“Not for older kids”

Midlothian, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not for older kids”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I took my 4 year and she was too old for the majority of the museum. Not worth the money that you have to pay to go there. The CMOR Central is so much better and larger. I was extremely disappointed since I drove across town to go there.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Denise R

Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Fantastic day with my 3.5 year old”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

I am a member of the Charleston South Carolina's children museum, so I can compare the two a bit. We are here in town as we wait to close on a house in the NE. The downsides of CMOR-- you do have to walk through toys that are for sale to get to the part where you can play. I did think they should rethink that. Are they that desperate to sell stuff that if the store were at the back nobody would buy it? My 3.5 year old did better with it than I expected.

Also, I did have a lot of doubts paying $16 for a day, and there is no discount with a membership to another children's museum in the nation. If they would consider a less expensive pass than a membership so that people in town for a month or two could go for less than that a day, we would be there several days a week. While the price is fair, I won't pay that to go several times a week for 6 weeks, so we may go back one more time.

The positives are a really cool huge sandbox area with the rubber gravel. They also have a great train that goes around almost every hour. It loops three times in a little look (and makes noises), and then the next group of kids get to ride it. I was impressed with the train, and it is free.

Also, I loved the layout. The Charleston one .. You have to literally watch your kid like a hawk. Here, you can see around the entire place. It is in a very large area, and you can watch easily without stressing about the child.

The best part would be the high school/college kids there. I met high school kids who told me they loved it there and were earning volunteer hours. I went on a sunny Friday, and there were more volunteers than kids much of the day. My son had one young male volunteer, Will, to play with for a large part of the day. I haven't been to a museum where there are people that actually played with the kids. Eventually Will went home, but we did not... I thought we were never going to leave. An African-American employee was equally spectacular (missed her name). She played hide-n-seek with my child and another woman's grandchild for hours. Finally, I made mine leave at 4:30.... Yes, we never even left for lunch. When you think of the amount of babysitting $16 buys (which is one hour of a kid either getting to play with a babysitter or watching a babysitter on a cell phone), this is a huge bargain. Also, I was impressed that none of the kids seemed to do anything but work or play with the kids.. no cell phones were even out. Now, I did play and read to my child there, but I also had a lot of down time to just sit and relax on the wonderful benches while my son ran around playing games with the volunteers.

Oh, and they had a curtain stage area where you can dress up, a small kitchen area, and other small areas with slides, etc. They also have an art room, and Will helped my son to paint a picture, etc. I would say however that the museum is HIGHLY targeting up to about 4. If I had a toddler or baby and wanted to spend some quality time in a clean environment, then I wouldn't hesitate to get a membership there. Even two year olds would love it, but I would say if your child is 4 or over, you would want to look into possibly the downtown/main branch.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank CoastalJen
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extremely Poor Layout”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

Immediately upon entering you have to navigate a gift store to get into the play area. My normally even keeled two-year-old had a complete meltdown. Very hard to explain to toddler which toys he could play with and which ones he could not. I'm sure most patents just cave and buy things from the gift shop. Feels very manipulative, we bailed after a short time.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank TW468
Richmond, Virginia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

The museum is not a good place for older children above 4, not alot to do....plus adults pay money to get in and walk or sit around. Its good for younger children for about an hour of play and then it gets tiring, the selection is limited.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Li S
Virginia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Not great for the price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

First of all, I have no idea why adults have to pay to get into children's museums. I would probably go more often if I wasn't paying $24 for 3 of us to go (2 of which are adults). Then we get in there, and I was really surprised at how there was so very little to do. My son who is 4, was done in an hour -- 15 minutes of that was waiting for the train (the train is fun but should run much more frequently than on the hour).

I just felt very disappointed in spending so much money, and didn't there was a very high quality of things to do. I doubt we will go back.

Visited February 2013