“Awesome Food, Kitchen a bit slow”
Review of Hondos

Hondos
Reserve with OpenTable
Hondos is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 174 Restaurants in Glen Allen
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad St.
Description: Hondos is Richmond's prime destination for great steak. Hondos features a variety of perfectly aged cuts, broiled to your request and served sizzling. The menu features three different cuts of filet mignon, a cowboy rib-eye and a 24oz porterhouse. Hondos also specializes in fresh seafood with such favorites as jumbo lump (absolutely no-filler) crabcakes, South African lobster tails and a daily "fresh catch" to name a few. Whether a romantic evening for two or a business dinner, Hondos is sure to surpass your highest expectations in food and unparalleled service. Why not join us tonight?
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Let me first say, we love Hondos and really love the new location, right next to the old one. We were hoping that the slow kitchen would improve with the new larger location, but the night we were there, it was the same slow kitchen. We still continue to go there because the food is so good, but now that they have a larger kitchen, which they said the small kitchen at the old location was the reason for food coming out so slow, we're hoping they will soon get it completely together so this will a fantastic place with a kitchen that can keep up!

Lewis_Inc, Public Relations Manager at Hondos, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Thank you for your remarks on Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to Hondo’s. I am delighted to read that you love Hondo’s and enjoyed the new location…we are also thrilled with the new space. I am sorry however, if you have found the service anything other than expedient when you have joined us. We strive for a leisurely (though certainly not slow) pace at Hondo’s. I would like to offer our apologies in a more direct fashion. If it is not too much trouble, would you send me an email with your contact information so we can make amends more personally? Please reference code TA-12-11 in your reply so I will know to which post the email refers. My email address is hondos.toni@yahoo.com

Toni Peebles
Director of Sales & Marketing

Reviewed 3 December 2012

My husband and I had our shared birthday dinner in early November. It was out first experience at Hondos and the only disappointing thing was a lack of dress code. Upon entering a couple leaving had on bermudas (It was a warm evening). 90% of the patrons were dressed up...coats for the men, dresses or upscale casual for the ladies. Then at our next table, a guy in jeans, t-shirt and a ball cap sat down. This is unacceptable in an upscale dining establishment.
NOW to the food. It was DELICIOUS. Cooked to perfection. Our server, Candace was knowledgable and attentive without being obtrusive.
A wonderful experience almost!

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Thinking I had successfully navigated the pitfalls of Thanksgiving over-indulgence, my guard was down when I accepted an invitation to Sunday brunch with friends. Please excuse any typos, as I am at the edge of a food-coma. Hondos brunch is way over the top. I knew this before I saw the buffet. My clue was the verbal map of the two-room spread that our server provided as he dispensed our oversized plates.
What is your pleasure? Fresh fruit or salad? Made-to-order omelettes? Belgian waffles or French toast? How about sausage gravy & biscuits, or Eggs Hondo or crab frittata? Plain bacon or sausage? Bagels with trimmings?
Too breakfasty for you? Plow right into the prime rib or the hand-carved ham. Or the gnocchi with sausage & cream sauce. Or the chicken or fish. Don't forget your steamed veggies!
Oh, yes, so you noticed the chocolate fountain. Surrounded by cakes, pies, cheesecake & cookies.
Their coffee is excellent, too. I suggest taking it black. You've got to start back down the road to redemption somewhere.
Oh, yeah, nice atmosphere, superior service, attentive management - blah blah blah - I gotta go take a nap.

2  Thank Bill H
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Awesome place to take a client to lunch, service is outstanding and food is very reasonably priced for the lunch crowd.

I have never been for dinner, but I am sure that it is great too.

Reviewed 6 November 2012

My husband and I have been dining at Hondos (lunch / dinner) for many years. Recently, they moved to a new location (same vicinity) which offers a larger, more open, yet romantic atmosphere. The service was very good, wine selection was impressive, and the food was delish, as it has always been.

Every now and then, the restaurant will offer BOGO free entrees to their email subscribers (This past week alone they offered BOGO on Halloween AND Election Day!). On Sundays, they offer 1/2 price wine.

Attire = anything from dressy casual to all dressed up.

I would not recommend taking small children unless they are well-behaved. Many people enjoy going there for a date night (the young AND the old!).

ENJOY!