“Not up to Snuff” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Oakland, California
“Not up to Snuff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I really didn't want to stop, but I couldn't drive anymore. When I saw there was a Candlewood near the restaurant I was using WiFi in, I was pleased. When I entered the hotel...less pleased. The guy at the desk said what he was supposed to, acknowledged my priority club membership, did what he was supposed to but wasn't really all that pleasant to deal with. OK fine, I thought, he's not the "chatty type". I grabbed the luggage cart and headed to my room. On the way I passed peeling paint, dirty walls, grubby floor and a dingy elevator. At the end of the hall was a creepy punk who held a phone to his ear but stared at me the entire time. After a trip to my car the same creep loitered by the elevators but never got on. I suspected going to the teens at the front desk would offer me little comfort so I locked myself in my room and put it out of my mind. (I miss adults running hotel front desks) Anyway the room was no comfort either. Same as the hallway: dirty walls, dingy floors, dirty doors, The chair cushion was so flat I felt wood when I sat down. The sofa was so unappealing I threw down a pillow and sat on the coffee table, which was still softer than the chair. I did appreciate the large desk/eating area and the separate bedroom. Upon check out one guy stared at me from behind a desk while the other gave me my paperwork with no interaction and even less pleasantness. This is not what I expect from a Candlewood, and is definitely the worst I have experienced in the chain. I could not leave this place fast enough.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Glen Allen, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Dear JFighterstein,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards member and for leaving us a feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for falling short of your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Buford,Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

Making a road trip from Atlanta to New York we stayed for one night on Oct. 20,2012.I choose this hotel only because they accepted pets.Upon arrival the agent who checked us in was very
pleasant. The room was very basic,no frills,no ammenities.
There are a couple of things that I had issues with.The air conditioner shut off everytime we left the room or opened the window.It was warm out and the room never seemed to cool.
The pillows..Other reviews mentioned the pillows as well and let me tell you I've had better pillows on planes.If you stay at this Candlewoods Suite,just remember to take your own pillow and know that you are staying only for your pet.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the rear away from the front lights.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 3tdrocktraveler
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

My wife works in the hotel business. In the same intercontinental chain. I feel like they were trying to get rid of us because we came in on the employee rate. ATTENTION ICHOTELSGROUP - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS. The lady at the front desk when we arrived around 10pm on Friday Oct 5 2012 (we did not get her name - she had a piercing in her lower lip/chin) told us we were booked into a smoking room. When we made the reservation we put "please please NON-smoking room" in the comments box. They said they only have smoking rooms for employee rate. I almost felt like she was going out of her way to treat us badly because she seemed to be somewhat nice to everybody else and always seemed to push us aside whenever some other customers came. She made no effort to try to find a non-smoking room for us. Everytime we tried to ask her something, the attitude we got was like 'take it or leave it hurry up and decide'. To her credit she did allow us to cancel our reservation. When my wife asked for a print out of the cancelation she looked at us like we were insane. She just scribbled it on a scrap of paper and then didnt even give us the whole scrap. When we left her words were 'you have a great night' but sounded and felt more like 'hurry up and leave'.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank wawacito
Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

My wife and I went up there for business so it was set up for us to stay there. The room was fine and clean but the pillows were the WORST. The pillows were so flat so we called to get some new pillows. They were a little better but they still were worn down. We had a hard time sleeping. Also the a/c was hard to control so needless to say we didn’t enjoy the stay. There are a lot of restaurants, shopping and stores around the area. When we checked out we were asked how was our stay and when I told the guy at the front desk about the pillows he paused and said 'yea we need to replace them' so they know they pillows are no good.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Glen Allen, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear hjones5,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. I have passed your comments about the pillows to the Manager for consideration. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have stayed multiple times at this Hotel. I am a business travler and have an account in the area. This is now my Hotel of choice everytime I gome to the Richmond area. The Rooms are always very clean and the Staff has been great. Mike has gone out of his way to make me feel at home. The rooms have a great work/desk area and a full kitchen. Beds are comfortable too. I suggest you ask from a room on the front of the building to avoid hearing the heavy i-95 traffic.

Room Tip: Stay on the front side of the building so you can't hear the traffic on I-95
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank stevebhl
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I had business at the Richmond Convention Center for a week. Not wanting to stay downtown and pay for parking, I picked this hotel. I also searched out a hotel with a fridge and microwave since I didn't want to eat out for every meal.

This place was absolutely perfect for a long stay. The room featured a nice kitchenette complete with a dishwasher, full-size frig and granite counter tops. I don't even have granite at home!

I found the room to be adequately sized for one person. Liked the bathroom vanity with drawers to stash my stuff.

I took advantage of the free laundry facilities. Nice touch.

Most importantly, the room was very clean.

For folks that want a free breakfast, daily maid service and more, this may not be the hotel for them.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Allie620
Gothenburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Here now, got two smoking rooms. Minor stains on the bed sheets but otherwise well furnished rooms with kitchen and flat screen TVs. The bath was deep too. My room at the end (524) was bigger and better then the other (522) with separate bed room, extra TV, sofa bed and kitchen island. More than we needed but if you have company, it's great. Rate with coupon (visitors center) was $70.

***** Edit******

I had to edit because I found out we didn't get breakfast. This place is definitely an upgrade compared to a few of the motels I've been to so I was surprised no breakfast. There was however a mini mart in the lobby with all kinds of snacks and essentials.

The concierge took care of applying for my bonus cards, so he gets some service points there.

So to summarize: Great value with a family, you do your own cooking. Over kill if you're alone and don't want to cook. Definitely try to find the coupon though, think it was over 100 dollars regular rate.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner rooms like mine if you are in a group. Cost the same, but there's a bed sofa...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Virginia Center
SpringHill Suites Richmond Virginia Center
BEST WESTERN PLUS Glen Allen Inn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ashland - Hanover, VA

Been to Candlewood Suites Glen Allen? Share your experiences!