“Convenient Location”

Hyatt Place Richmond/Innsbrook
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We spent one night here while attending a family dinner at Hondo's, which is adjacent. It was a Saturday night, and we arrived at 3pm to find both of our rooms ready. Staff was both helpful and friendly.

The lobby and public areas were all clean, but only one of their two elevators was in operation. That led to some lengthy waits. Our room (510) was clean and prepared, but it looked as if some of the furniture was in need to refreshment. The toilet and shower area was quite small for the room size, and the air conditioner was a bit on the noisy side. Sleep quality was poor on a hard bed, and the TV had the Hyatt Place logo and info screen burned into the screen.

Room functionality was great, with both the bed and sofa bed. I was pleased that the hotel was fairly quiet, as there were a number of high school teams staying there during weekend lacrosse and baseball tournaments.

Unfortunately, those teams cleaned out the kitchen of breakfast by about 8am on Sunday morning. For part of our family that slept in just a bit, there was little left to eat, and they had to head out and purchase breakfast.

While I would probably stay here again, it would depend on price points. A little refreshing would go a long way.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Place Richmond/Innsbrook

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here from 06/29-07/01/14 on business. My husband traveled with me and it didn't cross my mind that he'd need somewhere to go on the day of checkout until 4pm. I was allowed to check out later than the normal time with no additional charges!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Carl B, General Manager at Hyatt Place Richmond/Innsbrook, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for the Five Star review. And thank you very much for highlighting the efforts of Gwen and Martin.

-Carl

Reviewed 28 June 2014

The staff was very accommodating and helpful.Even when the elevators weren't working they tried their best.The front desk staff were exceptional.Gwen Bailey and Martin King went above and beyond to make your stay comfortable.

1  Thank Robin T
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

The rooms here are very clean. So are the main areas. Breakfast was average, a few cooked sandwiches and the usual cereal options, yogurt options, etc.
The biggest pain about staying here was that we were on the 6th floor and the elevator was broken on the 6th floor. We didn't know this until we went to take down our luggage and started down the stairs with it all until a worker stopped us and told us we could call the desk and they'd send someone up since the elevator did work going up. We were wondering why they didn't tell us this at the desk when we checked in.,... We almost went through the hassle of lugging all of our stuff down 6 flights of stairs. Also, one of the only 2 ice machines, the one on our floor, was broken as well. Pool needed to be cleaned. Mainly all maintenance issues.
Other than that, the place was good. Average at best just because of the above issues... But service was good.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My family has just returned from a very disappointing, somewhat unpleasant weekend in this hotel. The physical plant is like every other Hyatt Place I've stayed in--which is to say that it's not the Ritz, but it's fine--but the service left a lot to be desired. I place the blame for this on management, and not on the front-line workers in the hotel, who were generally pleasant.

This weekend, the "panel" for the elevator system (I assume this means the operating software) is being updated, so guests were not permitted to operate the elevators themselves. Instead, the hotel had to use the fire override feature, and have an employee operate the elevator, like in a movie from 1940. If you wanted the elevator sent to your floor, you had to phone the front desk and ask them to dispatch the elevator, which they did with a walkie-talkie. This was somewhat inconvenient, but it's not the reason why I'm rating the hotel "poor."

I'm rating the hotel "poor" because the elevator situation seemed to have a ripple effect throughout the hotel, and management didn't address it well. Not only was one employee always in the elevator, but service at the front desk was slow, because the employees were diverted from their usual tasks to answer phone calls and the elevator. Luggage carts were nowhere to be found because, with hotel staff running the elevators, guests had helped themselves and then left the carts scattered throughout the hotel. Housekeeping was affected, too. On Saturday we were out of our room from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and came back to find that our room had not been cleaned. At 4:15, a housekeeper knocked on our door, expressed some surprise at finding us in the room, and asked if we wanted service. She apologized politely for not getting to us sooner, and told us that the hotel had had an unusually high number of check-outs, and she had had to prepare guest rooms for new arrivals. She was quite nice about the whole matter, but the management should never have put her in that position.

The hotel was simply inadequately staffed this weekend. Anybody could see that things weren't running well, but I couldn't see that management was doing anything to make things run better.

