“Want a clean room? Don't stay here.”

Courtyard Richmond North/Glen Allen
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
World Citizen
“Want a clean room? Don't stay here.”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I travel a lot and I realize that sometimes you walk into a hotel room that is not quite up to par. When it happens I always remind myself of the number of times I have arrived early and the Front Desk has rushed a housekeeper to get me into a room. So, I am forgiving of the occasional less than perfect room. HOWEVER, this Courtyard locations pretty much crossed the line where I am willing to just chalk it up to something random happening.

I arrived about 9pm and open the door to the room. There is a wet mess on the floor and carpet where someone (the last guest) spilled a cup of coffee. On the wall it's dried a fairly dark brown color at this point. Ok, I think...maybe the housekeeper just didn't see it. How, I do not know but maybe she didn't.

I put my bags down and go into the bathroom. I look at the tub. It's not just dirty...it looks like it has not been scrubbed in months. Err...Ok. Then I look at the toilet. It's clean but the base is pretty much a funky mess. Is it clean, probably? Should it be cleaned better. Hell, yes. Maybe it needs to be re-caulked so it does not look like it's a dirty mess? Then, I wash my hands. Things start to go down hill fast... there are two short 'n curlies in the sink bowl. Ok, they will go down the sink when I wash my hands. No sweat! Then I go to grab a hand towel. On the hand towel is what looks like snot. It's not a clean but stained towel...it's dried snot or something else. Still, I am trying to give the housekeeper the benefit of the doubt at this point. I am thinking the head housekeeper should have checked this room better but maybe she missed it on her spot check?? Maybe she too is partially blind and is working hard to make ends meet. I want to let it slide and I do.

I finally make it to bed and then I pull back the covers and that's when I decided that this was my last stay at this Courtyard....EVER. This was one bridge too far. In the middle of the bed the sheets are dirty. So yea, these sheets were not changed when the last guests checked out. They had a great time "sleeping" in that bed. I did not.

There are 4 other hotels within a mile of this place. Stay there. This place is not worth the effort or the health risk.

Room Tip: Bring your own sheets and cleaning supplies. Block out 30 mins to clean it.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank myvoiceofreason

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Upon entering the hotel I thought this was going to be a great experience with all the updated decor , little did I know, I was in for a rude awakening. First when checking in Anna said that we would be charged 40$ for incidentals and second we made the reservation two days prior and ended up getting a handicapped accessible room with dirty carpet, stopped up bathtub, and an extra 190.00 $ hold which as we speak has not been released. In a nutshell dont book this hotel unless you really have extra money to put on hold for incidentals and you dont mind your bathtub being stopped up and you dont mind walking on dirty carpet... Oh and before you get there pack your own cleaning supplies, you will have to clean your room to get a GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP... Angry in NC

5 Thank Kedagurl
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 July 2013

One of the better looking Courtyard Marriotts. Rooms were excellent, hotel layout has modern look throughout. Restaurant/Bar has adequate selection of items to order. The location is convenient to get to major highway, but far away enough so that noise (traffic) is not a factor. Plenty of restaurants and shops very close to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
peabody, ma
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

We were driving back from Florida and it was late. We saw a sign and checked to see if they had anything for the night. They did at almost half the cost of a competitor. This place was immaculate and there was a soccer tournament team there so they put us up on the 4th floor away from them. I would definitely stay here again!

1 Thank judy c
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I have stayed at this Courtyard 30 nights over the past year, most recently in February 2013. The hotel is set up in the standard Courtyard layout, with the restaurant/bar in an open setting in the lobby and the standard Courtyard room. I thought the lobby and restaurant area was well maintained, and found the front desk staff and restaurant personnel to be better than average. The room cleanliness was acceptable, and the one issue I had (no iron in room) was attended to within 15 minutes.
The location of the hotel is convenient, with I-95 and I-295 extremely close, and is only 25 minutes from the airport. Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to someone who needs to stay in the area and seeks the comfort of knowing what you will get from a Courtyard.

Room Tip: First floor has too much traffic. South facing rooms are partially shaded from lights by trees, and...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JOHN L
Clifton, Virginia
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Marriott is our home away from home....We stayed at this particular Marriott Courtyard the weekend of college graduation for our daughter. It is conveniently located to several great restaurants in Glen Allen, is clean, comfortable and accommodating. The front desk staff were friendly and were able to answer several questions regarding the area for us.

We felt safe and secure as well as parking our car in the parking lot. It was well lighted and has a side door for entry with your access key. Rooms are beautifully furnished and the beds were clean and comfy. Thermostat worked, there was plenty of hot water and an ice machine right across the hall. This Marriott has a breakfast bar but we chose, instead to run thru a neighboring Starbucks. Great experience all round.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Deb S
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 11:00 pm after driving in from New York City only to be told that our room was not ready. It was being cleaned. At 11:00 pm at night? This hotel obviously has serious management and staffing problems and should be booked with caution. Better yet, go somewhere else. There was no manager on duty and the hotel was in chaos.

5 Thank Wanderer22_12