“Some good, some bad”

Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
New York
“Some good, some bad”
Reviewed 10 July 2010

My partner and I stayed at this aloft hotel twice in the past few weeks. It is a beautifully designed hotel, and that by far is its best feature. It's difficult for tight-budget aesthetes like me to find contemporary places to stay at an affordable price, and this place qualifies.

But it seems that we payed in other ways. There is no--I repeat NO--insulation in the walls. From belching to phone conversations to opening and closing the window shade, every little activity in the adjacent rooms was audible. At one point I went to the corner to make sure there wasn't a physical passageway between rooms. I was convinced I could see into the other room, that's how clearly we could hear. This made for some difficult and poor quality sleep.

Another plus: proximity to whole foods. Walk there for a healthy dinner. Another minus: taxi fare from the airport. Outrageous price, more than the fare from Heathrow to central London, even when you account for the exchange rate!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
gmaloft, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, 23 July 2010
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your experience. I am very sorry that the walls did not provide an appropriate sound buffer between yours and the adjacent rooms. To better address the situation I will need to visit that specific room. If you could contact me directly at carl.barnes@aloftrichmondwest.com with your room number I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to more accurately address the situation. Thank you for you kind words as well. We pride ourselves in being a very affordable alternative to everyday travel/hotels and I am very pleased that you share our opinion. Our proximity to Whole Foods and other great dining options is also a huge plus and as the development grows so do the number of choices.

Again, thank you for your time.

Carl Barnes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Chicago
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Hotel staff is friendly but under-staffed and poorly trained. Air conditioning is frequently broken and hot water is scare. Food and trash from the last guests can be often found in rooms. Thin walls allow guests to hear phone conversations, television and night time activities of neighboring guests. What could have been a fun hotel is turned into a nightmare with shoddy workmanship and poor upkeep.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
gmaloft, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, 30 June 2010
Thank you for taking the time to bring to my attention your experience. I am very sorry that you met our hotel and staff in such a condition. I assure you that as issue are brought to my attention they are met with immediate action. I am glad to say we have had modifications made to our hot water system to fully meet the needs of our quickly increasing occupancy. The AC has also recently been fine tuned. I will ensure that your comments are shared with the staff.

Again, thank you very much,

Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed 24 June 2010

I thought that this hotel was great for the price. It was really difficult to find, so some road signage might be a good idea until the area is fully developed, Front desk service was great and ooms were really nice. Definitely a loft type feel so very open and not tons of privacy. When we went to use the free drink coupons we got at check-in, the bartender was too busy chatting with girls at the end of thebar to be efficient. Considering we were the only people there he should have been more attentive. He also didn't have any drink recommendations and was offering us drink samples that were plain gross. Other than that, it was a great stay and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you so very much for your response. We could not agree more about your observation on signage and I am very glad to say that since your visit we have added a fairly large illuminated sign to the east end of our building. I cannot apologize enough for the experience you had at the bar and assure you that your comments will be shared with the staff. I also apologize that the samples you were given were not desirable and do trust that you ultimately enjoyed a favorable beverage.

Wexford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 June 2010

We traveled to Richmond for the high school graduation of my wife's younger cousin. We found Aloft on a price-seeking website, but ended up using our AAA membership. The price for the night was great. The location of the hotel is in a very new strip of businesses, apartments/condos, and malls just outside Richmond, VA.

The hotel has its own free parking garage, as well as a pool, a small but well equipped exercise room, free wireless internet, and complimentary billiards table in the lobby. The decor strives for a hip, modern sense, and while I'm generally not a fan of this motif, Aloft makes it work.

Our room was large, with a 40" or so flat screen plasma, iPod dock, very nice bedding, and a large work desk. The room also featured a microfridge and safe at no additional cost. The bathroom was shower-only, however was also excellent.

The hotel staff was exceptionally helpful and pleasant, even at the late hour of our arrival. Every member of the staff was friendly, patient, and eager to please. The professionalism of the staff is definitely one of the highlights of our stay.

We would recommend Aloft to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced hotel that offers a wide array of amenities and an excellent all-around time in the Glen Allen, VA area. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
gmaloft, General Manager at Aloft Richmond West, responded to this review, 22 June 2010
Thank you so very much for your kind words. I am very glad that you enjoyed your time with us here in Richmond. Myself and all of the staff look forward to your return.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 May 2010

I've stayed at some pretty lame hotels before, but nothing compares to this place. It's pretty trendy and the design of the place is actually kind of hip. But apparently that gives the front desk staff reason to behave like spoiled brats, and show absolutely no sign of understanding what customer service means. My complaints are as follows: No air conditioning in lobby or workout room first two days. No hot water for showers entire six night stay. Mistakes made on charges at end of stay, no help working directly with front desk/accounting dept. Finally had to make formal dispute with my credit card. Rude, VERY rude front desk.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank kim32655
I can not apologize enough for the adverse conditions you faced during your experience with us. Be assured that your comments have been shared with the staff. I do trust that the billing issues have been rectified. If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to help make us a better place to stay.

Virginia
Reviewed 27 April 2010

This is a really nice hotel in a really nice location. The room is clean and hotel has plenty of parking and it is close to a mall and plenty of shops.
The only drawback is their so called complimentary breakfast which consists of some packaged sweets which you buy using the $6 card they give you. It is awful.
The front desk is also in need of some attitude adjustment. The staff is very cold and unwelcoming. No smile or even a little friendly chat.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Shangool
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to communicate the details of your stay with us. We have been aggresively monitoring guest comments and taking action accordingly. We have been expanding our re:fuel (breakfast) selection and have welcomed to the team two brand new desk agents. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations in some areas but be assured your comments were heard and improvements have been made.

Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Traveled with two teenage girls, my niece and her friend. They said the hotel was "awesome". Got a great rate through Priceline. Did only get a king size bed and could have used two queens. The hotel said they did not have that available. It didn't seem overly crowded that evening but we made due. One of the girls slept on a bench. They really enjoyed the pool. The hotel was hard to find because the location did not show up on the GPS (as a previous review mentioned). A little frustrating calling the 800# to actually get a real person for directions. It is in a very nice new neighborhood. The parking ramp is not completed yet. Very limited parking outside in a really, really pot-hole full lot. Did offer free parking available in the ramp across the street which was inconvenient but well lit. Safe neighborhood. No breakfast. They had some snacks available but high priced. There was a really nice whole foods store (can't remember the name of it) only a couple blocks away. Didn't use any internet services. My niece lost an IPod charger and we went back a couple days later to see if they found it. They said they would call if they did and never called so presume they didn't find it. Manager was helpful in looking though. Would stay again with a good deal.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your kind remarks. As we are in a brand new development getting our place "on the map" has been a central focus. For all others reading this review please consider using the address (11173 W. Broad St., Glen Allen VA.) as an alternate. We have also increased our signage in the immediate area as well. Again, thank you for your comments.

Looking forward to your your return,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Allen
Hilton Richmond Hotel & Spa / Short Pump
Candlewood Suites Richmond West End Short Pump
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook
Hyatt Place Richmond/Innsbrook

Been to Aloft Richmond West? Share your experiences!