Extended Stay America - Richmond - West End - I-64
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
“Very Basic”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very basic value. Not for all families, construction workers, seasoned male traveler. Did not offer kitchen utensils up front, bugs in room-ants, caterpillars, and flying.

Tough crowd. If you do not need to save money find something else in short pump

Room Tip: Go to Marriott
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Last week I needed to find a place for two nights for an employee. All the normal places around Glen Allen were booked but I was able to find a room on Orbitz here for which I had to prepay both nights. I did not think twice about the quality of the room...the hotel is right by Innsbruck and I assumed was a great spot for people in on business.

I checked her in and got her a key. The check in area was very modest but certainly acceptable, the check in gal was sweet. However, as a woman alone I was a bit uncomfortable with the sheer number of construction workers who were either checking in with me or mingling about. These were guys who had clearly just gotten off working all day in 95 degree weather, loved to smoke and were adverse to belts (please no more bending over!). As a sidebar I want to note I work within the construction industry so I am very familiar and comfortable with large construction sites but crowded into a small room with guys fresh off a jobsite this was a bit different. During check in when I asked about the super low rate being quoted to the workers I was told it was because it was a negotiated rate for one construction company that has a block of 50 rooms.

I dropped the key to my employee (female, about 60) without going into the suite I had booked, I had no reason to. About a hour later she gave me a call and was very apologetic but told me the room was so run down, so dirty looking that she could not stay there, she preferred to stay on a friend's sofa. She took pictures and went down to request the money back, prepared for an argument but said the friendly woman at the front desk readily agreed to credit us back but said that the refund had to run through Orbits. Frankly, she agreed so readily that my employee thought it must happen a good bit. She also mentioned that walking to and from the room she had to walk a gamut of 40 plus guys sitting in the small courtyard between building drinking beer and smoking which though they ignored her was fairly unsettling for her.

I contacted Orbitz and they only returned one night's stay which makes me wonder if they pocketed the free money. I will certainly not prepay with them again. It took me a good long while to find a way to get in touch with a human there (by email) and they seemed to not care a bit that I was not happy with being charged for a room too gross to use.

I see several people have recommended this for long term stay. I would suggest that it would not work at all well for a woman alone and that with so many extended stay hotels in the area, I would shop around a bit. The area is excellent with walking distance shops and restaurants but I just don't see that overcoming the shortfalls.

1 Thank EmmaPeele
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Good part of town and ideal location for my needs - close to my morning destination, close to shopping, grocery store down the street, variety of restaurants, and next to freeway. Front desk clerk was very nice and personable. However, she was also having a conversation with someone she was obviously familiar with in the lobby & this person chose to address my jewelry and then attempt to come close and look! Was she a friend, or a hotel employee or an "accomplice"? I mean, really? I'm a woman traveling alone & the last thing I need is a stranger touching my jewelry while I'm wearing it! This place is dirty, dirty, dirty! The stairwells and walkways need to be power washed and there were cigarette butts everywhere on the ground. I don't believe my room had been vacuumed & all flat surfaces had dust on them. I slept on top of the blanket and not between the sheets! The bed is uncomfortable and hard, and the pillows and towels were cheap. Bathroom sink did not drain well, obvious urine stains around the toilet (cause I cleaned it myself with a washcloth), stained towels (I wonder why?). Light bulb was out, coffee pot was nasty dirty, food splatter on walls, inside vent hood & in microwave. Nothing had been wiped down in the kitchenette because it was dusty and there were dried crusty stains on the table and a spider web from the coffee maker to the dishtowel on the counter. This place was literally not cleaned, it looked like they replaced the towels and the bed linens and that was it! I can't believe management is not checking this place?

Room Tip: Don't get a discounted rate through a website because they will put you in the back with all ext...
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I spent several months at this Extended Stay and found it a safe, quiet and extremely convenient to the far West End of Metro Richmond. The rooms are a little small, the free breakfast selection skimpy, but the staff is friendly, responsive and professional which overcame any shortcomings of the facilities.

Room Tip: I would recommend negotiating directly with the manager prior to check-in for the best rate, if you...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mr_Frugal_Travel
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have been looking for a "home away from home" as I will be staying around Richmond for most of the next six months and was very lucky to find this place. First, the location is perfect. Plenty of stores and restaurants even within walking distance. Second, the room has always been very clean and so is the property. Now to the most important part; the staff. The GM, Mary, handled every issue I had promptly and perfectly. I first needed a bigger room, as I have a dog, and that was accommodated in minutes and with a smile on her face. The staff has been very helpful, even as I recently had shoulder surgery and moving in and out of the room has been slightly stressful, especially since I have a black lab. They have always been helpful with an extra items I forgot and I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The price is great, the room is great and the service is top notch!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TJ H
Big Stone Gap, Virginia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

The room was clean and quiet. Staff friendly. I cant rate the experience very high because the bed was way too hard for my taste . The pillows, though plentiful were also uncomfortable. I had considered using this hotel for a long say as my husband may be relocating to the area, due to a job change, but could not consider it now that I know how uncomfortable the beds are.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - West End - I-64, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the hotel’s bed is pillows is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I will review the room you were in to upgrade the pillows and look to flip the mattress to ensure your experience is not repeated. Still, we are pleased that we provided you with a clean room and great guest service.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at cox@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations across the U.S. and Canada in the future.
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

A one day stay I wished had been longer. we had a smoking room with our pet. the front desk service was awesome , very polite , and the room was beautiful.a sitting room and kitchen. will stay again soon !!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Richmond - West End - I-64, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for posting such a radiant review. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our hotel. Our front office staff was happy to receive such great compliments. I am glad that you found your suite clean and comfortable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Allen
#16 of 23 in Glen Allen
Candlewood Suites Richmond West End Short Pump
Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Innsbrook
Wingate by Wyndham Richmond Short Pump

Been to Extended Stay America - Richmond - West End - I-64? Share your experiences!