“For a special occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hondos

Hondos
Reserve with OpenTable
Hondos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 164 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad St.
Description: Hondos is Richmond's prime destination for great steak. Hondos features a variety of perfectly aged cuts, broiled to your request and served sizzling. The menu features three different cuts of filet mignon, a cowboy rib-eye and a 24oz porterhouse. Hondos also specializes in fresh seafood with such favorites as jumbo lump (absolutely no-filler) crabcakes, South African lobster tails and a daily "fresh catch" to name a few. Whether a romantic evening for two or a business dinner, Hondos is sure to surpass your highest expectations in food and unparalleled service. Why not join us tonight?
Virginia
“For a special occasion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

Enjoyed lunch at Hondo's, which has always been one of my favorite dinner spots. The lunch did not disappoint - the same perfectly prepared steak with crab on top and a side of potatoes. Nice wine menu. Outstanding waiter (Chip). This is in my opinion the consistently best steak in the greater Richmond area. Make a reservation, even for lunch. Hondo's is on Open Table, which is helpful in making reservations.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Don M

“Good food , good waitstaff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012 via mobile

Just visited Hondos for dinner. I ordered the seafood trio and my co-worker had baby back ribs which just fell off of the bone. We were greeted by multiple people and Alan, our waiter, was very friendly and attentive. The food was a bit on the pricier side but worth it for a good food and a nice experience .

1 Thank Traveltimes28
Richmond, Virginia
“THE place for high quality deliciousness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

The phrase- "You get what you pay for," comes to mind when I think of Hondos. A relative highly recommended this restaurant to my husband and I, and we were so glad we went. It IS one of the more expensive restaurants we go to, but we always feel it is more than worth it. The steaks are, well, beautiful, and cooked to perfection. When we ordered the lamb pops, we were curious to see the outcome, as lamb is sometimes difficult to get right, and can often turn out dry or bland. It practically melted in my mouth, and is to date one of my favorite dishes I have ever eaten. The honey butter they serve with their rolls is Absolutely Addicting, and when we ordered coffee after dinner, we were even surprised with its strong, rich flavor. We own a french press, yet their french press coffee still seems to taste better. And to top it off, the service has never left us wanting. Because we have kids and Hondos is a pricier place, we usually only go for special occasions, when we have a babysitter, but we will look forward to that meal for weeks in advance. I can not wait to have a date night there again!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Maria_P_Z
“Appalling meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

I went with a group for restaurant week during which participating restaurants donate $2.15 from each check to Feedmore, the community Food Bank and Meals on Wheels program. All meals at participating restaurants are $25.12 with each restaurant having a set menu. I have participated for years and this is the only disgusting meal I have had.

The regular menu prices are outrageous. I can purchase and prepare a premium 8 ounce steak for much less than $48. This is steak, not difficult or tedious to prepare.

The salad was skimpy with stale croutons. The dressing was bland. The four of us who ordered steak all agreed it did not taste like the advertised filet. Extremely tough and tasteless. One person's serving looked like a thin cutlet. The chimichurri sauce had no flavor. The mashed potatoes were passable and the broccolini bland and tasteless. There were a few pieces of very wilted lettuce on the place. My requested rare steak was served medium. Dessert was an average chocolate torte.

The waiter clearly had no interest in our table. He was disingenuous and brought checks without ever asking if anyone wanted tea or coffee. It was my impression that Hondo's had no investment in truly supporting this special week with any semblance of culinary expertise. I have had far better meals at Paneras and Silver Diner. In my opinion, this meal was a disgrace to the profession and diners.

Lewis_Inc, Director of Sales at Hondos, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
A Word from the Management of Hondo's Prime

Occasionally here on Trip Advisor, we will receive a review so surprising that we simply cannot let it go unremarked. On the rare occasion that that which is reported here on Trip Advisor differs from that which occurs in our restaurant, we find it necessary to respond in the public forum and address the issue directly.

=========================

Dear Sir,

I would like to extend my apologies for any dissatisfaction, but also to note that we had no idea that you were unhappy with your meal in any way. Had we known of any offence, we certainly would have made every effort to make amends while you were at the restaurant. I encourage you to contact me directly with your contact information so that we may offer an appropriate apology for any missteps.
Had you informed us of at the time of your meal, we would certainly have replaced any items of offence. We do our best to rectify any mistakes swiftly and immediately so we might ensure that all our guests have excellent experiences.

You noted that you have been involved in Restaurant Week for many years. We too have participated in Restaurant Week for many years. We have in fact, participated since it's inception, and have enjoyed the praise of countless diners for continued quality and service in relation to the promotional menu.

If indeed you ordered from the Restaurant Month Menu, you had a sirloin, not a filet as you had mentioned. Sirloin, is a very different cut of meat than a filet, offering more texture than the tenderloin. We neither advertise nor offer a filet for our Restaurant Month Menu.

The quality of the beef we procure for our guests is generally not avaiable at a grocery store. The extensive aging process is quite different from most any grocer's steaks. Also, we do not offer any 8 oz steak for $48. This remark is confusing to us.

Your server is an excellent employee at Hondos, receiving more personal requests than any other server. I am aghast that he could have seemed so disengenous, and horrified that he neglected to offer after dinner drinks. I have spoken to him about his performance.
He wished me to note that he is so very sorry if he neglected you in anyway. Again, I wish we had known of any one of these errors at the time that you dined. I would not be so surprised to learn that we created such a “disgusting” experience at Hondo's, and would not have discovered such a different encounter here in the public arena.

=======================================

While we welcome reviews on Trip Advisor, and appreciate that this reviewer has posted only three reviews on the site (all exceedingly negative) we hope that guests will read many of our reviews online and see that we do in fact present a high level of service here at Hondo's Prime. If any issue is presented to a manager at the time of service, we move mountains to make our guests happy with their experience at Hondo's. It is our consummate goal to exceed the expectaions of every guest.

Best to All,
Toni Peebles, Director of Sales & Marketing
Hondo's Prime
Murrells Inlet, SC
“Great Steak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Great service and wonderful food. Always go when we are in Glen Allen

Visited April 2012

Been to Hondos? Share your experiences!