“Wanda is great but keep driving”
Review of Cool Harbor Motel

Cool Harbor Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Front Royal
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Wanda is great but keep driving”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Wanda, the front-desk person and manager, is awesome, and did everything in her power to make our stay pleasant, but the room was a dump and the place was an overall dump. The steps leading up to the second floor were rickety and in need of paint and repair, and there were cigarette butts everywhere. The room looked and smelled scary: the carpet had large stains, and the pillows were thin and frumpy. We enjoyed the pool, and the best little Italian pizzeria was a close walk away, but the place should be avoided. It would be one thing if they charged $35 for a night, which is what they should be charging for the kind of room and place it was, but our bill was close to $100 with taxes. I loved Wanda and her upbeat smile and attitude, but she needs some help from the owners to fix up the place and upgrade the carpet and bedding, stairs, breakfast room, etc.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cyclistchick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Front Royal, Virginia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I got stuck in Front Royal due to some vehicle problems, and stayed at this Motel. The staff and management treated everyone like they were family. They answered any questions about town and gave me suggestions where to go ear and sites to see. The rooms were some what dated but comfortable. The pool was good, the price is really good when I was due to my vehicle repair, even after check out they left me stay in the lobby till I got my car in the afternoon. Hilly recommend

• Stayed June 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed at Cool Harbor last weekend with my family when we had unexpectedly warm weather. It cannot compare with a new and corporate managed hotel in terms of amenities and overall "newness", as some of the furniture is a bit dated. But the attitude and friendliness of the owners, combined with the great price, and the small-town charm of the place made it a place I would definitely return to in the future.

We were given all sorts of helpful advice as to where to go, what restaurants to avoid, and other friendly local advice, and the owner, Julie, personally made sure we had everything we needed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back - I think they are bigger.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike S
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed 20 June 2013

It really is hard to write a review for Cool Harbor Motel. We were cycling the Skyline Drive and would have preferred someplace closer to the Skyline, but those motels got horrible reviews and when we saw them, we were glad we didn't book a room in any of them. Getting to the Cool Harbor by bicycle was no picnic, but the place was well maintained, the room was clean and large. The desk staff were friendly and they really do try hard--offering a "continental breakfast" that really wasn't and maintaining the outside with flowers and a coi pond. Not the best area of town, though, and we were told we should bring our bikes inside our room. Luckily there was enough room but we had to carry them up some pretty steep stairs. A decent room for a decent price if you're only staying a night on your way through town. Some eateries close by or a quick drive to the downtown area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucyspin
Virginia
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Straight out of the past, but residing in the present, this place was unremarkable. From the outside, it looks like it has seen way better days, and you have to climb some pretty steep steps to get inside. Very bad for those with mobility issues. The lobby was spic and span and seemed to be up to date in its presentation. Our room was right off the lobby which made it nice when we couldn't get the key to open the lock. Two steps to the desk and we had help. Extra pillows came when requested, and the bed was typical motel-grade, but not lumpy or slopey. Our room, the unrealistically named Honeymoon Suite, was absolutely huge, more like two rooms combined with a couch, table & chairs, microwave, and plenty of space to move around. The walls, however, were paper thin! We heard the local country-fied good-old-boy chatting up the desk clerk late into the evening with absolute clarity. In the morning, the clatter in the lobby worked its way into my dreams, where I thought a party had invaded my private room. Thus, sleep was kind of restless. But, you'll not find a friendlier desk clerk anywhere in the area, I'm sure.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reinholds, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The room was clean but the a/c didn't work all the time. We were suppose to get deluxe queen size bed and we got 2 double beds. We booked through hotels.com which was another joke because they couldn't help with the issue. the manager at cool harbor said they didn't get that we wanted 3 deluxe queen but they sure got the reservations for 3 different rooms....hmmm really are we stupid? Or maybe you just decided to give the rooms away. the beds were hard and the pillows sucked. The free continental breakfast was a joke. Don't waste your money go somewhere else. everyone was blaming the other.

Room Tip: Just check the reviews and maybe don't go through hotels.com since they couldn't help
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Front Royal hotels

East Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 13 January 2013

This hotel was quite sub-par in my expectations. I was hoping to receive a cheap night's stay in a local motel but instead got average pricing in a run-down motel with all sorts of nastyness.

Arriving at the hotel at night, I was unable to convince the Front Desk person to give me a special rate, but at least I was able to convince him not to charge me $6 extra for the two extra people we had. The room came with two double beds and we were four people.

The hotel room had the usual set up, two beds and a TV. The biggest problem was the heating, which barely worked. Luckily we doubled up in the beds and were able to create at least some sort of comfort. Everything else in the room was rather old and the 15 inch TV looked like it came straight out of the 90's.

The most shocking part was when we went to the Car later in the night to retrieve some items. Coming back up the stairs we were greeted, by what can only be called a prostitute. Oh well, maybe someone else's cup of tea.

The continental breakfast was meager and I was glad to be out of there.

Room Tip: Do not stay when the weather is cold, it takes forever to warm up.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
#4 of 9 in Front Royal
Ramada Strasburg
Ramada Strasburg
#2 of 5 in Strasburg

Been to Cool Harbor Motel? Share your experiences!