“Off the beaten path” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Glen Allen
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Off the beaten path”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013 via mobile

You could see the property from the interstate but you need to make a lot of turns to get to it. Location is in the back of an office park with other hotels. However there is a vast selection of eateries about 1/2 mile away in a shopping center.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was fine except for the worst looking desk chair we have ever seen in a hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Candlewood Suites Glen Allen, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Mikejack52,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you for your feedback about the chair in your room. We are very sorry that you were not satisfied. We use guest feedback to make the necessary changes to the hotel to make it better for you , and future guests to the hotel. Thank you for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Candlewood Suites Glen Allen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Bedford, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

We have used this hotel on several occasions, most notably when we travel to Richmond for NASCAR weekends. It is an extended stay facility and they do accept pets. We like the convenience to I-64, 288, and 295, not to mention the excellent shopping and restaurant choices in the Short Pump area. This is a no frills hotel, because it is extended stay. However, the full sized refrigerator and mini kitchen are very nice to have. There is also a small desk and free wifi. The staff have always been very nice and helpful when we have been there. There is free coffee available 24/7, but no breakfast. There is a small store where you can purchase some breakfast items, as well as snacks, beverages, and toiletries. There are grocery stores and restaurants within walking distance, but you may have to cross a very busy road to get to some of them (Broad Street), which can be quite intimidating; however, it is easy to get around by car if you don't mind driving in a lot of traffic. All in all, we like this place and will continue to use it when visiting Richmond.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GennasMom
ManagementTeamGM, Manager at Candlewood Suites Glen Allen, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Dear GennasMom,

Thank you for telling us about your stay. Thank you for telling us about your extended stay. We really appreciate all of your comments. We will pass them on to our staff. We strive to provide all of our guests with a clean, safe, and comfortable place to stay. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to see you again in the future.

Henrico, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

This hotel is absolutely excellent! The staff was super friendly and helpful. The hotel is centrally located to everything you can possibly need. The room had every amenity you need, and was meticulously clean. I spent 10 days here and they were only supposed to clean the room once, but they did it twice.They offer free washers and dryers.The also have a 24 hr store that works on the honor system, free daily USA TODAY, the also have a 24 hr fitness center. The only negative is there is no pool. I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends and family. The address of this hotel is Brookriver Rd. in Glen Allen, NOT Telegraph Rd

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Dear Edith,

Thank you for telling us about your stay with us. We appreciate all of your feedback regarding your extended stay. We will pass all of yoru comments to the staff. They always appreciate hearing when they are doing a good job. Thank you so much for your stay. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Oakland, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2013

I really didn't want to stop, but I couldn't drive anymore. When I saw there was a Candlewood near the restaurant I was using WiFi in, I was pleased. When I entered the hotel...less pleased. The guy at the desk said what he was supposed to, acknowledged my priority club membership, did what he was supposed to but wasn't really all that pleasant to deal with. OK fine, I thought, he's not the "chatty type". I grabbed the luggage cart and headed to my room. On the way I passed peeling paint, dirty walls, grubby floor and a dingy elevator. At the end of the hall was a creepy punk who held a phone to his ear but stared at me the entire time. After a trip to my car the same creep loitered by the elevators but never got on. I suspected going to the teens at the front desk would offer me little comfort so I locked myself in my room and put it out of my mind. (I miss adults running hotel front desks) Anyway the room was no comfort either. Same as the hallway: dirty walls, dingy floors, dirty doors, The chair cushion was so flat I felt wood when I sat down. The sofa was so unappealing I threw down a pillow and sat on the coffee table, which was still softer than the chair. I did appreciate the large desk/eating area and the separate bedroom. Upon check out one guy stared at me from behind a desk while the other gave me my paperwork with no interaction and even less pleasantness. This is not what I expect from a Candlewood, and is definitely the worst I have experienced in the chain. I could not leave this place fast enough.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Glen Allen, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Dear JFighterstein,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards member and for leaving us a feedback. Please accept my sincerest apologies for falling short of your expectations. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Buford,Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

Making a road trip from Atlanta to New York we stayed for one night on Oct. 20,2012.I choose this hotel only because they accepted pets.Upon arrival the agent who checked us in was very
pleasant. The room was very basic,no frills,no ammenities.
There are a couple of things that I had issues with.The air conditioner shut off everytime we left the room or opened the window.It was warm out and the room never seemed to cool.
The pillows..Other reviews mentioned the pillows as well and let me tell you I've had better pillows on planes.If you stay at this Candlewoods Suite,just remember to take your own pillow and know that you are staying only for your pet.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the rear away from the front lights.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 3tdrocktraveler
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

My wife works in the hotel business. In the same intercontinental chain. I feel like they were trying to get rid of us because we came in on the employee rate. ATTENTION ICHOTELSGROUP - I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS. The lady at the front desk when we arrived around 10pm on Friday Oct 5 2012 (we did not get her name - she had a piercing in her lower lip/chin) told us we were booked into a smoking room. When we made the reservation we put "please please NON-smoking room" in the comments box. They said they only have smoking rooms for employee rate. I almost felt like she was going out of her way to treat us badly because she seemed to be somewhat nice to everybody else and always seemed to push us aside whenever some other customers came. She made no effort to try to find a non-smoking room for us. Everytime we tried to ask her something, the attitude we got was like 'take it or leave it hurry up and decide'. To her credit she did allow us to cancel our reservation. When my wife asked for a print out of the cancelation she looked at us like we were insane. She just scribbled it on a scrap of paper and then didnt even give us the whole scrap. When we left her words were 'you have a great night' but sounded and felt more like 'hurry up and leave'.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank wawacito
Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

My wife and I went up there for business so it was set up for us to stay there. The room was fine and clean but the pillows were the WORST. The pillows were so flat so we called to get some new pillows. They were a little better but they still were worn down. We had a hard time sleeping. Also the a/c was hard to control so needless to say we didn’t enjoy the stay. There are a lot of restaurants, shopping and stores around the area. When we checked out we were asked how was our stay and when I told the guy at the front desk about the pillows he paused and said 'yea we need to replace them' so they know they pillows are no good.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Glen Allen, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Dear hjones5,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. I have passed your comments about the pillows to the Manager for consideration. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Katie J
Hampton Inn & Suites Richmond/Virginia Center
SpringHill Suites Richmond Virginia Center
BEST WESTERN PLUS Glen Allen Inn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Ashland - Hanover, VA

Been to Candlewood Suites Glen Allen? Share your experiences!