“No More Hilton/Hamptons”
Review of Hampton Inn Galax

Hampton Inn Galax
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Galax
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Can't comment about the room/service etc. of this hotel, We PAID for the
room, but didn't stay there. Big messy mixup and ugly dispute between the
Hillsville Hampton and Galax Hampton owners/managers. Hillsville Hampton
desk clerks told us that they could CANCEL our reservation at Galax, (at 3 p.m.) and rent
us a room after we had driven 400 miles. We took them at their word.....BIG
MISTAKE....We ended up paying for BOTH rooms, but didn't stay at Galax.
Hillsville Hampton didn't follow through as they assured us they would, so we
got charged for the room at Galax because Galax had a 24-hr cancellation policy.
(most Hamptons we have stayed at have a 'cancel before 6 p.m. same day' policy.)
I contacted Hilton Customer Service, and they said they would look into it. Later
they emailed us to say that the charge would not be negotiated or dropped, as the
owner of Galax Hampton refused. OK.....so I paid the $145. for the room, and a week
later, I got an confusing email. When I inquired about the email, I was told that I should
disregard it, as it was sent to me in error. However....it had a familiar 'ring' to it......same
situation where a customer was contesting the charge,.....same ugly mixup with the
Hillsville Hampton. Bottom line................Was charged the $145.......In the future, we'll find a good room at one of Hilton's competitors in North Carolina or another state. Always stay
at the desk until the clerks actually call...and get a confirmation number for a cancelation.
(Don't take their word for it.) If they had actually called and was told that there was a 24 hr. cancellation policy, we would have just told them that we would drive the extra 8 mi. to the Galax....Why not?? We're very disappointed in Hampton. What a way to treat customers who have used the brand for over 15 years.! Hard lesson, but we feel that as the customer, we STILL have some power.....we
can go elsewhere to a Holiday INN, Marriott, or other competitor......and definitely will.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Galax

Reviewed 28 September 2013

We came to Galax on business and the company with whom I was working booked us here for one night. Since it was a long drive and we had never been to Galax before, we decided to stay an extra day to explore. The hotel staff was able to shuffle some things around so that we could stay a second night without having to move rooms which really made things easier. The hotel itself was clean, relaxing and comfortable. Love the fact that they use duvet covers that are washed for each guest -- I hate the idea of hotel bedspreads. One thing that was a HUGE plus was the 24/7 access to GOOD coffee in the lobby. We had brought our own bag to brew in the room but the room pots are not set up for regular sized filters so this was a lifesaver. Pool area was clean and the hot tub was nice. Exercise room was terrific -- glad they had elliptical machines as some hotels only have stationary bikes and treadmills. Internet much easier to access than in many hotels. Night staff super-friendly and welcoming. Breakfast was standard but no complaints -- definitely welcome. Also like that there are not just cookies but also fresh fruits available in the lobby all the time. Thanks for making business travel feel like a vacation!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We enjoy staying at Hampton, it is an excellent experience. The staff is so personable and ready to meet any need that we may have. We enjoyed breakfast and the unlimited items available. We will surely take advantage of this facility when we are in the area again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Hotel was very clean, quiet and the staff was most helpful with any questions I had. Great location in the center of town and accessible to everything. The Breakfast could use a little work but overall was satisfying. The snack bag for our morning commute to meetings was a so much needed. Gives you that extra pick me up before lunch. Would stay here anytime I am in the area for business or leisure.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2013

After travelling on the motorcycle for six days and staying at some "acceptable" hotels, this place was the bomb! We arrived after 12 hours on the bikes and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. Fresh cookies were available, the breakfast area looked great and I knew it would be comfortable. The room was very nice, wide array of channel selections, microwave, frig and coffee maker. I had double queens though I only needed one. The bathroom was clean, bed was very comfy.

Breakfast was exceptional. Fresh oatmeal? Holy smokes, I was use to the packets.... Great stay, off the main road and restaurants in the immediate area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hotel was very clean, both inside and out. Location was very convenient. Rooms were very nice and roomy. Bed was comfortable. Free continental breakfast was very good. Staff was very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Upon arriving, things were not acceptable. We arrived to check in and were the only ones at the desk with two people working (one was on the phone making a reservation). Gave the other person our name on the reservation and she looked it up and said we would have to wait for the other person to get off the phone so she could handle it. We had booked a specific room. We were told upon check in that we would not be getting that room because the people that had it reserve the night before decided to extend their stay (even though we had already reserved the room before this happened). The staff was aware of this earlier in the day but did not even bother to call me about this and I drove several hours to this area. We were then offered a different room at a suggested discount. The lady was stupid to think that I hadn't checked prices on the rooms before I booked. She of course was offering me a room at a regular rate. She then dropped the rate a little. We were not pleased at all but the hotel knew that everything in that area was booked so they had us stuck. My husband signed the slip that showed the charge for the room. He asked if the amount on the slip was the total and he was told yes. During the night, a receipt was slid under our room door that had a different and higher amount that was being charged to his card. We finally got things straightened out the next morning with another helpful and courteous employee. The view from our room was unacceptable and so was the large crack in the door that let in a lot of light from the hallway. I have never been in a hotel where your coffee pot was on a shelf in the bathroom. That is just disgusting. Woke up with terrible back ache from bed. Way over priced. Upon check in the older lady we encountered (either manager or owner, not sure) had no personality and did not seem to care anything about the guests. Love the area but will stay in another town. Only reason I could see staying in this hotel is because this is the "best" hotel in the town. I have stayed in more expensive and less expensive but have never been as dissatisfied as I was here and how I was treated. The couple who had the room I reserved should have been the ones to have switched out to another room when they decided to stay another night. I should not have lost the room I reserved due to that fact and the staff even stated that was why I was not getting my reserved room. They knew about this several hours before I arrived and did not have the common courtesy to contact me even though they had my cell phone number on record.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angie C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galax
Comfort Inn
#6 of 8 in Hillsville
Knights Inn Galax
Knights Inn Galax
#2 of 5 in Galax

Been to Hampton Inn Galax? Share your experiences!