There are at least 5 other hotels within a quarter mile of this Hyatt Place. That being the case, I can't see any good reason to stay here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We attended a family gathering that had a block of rooms arranged at this property. Unfortunately, there were a few issues that marred our stay.
First, the room is just oddly designed. The tub/toilet are in a teensy-weensy space (so small the towel rack is in the tub). Clearly, the room is meant to accommodate a group of people--there is a king bed and a fold-out sofa--but drying off and getting dressed in that teeny room were a challenge.

Moreover, the teeny-weeny closet and teeny-weeny shower/toilet room both open into the space occupied by the too-small vanity (which is also where you would find the only storage drawers in the room). It's just poorly-laid out, with everyone in the room needing to be in exactly the same space at once.

The living area is quite spacious--even with the couch folded out, you can walk around. So that's nice. But some of that space could be better used.

Now, to the other issues that were specific to this property/stay--
First, the elevators weren't working. I have no idea what the problem was, but they had them on manual operation all weekend, and to get an elevator you had to call the desk and request it be sent to your floor. To get one going up...well, good luck, because sometimes there wasn't anyone at the desk you could ask to summon one. We were on the 5th floor and I walked up and down several times. In heels. P.S., the stairways seem to be heated, which is probably nice in the winter. It was not nice in mid-June.

Second, it seemed (perhaps because staff were diverted to the elevators?) like the place was just understaffed all around. Reading other reviews that say people's rooms weren't ready at check in time suggests to me that it isn't just related to the elevators, and that this is a long-term problem. We returned to our room at 3:30 (having left before 10) and it hadn't been made up. Someone from housekeeping knocked at 4 and asked if we wanted the room made up. I said, "Well, that would have been nice, but we're here now and we're in until 6:30." The housekeeper tried to explain she'd had X number of checkouts and that was why she hadn't gotten to our room. I suspect that they had a lot of checkouts BECAUSE THE ELEVATORS WEREN'T WORKING and surely they could have anticipated this? But, honestly, I wasn't very interested in excuses...So, I took some fresh towels and gave her the stuff that had been left in the refrigerator by the previous guests (suggests a problem with housekeeping wasn't isolated), and gave her our used towels and what more could be done, really?

I'll add that they had a bit of trouble keeping up with coffee at breakfast, but that might be due to there being quite a few guests all on the same schedule. The coffee was pretty awful so in the end it wasn't tragic that I couldn't get a full cup. It is some Starbucks blend that someone must like but I do not.

There are a lot of different hotels near this location. If I were to return to Innsbrook, I'd pick another one. Moreover, I'm not sure I'd pick a Hyatt Place again when traveling with a group of 3-4. There are enough beds to go around, but the room just isn't comfortably designed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. I was traveling on business, and I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel that was tucked away in an office park behind a strip mall and just down the street from the larger Short Pump mall. The staff is extremely pleasant and helpful. The check in folks were playful, but professional. Every time I walked through the lobby, someone always asked if I needed anything in a very friendly, rather than obsequious, way. Everything appeared clean and neat and very well-maintained.

The room was wonderful – spacious, with separated living and bedroom spaces. The flat screen TV is mounted on a pivot, so you can watch it from either area. There was a huge, comfy corner couch and ottoman. Comfortable office chair by the desk. There was a kitchen area with a min-fridge. The closet was a little hard to find, and the bathroom was oddly cramped compared to the size of the rest of the room. There are no robes and no security safe. They keep the rooms super-cold, which I really appreciated, but I wish they had a comforter or something more substantial on the bed, rather than a thin sheet and blanket.

My biggest criticism is that this hotel has no room service. Luckily I arrived earlier in the evening, and one of the managers (Janice) was able to direct me to nearby restaurants for dinner. However, on most business trips, I usually arrive late and just want dinner in my room before having to get up early for meetings – this hotel would not have been able to accommodate that. There is an area in the lobby where you can buy cold sandwiches and the like, but it's not the same. Something to keep in mind.

The morning breakfast was free, but basic. Nice to have while traveling though.

Overall, a great experience. I would definitely recommend to anyone passing through the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for the Four Star review.

-Carl

Aloft Richmond West
Aloft Richmond West
#15 of 23 in Glen Allen
Homewood Suites by Hilton Richmond-West End

Been to Hyatt Place Richmond/Innsbrook? Share your experiences!