“Fantastic Hotel with Poor Customer Service”

Courtyard Richmond North/Glen Allen
Ranked #12 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel and it is a great hotel. Out of the hussle and bussle of Richmond proper but quick access to everything! Hotel is very clean. Rooms are nice.

My only issue was when I went to the front desk at 11:30 on the morning of Nov 17, the woman working the front desk was on the Marriott phone making a hair appointment. She was attempting to ring up another guest who was making a purchase from the snacks. It was taking her so long because she was focused on her personal call. And she was totally ignorning me, another paying hotel guest. I believe her name was Shanel (or something similar to that).

That type of service is NOT respresentative of Marriott.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Jesse R, Manager at Courtyard Richmond North/Glen Allen, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

I apologize for your experience here at the Courtyard. In addition, I thank you for your response and informing us of our downfall. I also agree, this is not the Marriott service that our guest expect, nor is it the service I expect us to deliver. I have spoken to the front desk agent with whom rendered this subpar service and I can assure you this will not happen again. If you decide to visit with us again, please inform the desk so they can reach me and I can speak with you personally. Again thank you for your comment.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Have stayed here three times. This is a quality hotel - clean, well maintained, friendly and helpful staff. The location among many stores, restaurants and even a movie theater is very convenient. My chief beef is the having to pay for breakfast - an overpriced, mediocre meal at that. This is true of most, if not all, Courtyards. You can get a much better value - and equally comfy room - at a Holiday Inn Express, which charges a much lower room rate and includes a nice breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelingman16
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This place was very nice for a business stay. I stay at the J W Marriotts and usually will seek them out since I have always had good consistent experiences at all of those properties. This is the first time at a Courtyard and the value was good, property was new and the ability to get food and drinks (and ice cream!) in the lobby was great. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Checked in for a relaxing few days from my busy home. It was just what I needed to recoup and relax. The hotel was quiet. The bed was really comfortable. The cleanliness of my room was close to my germaphobic standards. Did not use any of the services, but the staff was friendly with check in and check out. The overall hotel was of decent quality and not run down. Room was tastefully decorated to Marriott standards I expect.

Room Tip: I explained my purpose to rest and desk clerk considered my needs when selecting my room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Sticky bathroom floors, 1 small bar of soap, 1 shampoo, 1 hair conditioner. NO complementary breakfast and a limited heat 'n' menu that was overpriced. Only coffee was Starbucks at Starbucks price. Bistro prices were high Bud was $5.75. There are better places to stay

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

My sister and I recently stayed at the Courtyard in Glen Allen, VA.We were there for the Richmond Nascar race, This was our 1st time at this hotel, we had previously stayed at another Marriott property while in Richmond. The lobby was beautiful and had lots of sitting room, a TV, A bistro and a business center. The check in went smoothly, the girl at the desk was great. We went up to our room which was very spacious, clean, the bathroom was huge. Beds were comfortable.The hotel has a nice bistro but no free continental breakfast but that was no big deal.
The shower in the room was great,there was a light in it which is nice. The staff was always friendly. The only issue we had was with the housekeeping, Friday night we came back from the track late after a night race and our room had not been cleaned. We had gotten fresh towels but nothing else was done, ( our tip was gone though). We returned to front desk, they were very good, they explained that no one was there from housekeeping( it was 11pm or so), they gave us clean glasses and made a note so it would not happen again. Kevin, who was on site all weekend, came right over to us and asked what he could do.We were also given coupons for free breakfast for the rest of our stay. We went up to bed, Saturday night we came in late after the Cup race and the beds were made and towels changed but the bathroom had not been cleaned, the same dirty glasses from Thursday night were still in the room( tip was gone again).The bathroom floor was filthy,We were leaving the next day so we decided to call it a night and tell the front desk in the morning which we did, the girl was excellent and said she would tell her manager and see it she could get us some extra Marriott points, which we did, we got 2000 extra points.All in all it was a great trip and the hotel really was great. The staff went above and beyond to fix the mistakes and we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Lobby looked like a great place to relax and hang out, there was a bar, tv and lots of space to sit...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank delana29
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Great location North of town, plenty of places to eat, great rates, great staff, two very good places to eat within walking distance. Easy access from I 95. I have stayed here twice a year for the past 5 years and always have a great experience with room quality and friendliness of staff. Famous Dave's BBQ next door as well as a Red Robin, so two good choices to eat if you don't want to drive any where. Nice pool and work out room as well.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business