“If you like mountain music, you need to visit”

Blue Ridge Music Center
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Galax
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at Milepost 213 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Nice little museum, but most importantly the music. In the summer, a jam session every afternoon, and night time concerts with decent regional bands in a nice outdoor setting for ten bucks.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Blue Ridge Music Center is located just above the Virginia-North Carolina border on the Parkway. While driving, we noticed a small sign for the center, decided to pull over, and we're blown away by the complete facility. Big Saturday night concerts every weekend through the summer, but equally impressive is the group of local musicians playing in the facility. The musicianship was very high, and what was more interesting, was the group of musicians sitting in with the regulars, two very fine Canadian fiddlers, and a banjo player from Australia. We really enjoyed the music and the musical exchange as the players talked about different ways to play the same tune.
The visitor center exhibits were equally enlightening. This is very much worth a visit and a listen.

1  Thank TUFish
Reviewed 12 August 2014

It's places like this that make America such a great place to visit. Driving off the Blue Ridge Parkway into the Music Centre we were greeted by the sound of live music. We looked around the excellent museum and chatted to a well informed guide and then we sat down and dropped out of the real world for an hour. The Buck Mountain Band were playing and chatting and all six of them (that includes the dog) were brilliant. I now know the difference between Blue Grass and Old Time Appalachian music and much else of interest for a woman from an English village! I also have a greater empathy for the double bass player who is clearly an unsung heroine. Such amazing event and absolutely free of charge; thank you.

1  Thank Hollowell
Reviewed 11 August 2014

On a recent week-long vacation just five miles down the road, this was my first visit to the Music Center. I was there during the week and missed out on the Saturday night concert but my parents enjoy going regularly with a picnic dinner on the lawn at the ampitheatre. The Center itself is lovely, well-designed and very informative. We also spent a bit of time listening to the free jam session held by the various rotating musicians. I liked it so much that I returned two days later with my husband in tow and we spent much more time exploring the museum, watching the videos, and listening to the music samples. Great choice for an afternoon well spent!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stopped at the Blue Ridge Music Center as art of a 1200 mile, 3 day road trip. It was a beautiful new facility with a wonderful exhibit about the origins and history of southern music.

There was a small group playing mountain music and the ranger was very helpful. His name was Casey.

I STRONGLY suggest better signage. I suggested that they should have more prominent signs and they said the rules of the Blue Ridge Parkway mountains do not allow them to add signs. I was, however, talking about the kind of signs that are approved and are in other places in the park denoting various things.