“Room smelled”

Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Virginia Center
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Maybe we ended up with a bad room but it smelled more like Carpet Fresh or Fabreeze or some kind of cleaning agent was used in an attempt to cover odor (and we had a non-smoking room). We checked in around 1am and were too tired to deal with changing rooms. Glad it was a short stay. We'll try a different Hampton when traveling this route next time. The front desk staff didn't seem too concerned when I mentioned it the next morning.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Larissa G

Reviewed 15 May 2012

The long wall of our king studio suite had 2 windows, so there was plenty of natural light during the day. The spacious room included a sofa and coffee table. The desk was positioned at a right angle to the wall, with a chair on each side -- making it handy to improvise as a dining room table for restaurant leftovers (a budget saver due to the fridge and micro, housed in a wall storage unit with extra sink). The hotel provided paper towels and a courtesy bag of popcorn. As Hilton Honors members we received a welcome goody bag with bottled water and snacks . The A/C unit is difficult to regulate to find a comfortable setting.

The shower curtain is a bit too short, so unless you are careful, it pulls away from the tub and you have a wet bathroom floor. The sink is located outside the bathroom, with extra towels on the storage shelves below.

The neighborhood is handy -- lots of retail stores and many chain restaurants nearby. A superWalmart with grocery department is just south.

As with other Hamptons we have stayed at recently, we found the hot breakfast items disappointing. The dry egg crumbles are a poor substitute for scrambled eggs, but we like the pre-made cheese or western omelets. The turkey sausage links are tough and dry, we don't care for sausage gravy, and the bagel toppers are mediocre. There were NO pork sausage patties during the 5 days we stayed. Two mornings the juice dispenser was out of order. The fresh fruit mix is good.

The business center has 2 computers.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JanWill
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We love Hampton Inn for many reasons. This location was just lovely. Staff "ALL" was so attentative and pleasant it would make anyone want to return to their location. Spotless CLEAN and a great location for our business in the area. Nice breakfast and it was open at 6:00 AM which is what we needed as we had to leave early. Will return anytime we need a room in that area.

Room Tip: Just call make the reservation, We had three rooms and they were all good.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Was stuck in a I-95 traffic jam outside of washington DC for 3 hours. All I wanted was to get off that road and relax .I called ahead and Phillip (front desk) was so nice and helpful. Check in was fast . Phillip was very helpful with dining suggestions, which there are a variety, in walking distance.Room was spotless. Could be a little tricky to locate in the dark without directions but worth finding. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Let me preface my review with the fact that I am a Hilton Platinum Level frequent guest (Hampton Inns are part of the Hilton Chain). While the hotel is clean, spacious and centrally located to the Hanover area, the staff and the sound proofing left much to be desired. The front desk staff (especially in the evenings) were always around the corner doing something - you had to yell to get their attention and we felt we were distrubing him everytime we had a question - such as what restaurants delivered to the hotel or to purchase items from the shop. This was the worst stocked shop that I have seen in quite some time with very few options - maybe they just had not had a delivery recently. Finally, the sound proofing was aweful. I hear the people upstairs drop coins on the floor, I heard the person next to me using the bathroom (and not just the flushing part), and the television in the room on the other side. Since the hotel was very empty, I don't understand why they did not spread the guest out to minimize the noise. To date I have never heard the biological functions of my next door neighbor at a hotel - it was gross.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I have had to spend a lot of time at this hotel because of having appointments with doctors in the area. I chose this one because of the hospitality that it offers, not to mention the cleaniness, comfort and the breakfast it offers. The location is great! Resturants, shopping, entertainment, peace and quiet. The management is outstanding. Thank You for making my hotel experience seem like a place away from home. I recommend this Hampton highly. If you do not believe me, check it out!

Room Tip: I have been on 2nd and 4th floors and I find them to be in great shape. Like New!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We did not want to stay in downtown Richmond this visit because there were other things we wanted to do in the western suburbs so I chose this hotel. It was a lovely, economical surprise. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was spacious and well-kept. Breakfast was excellent. It's convenient to the west-side highways, shops, and restaurants yet easy enough to get downtown.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Richmond Marriott Short Pump
#6 of 23 in Glen Allen
SpringHill Suites Richmond Virginia Center
Courtyard Richmond North/Glen Allen

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Virginia Center? Share your experiences!