“Cool Harbor Motel”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Front Royal
Ashburn
“Cool Harbor Motel”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

The motel is not fancy or elegant, but neither is the town :-) The front desk clerk was friendly. The room was very clean and well maintained, and included a small frig and microwave. The bed was comfortable and the heat/AC unit worked without problems. The continental breakfast was sparse but adequate. The price was very fair. The motel was exactly what I was looking for, a nice place for a one night stay before I hit Skyline Drive. I would definitely come back and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: ask for an upstairs room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The room is one of the smallest I have ever had so far. There is a door between my room and my neighbor's. I could not watch TV in my room and I could not talk to my spouse with normal voice in the room either, because I was afraid of affecting others' rest. The free breakfast starts at 7:00 am, it is too late for most travelers. The hotel says that they provide a safe in a room, yes, there is one which is just like a small trash can with a lock. On the internet people state that this hotel is pretty clean, I don't agree with them completely. I am sorry but that was what I felt.
The price of the hotel is great, and the location of it is nice too. It is a good choice for people to visit Washington D.C. By staying in this hotel you will save some money and it is just one hour driving to Washington DC.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank S C
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed 23 July 2012

The room wasn't huge or fancy, but it was comfortable enough; both my husband and I rested well. It's very evident that the facility is old, but they seem to have made every effort to make it clean and comfortable. The room & bathroom were some of the cleanest of any hotel/motel I've ever stayed in. The staff was very friendly. The pool was clean and refreshing! It was very convenient to Skyline Caverns and scenic mountain drives. The breakfast was the biggest detractor as it was woefully inadequate. But, all in all, we'd gladly stay here again!

Room Tip: Great stay!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gapeach5287
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Like many others here, we used this motel as a starting point for hiking. While I found no faults with the motel, I will likely try a different place next time, just to check out the competition.

The motel is a conversion of a '50s motel, with a second floor added. You can see the original look on the vintage advertising postcards they give away at the desk. We paid about $60 for a room on the second floor, in a little hallway off the lobby. I'd be interested to see what the first floor is like. Second floor was typically flimsy new construction, plywood floors and drywall. Our room was modestly sized, but had a little 'kitchen' area with a sink, fridge, microwave and even a few dishes. There was a smaller TV mounted on the wall. The room and bed were clean. The bathroom was clean, and hot water was good.

The room was quiet at night, since the motel is well up the hill from the road. There was a lot of light coming in under the door from the hallway, and they should probably put some weatherstripping on the bottom, since the gap is about 2 inches. We eventually threw one of our jackets on the floor in front of it. There was a 'breakfast' of sorts on offer in the morning, but you are minutes away from town, and we found a friendly old cafe with cheap and hearty food.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank roadtripperMaryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My husband and I visit SNP at least twice a year (Spring & Fall) and usually stay at the Quality Inn, which we were not at all happy with on our last stay (Sept. 2011) ~ We decided to give the Cool Harbor Motel a shot and glad we did. The staff were extremely helpful and didn't mind at all when we asked to see the room before booking, the room #222, was small but very and I mean very clean and comfortable. Our room appeared to have been recently renovated with new carpet, new furniture, new linen, curtains and bathroom. The room was tastefully decorated with a nice size fridge and microwave. The only draw backs were you could hear the road traffic even with being closed up.(Police cars w/sirens on two or three times) and the breakfast was kinda shabby. All in all, we will definately stay at the Cool Harbor again. Thanks for making our trip to SNP so enjoyable..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sissy B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2012

We used this as our jumping off point for a trip down Skyline and the Blue Ridge parkway. The motel was perfectly nice, but nothing special. The room seemed clean, but dated. Definitely worth heading to Main St to eat, rather than taking the recommendation from the lady behind the desk though. It's only a 5 minute drive, and there's much more to choose from.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LucyAakash
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Our experience was a nice one. The room was clean, the lobby is relaxing and nice. There's a decent sized refrigerator, a microwave, coffee maker and nice countertop area. There was no clock radio, but you can probably use your cell phone, or maybe ask for a wakeup call if need be. We didn't go to the continental breakfast, so we can't comment on that. The room itself had pretty nice furniture, especially for a place with modest rates. The only thing I wished was that the TV had more channels, but actually, there's a LOT to do around here (shopping, restaurants, video stores if you have a puter that plays DVDs, etc.) and you're very close to Skyline Drive and Shenendoah National Park, and many other places to go and things to do, so you really don't notice it that much...and if you're a sports fan, they have all 3 ESPN stations. Also, although the motel has nothing to do with this, as they were all VERY nice to us, be careful driving locally around here...because most of it is 25 mph and there are speed traps...ESPECIALLY, it seems, if you have "Yankee" plates.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor level facing west has nice views of the mountains.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
#5 of 9 in Front Royal
Ramada Strasburg
Ramada Strasburg
#2 of 5 in Strasburg

Been to Cool Harbor Motel? Share your experiences!