“Great Price, Great Atmosphere!”

Aloft Richmond West
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Aloft is full of charm and charactor - the big comfy beds made me feel like I was home and I was impressed by the minimalism and cool color scheme. The employees were very kind and friendly when checking in and out. Lots of good memories tied to this hotel, I hope to return as soon as time allows.

The surrounding area is growing and I think in the future there will be many options for those looking for something to do within walking distance.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Aloft Richmond West, and thank you for the wonderful review. We hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The shower pressure was so low you could barely wash the soap off. The room temp never really cooled down so my daughter was complaining about being hot. The music from the bar on the street kept us awake. They did not clean the room. Used wash clothes were in the shower and it appeared all they did is pull the comforter up.

I complained about the water pressure but nothing happened.

I am told the rooms down by the pool were ok. The location is great for walking to restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Ask for a room down by the pool - I am told there was no street noise and the shower functioned prop...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

I am very sorry about your recent experience at the Aloft Richmond West. The stay over service you received was obviously incomplete as the towels and washcloths should have been replaced, however, the sheets are only changed if the card is left on the bed. Otherwise, the bed is remade with the same sheets, and I apologize for any confusion. I do understand your concern about the temperature of the room. This is the last room we tried to occupy this weekend, not because the AC is malfunctioning, but because the guest in the room below had the heat set to 90 degrees. I understand that we were sold out this weekend, and I hope that at the very least, a fan was offered. In regards to water pressure, this is the first time we have experienced a concern like this and could have been due to the fact that we were sold out, and most rooms, for the same event, and the number of people showering at the same time could have caused this, however I do have my engineer going up to inspect the room today to ensure it is working properly.

We are happy that you enjoyed the location, and hope that you will stay with us again, even if you would prefer another room, perhaps closer to the pool.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I visit Short Pump 3-4 times s year and wanted to try a new hotel. I am definitely going back to my tried and true after this! I agree with the previous the reviewer who commented on how dirty the hotel lobby and rooms are. Everywhere you look something seems to need repair or cleaning. The elevators and hallways are not cooled or ventilated seemingly. I tried to speak with a staff person regarding a noise issue and was rudely dismissed. At every other hotel I have ever stayed at, can opt out of linen service for a night of your stay but here it seems to mean (this is not stated any where!) that you get no housekeeping at all for your whole stay. When I asked to have my room cleaned I was told it would take 20 minutes but not only did it take a hour but there were bloodstains on my supposedly clean sheets. Yuck! I won't be back.

• Stayed: June 2014

I'm so terribly sorry to hear that your recent experience at the Aloft Richmond West was so negative and I apologize that you have experienced such atypical challenges. We apologize for the miscommunication, however when you choose to "go green" it is logged into our operating system so that you will be able to have your choice of points or a $5 credit to ReFuel. We are more than happy to clean your room even if you have selected to "go green" we simply request that you let us know so we can update the status in our system. I apologize that this was not communicated clearly to you upon check-in and that you had to wait so long for service. The sheets are completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated here at the Aloft Richmond West. Please rest assured that we are following up on the situation to ensure it never occurs again.

I would also like to apologize for how you were rudely dismissed over a noise concern. Being a limited service property, we know it is our customer service that will bring our guests back again and again, and such an event should never happen. I apologize for this as well and would like to encourage you to reach out to my office so that I can follow up with the appropriate staff member in regards to this.

While we would understand your hesitation, we hope that you will come stay with us again at the Aloft Richmond West, so that you will see the true cleanliness and service we strive to provide every guest.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Staff responded to all of my requests.... Gave me Early check in.... Locations good..close to major offices... a lot of eateries around...Internet works great... Decent gym.....good parking space.. Like I said..nothing tocomplaint

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

We are so very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Aloft Richmond West. We're glad that you found value in many of the amenities that we offer. Thank you so much for your wonderful review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel was such a disappointment. Our room was dirty. The shower was so clogged that the water spilled out onto the floor. The whole floor smelled like someone was burning steaks. Honestly, I can't say enough how disappointing it was. Will never go back

The rating system forced me to give it a rating. That's the only reason it got a one.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of your recent stay with us at the Aloft Richmond West. I cannot apologize enough for the number of atypical challenges you experienced during your stay. Please know that this is not the standard to which we conduct ourselves here at the Aloft Richmond West and I would like to encourage you to reach out to my office at your earliest convenience so that we can discuss this further. I would like to find out what room you were in and at what day you arrived so I can follow up with Engineering and Housekeeper to ensure nothing like this ever happens again.

