“Tasty yet expensive”

Soul Mountain Cafe
Ranked #35 of 88 Restaurants in Front Royal
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Eclectic Cuisine; some fusion with a whole lot of Soul! Not soul food, but food for the soul in a mountain of flavors. Our eclectic menu is crafted to suit all appetites because we take pride in preparing all plates fresh to order, so have patience for real food, not fast food. Excite your palate! Absolutely the best BBQ in the valley. Known especially for our brisket, pulled pork, and St. Louis style ribs with our house made Doc’s BBQ sauce, right here on 300 East Main St. in historic Front Royal, Virginia, We serve American, Barbeque, Burgers, Cajun/Creole, Caribbean, Sandwiches, Seafood, Steakhouse and Vegetarian cuisine. We take reservations; walk-ins welcome. We are happy to book for large groups, promote a kid-friendly environment, and provide Take Out, Delivery, and Catering services. Outdoor seating available for the warmer months. Our hours of operations are: Tue – Thu: 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm Fri – Sat: 12:00 pm – 9:00pm Sun: 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
“Tasty yet expensive”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed your dinner, especially my son with his curry chicken, but I found it a wee pricey. I will however visit you again on another special occasion.

• Visited June 2013

“Won't know”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We heard the food was good but won't know. 30 min after we order we checked on the salad and wings we ordered. 10 min later we checked again and she said it was being plated. 10 min later we checked and she said "it's been like this all day. I dont know what is going on" and she began to cut up lettuce for our salad. We were gone! Dont recommend this place if timing or being truthful matters to you.

1 Thank Laurie S
Front Royal, Virginia
“Good food, but the place needs spiffying up”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Hadn't been back to "Soul Mountain" in quite a while. They were moderately busy, and our server was efficient, fun and made our lunch more enjoyable. The meals were good, and my husband and his friend definitely enjoyed the HUGE brisket sandwiches. We like that you can substitute grilled veggies for the French fries. My friend and I had the crab bisque soup and a small salad. The crab bisque soup is basically their tomato bisque soup with some crab meat thrown in. It was OK, but nothing special. The salad was good, but could have used a touch more dressing. We split a Crème Brulee, which was good. However, it does not have to be served with whipped cream on top (this is the second time in Front Royal we've experienced this - will have to remember to say "No whipped cream" in the future). The custard was good, but the crust was strange, and I can't pinpoint why. It wasn't glossy and crunchy like regular crème brulee. Our server proudly let us know that she had made the dessert! She was cute and fun and an asset to their business.

Now to the part they need to work on - the décor/cleanliness. I have real problems when floors and tables are sticky. I think they just need a steam cleaning on everything, and some paint to touch up the walls. If you want to be an up-scale (for Front Royal) restaurant, than do it 100%!

We all liked our meals and most likely will go back.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank momE1
Front Royal, Virginia
“A very poor decision for a night out”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I understand in small towns food choices are slim, but it doesn't make it ok to settle for sub standard cuisine. The dining atmosphere is quite plain and does not really scream culinary creativity or interest in establishing a theme for a customer base. Only three other tables were occupied upon our arrival. After looking over a hectic menu (with many options that didn't seem to go well together due to the offerings of bbq, pasta dishes, and then sea food) I decided upon the pulled pork dinner. We waited for a minor 20 minutes for our food and when it arrived the presentation of the food was very odd to say the least. The pulled pork had thick fat so prominent in it that it seemed to be all that made up the pulled pork, the mashed potatoes looked as if someone made a very small unimaginative castle out of them and the mixed vegetables looked soggy and didn't include any mix unless you count zucchini and onions as mixed vegetables. At the first bite of the pulled pork the special bbq sauce touted on the menu fell short of expectation due to the overpowering flavor of pepper in every bite. The mashed potatoes were actually quite flavorless and somehow managed to be gritty! I still have no idea how someone could get mashed potatoes to be gritty. The vegetables were sopped in butter and quite cold even though they had just come from the kitchen. The meals were well overpriced for the quality, taste, presentation, atmosphere, and overall experience. This will be our only visit to this restaurant and I would advise all others to stay away.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank Bakes419
Winchester
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food..”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The food was delicious and a very good value. Best BBQ I've tasted in a long time. We'll definately go back again.

Visited January 2014