biggest issue is that the place as a whole and its customer base are just really, really downscale. I haven't seen so many tramp stamps and piercings in one place any where else. Think biker bar. As a result, there are a lot of signs posted all over the place: No Drinking, etc. The give-away is when you are issued a TV remote at check-in because management knows the trashy customers would steal them from the rooms.

The final straw for us was that we selected this property because it has an outdoor pool. We arrived Saturday evening in a driving rain storm. OK, fair enough; they certainly don't control the weather. But Sunday morning was clear and sunny, so OK, let's hit the (extremely low quality and meager) free breakfast and have a quick swim. I warned the kids that the pool wouldn't be open early, so we waited until after 10. Sorry, though, the rule -- again presumably in place to keep the customers from running amok -- is that the pool doesn't open until noon.

As I said to the manager at the time: you have your rules, and I have mine. And one of mine is that I don't stay at hotels with stupid rules designed to meet the needs of management rather than customers.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Relax Inn Front Royal
Relax Inn Front Royal
#8 of 10 in Front Royal
Clarion Inn & Conference Center

Been to Motel 6 Front Royal, Va? Share your experiences!