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Aloft in early June for a business trip. The location in the West Broad Village is very nice, with shops and restaurants within walking distance. The hotel is within 10 minutes of the office, so the location was perfect.

Location, unfortunately, is the best thing going for it.

Given the website pictures, I expected a cool, hip hotel in the same vibe as W Hotels. Once I got there, it would seem the website pictures were taken as soon as the first coat of paint dried. The hotel now looks a little worse for wear.

There seems to be a general lack of attention to detail adds up to a dingy/old look to the entire place. For example:
* The clear plastic cables of the water fountain at the entrance were loose/broken so the water dribbled along the loose cables, it didn't glow as these fountains are designed to do
* The dark gray color scheme of the entire hotel made the place look smaller, darker, and maybe dirtier than it was.
* The blue decals on the floor of the elevators were not glued on straight and one of the in the back elevator to the rooms was scratched
* There were scuff marks all along the walks of the 3rd floor
* The fabric lighting screens in the 3rd floor hall way were falling off worn Velcro and held on place with black plastic ties in certain places
* The room shades were slightly damaged
* When I arrived, the toilet had not been flushed
* The front desk was messy and littered with papers and random appliances detracting from the sleek look the hotel is obviously going for.

It's sad that management has not gone the extra mile to take care of the details, because given the great location, they could become my go-to Richmond hotel. As it is, next time I will book a room at the Hilton Short Pump, my usual hotel when I'm in town.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Marcela L
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the Aloft Richmond West. I'm sorry to hear that you are interested in staying at another hotel the next time you are in the Richmond Area. Thank you for bringing some of these items to my attention. When you stayed with us, it must have been a relatively abnormal time for the Front Desk as we typically try to keep this free and clear of clutter. Additionally, we have a company scheduled to come out and repair the lines of the fountain as the lines are unfortunately special order; however I am concerned about your note that it was not illuminated as there are three lights at the base of the fountain that I just reinserted and found them to be all on. I apologize for these maintenance concerns that you noted and I'm very disturbed to hear that the toilet had not been flushed in your room prior to your arrival and this is unacceptable. I would like to review this with Housekeeping and encourage you to reach out to my office at your earliest convince so I can learn when you stayed with us and what room you were in. Thank you again for trying us out and I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, but I am sorry that we failed to exceed your expectations. We hope to hear from you again, soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here in early May. We typically stay closer into downtown Richmond but everything was booked for graduation weekend. So, we stayed at this location and we were disappointed. First, the location is not easy if you are trying to get to and from downtown -- the traffic at the exit is terrible and you should count on 15 minutes to get off the exit and into the hotel parking lot. Plus the amount of shops and condos in this area make it a complete cluster. The hotel itself is below what I have experienced at other aloft properties -- the service was poor -- there seemed to be only one front desk person, who also managed the lobby. It was 5pm on Saturday and we wanted to grab a glass of wine after our travels and was the told the bar was closed because the person needed to manage the front desk. Really? Only one person on a Saturday evening. The rooms were fine with the exception of no shampoo -- both wall dispensers had foaming body wash and when we requested shampoo we had to call 3 times to get finally delivered. Not good when we were in a hurry to get to our events. On future visits to Richmond, we will not stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Edward M, Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

I am so very sorry to hear about all of the challenges you experienced during your stay with us at the Aloft Richmond West. I am surprised to hear that both dispensers in your room had body wash, and that the service you received was poor. I'm also surprised to hear that on a Saturday night we did not have the bar opened by 5pm. To my knowledge, this has not happened recently, and while there may have been a reason for the Food and Beverage Supervisor to need to watch the desk for a Front Desk Agent running a request item to a guest room, the Food and Beverage Supervisor should have been present and working the bar from 5pm until midnight. I apologize for this atypical experience and would like it if you would be able to reach out to me in the near future so that I can find out what day you stayed with us as well as what room you were in so that I can identify any and all challenges and ensure they are corrected. Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention so that we can improve. It is our goal to exceed our guests' expectations and it is through feedback like this that we improve to achieve our goal. I apologize again for the service you received and hope that you will come stay with us again to see the service we strive to provide all our guests. I also look forward to speaking with you in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Allen
Hampton Inn Richmond-West
Hampton Inn Richmond-West
#1 of 23 in Glen Allen
Hyatt Place Richmond/Innsbrook

Been to Aloft Richmond West? Share your experiences!