“Excellent service”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Our visit to the restaurant was after a long day at work. We had excellent service with a waitress who was eager to make us comfortable and welcome. We highly recommend this place for its food and service.

1  Thank Maurizio B

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We tried this restaurant for the first time on 11/23/13; it was absolutely fantastic. We ordered margaritas and I requested mine frozen. Our server explained that this was not an option because their margaritas are freshly made. It was GREAT - and I may be a convert to on-the-rocks. I ordered shrimp fajitas and they were excellent; fresh plump shrimp and veggies. My only complaint was that a few of the chips were soggy but I the salsa was fresh and very tasty. I enjoyed the heck out of my meal and several margaritas. I can hardly wait until my next visit.

1  Thank Jbanddar
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Had brunch here today, first time visit. Very attractive place, reasonable noise level, and perhaps the best waitress we've had in Richmond. Indrie was welcoming, attentive ( but not intrusive ), informative, and extremely friendly and pleasant. The food was excellent, starting with really good salsa and warm chips. Selections imaginative, portions good-sized, and price includes a drink ,( including coffee ) - plus, $3 drink specials for Bloody Mary's and Mimosas. A real bargain. Desserts included the best Flan we've had in Richmond - by far - and really good Tres Leches cake. Can't wait to return to try dinner and lunch.

1  Thank gerry w
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I tried Maya's for the first time on Saturday, November 9. Arrived at 7:20 PM and was told there would be a 20-25 minute wait. I went inside to wait at the bar. Both bartenders were busy, and I waited 10 minutes before being offered a drink. I don't mind waiting my turn, but I did mind that neither one even greeted me or acknowledged me or said, "welcome, we'll be with you as soon as possible." A bus boy did bring me some water, plus chips and salsa. Unfortunately, the chips were a little stale. The jumbo-sized margarita was $12 - a little steep for regular tequila - and I paid for it right away.

After 35+ minutes, I was finally shown to my table. The server came by and asked if I wanted an appetizer. Unfortunately, no one had even given me a menu yet. Once I had the menu, I found that my booth was so poorly lit, I couldn't read it. I had to turn on my iPad and put the menu close to it in order to see anything. Ultimately, I ordered a queso appetizer and the skirt steak entree. Online reviews had said the skirt steak was good, so thought it would be a sure thing.

The queso appetizer was very good, though took almost 15 minutes to come out. The blend of flavors was very nice, and I ate the whole thing (was quite hungry by this time). The skirt steak arrived at an appropriate interval. The plate had a nice mix of grilled pineapple, black beans, rice, plantain, and a dollop of very tasty guacamole. Wish I'd gotten more of that! The skirt steak, however, was a little chewy. When I mentioned to my server that I was a little disappointed with it, she suggested that maybe it would have been better to order it rare or medium-rare. I'd ordered it medium. If getting the steak rare is the only way for it to be tender, then knowing this when you order it would be helpful.

When I got my bill, the $12 margarita was included. I explained to the server that I'd already paid for it while at the bar, and gave her the receipt. "Oh, he didn't tell me!" was her response. I noticed while sitting at the bar for almost 40 minutes that the bartenders were constantly telling the servers to add this drink or that to a certain table's bill. It seems to me there's some process re-engineering that needs to occur with the bar tabs transferring or not to the dinner tabs. I wonder how many drinks get double billed? Hmmmmm...

Although my dark booth did not have any tablecloths - just the wood table - the seats in the center area were dressed with white tablecloths. Which the restaurant then covered with white shelf paper. I have a thing about putting white shelf paper over linens. I think it is tacky, and sometimes annoying when the paper crumples or curls. Why not use glass on too, or just use wood or formica tables? Don't attempt elegance and then ruin it.

I was intrigued enough by the menu options, the margarita, the queso, and the tiny taste of guacamole that I will go back and try something else and see if I have an overall improved experience. Maya's seems promising; I hope they can work out some of the kinks I experienced.

1  Thank eraynor57
Reviewed 6 November 2013

4 of us had fun Saturday evening at Maya's. Great service, delicious food, explosion of flavors. Everyone devoured their entree....all seafood and veggies so fresh...we had sweet corn tamal w shrimp and scallops, tropical salmon, crab chile relleno, chicken enchiladas, all super...best service we've had at a richmond restaurant in years! They were v welcoming and took time to talk about their menu offerings... will definitely return

1  Thank 640Scott