“One of our top 2 wineries!”
Review of Horton Vineyards

Horton Vineyards
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Horton Vineyards specializes in high quality Virginia wine. Varieties include Viognier, Cabernet Franc, Norton, Tannat, Petit Manseng, and much more. Visit for the largest variety offering in the area and an enthusiastic staff to help you find the wines you enjoy.
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I love to attend wine-tastings, but we are far from connoisseurs. In fact, I call ahead to be sure a winery offers sweeter wines for their tastings. Horton's was perfect for us. We walked out with a case of wines, only one of which was a repeat. Their large selection of fruit wines were a treat, especially the pear, peach, and blackberry. At $5 for 10 tastings, we felt we received a fair value. I would have rated our experience excellent, but the young girl running the tasting room was overwhelmed by the number of patrons. She could have used some help.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"sweeter"
"freedom"

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I have been visiting Horton Vineyards for many years. Recently they have started charging a tasting fee which I can understand because of the people that taste and do not purchase any wine. However since we only get to Horton once a year, we purchased two cases of their wine, spending in excess of $500 and were still charged a tasting fee. If you go down the road to Keswick winery, the fee is waived for every three bottles purchased. Horton would be well advised to rethink their tasting fee policy.
Other than that, the wine is very good and it is worth a visit.
If it were not for the tasting fee we were charged, this would have been a 5 star review.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My husband and I stopped at Hortons on a whim due to the charming castle on the property. Once inside I was not sure what we had stepped into - gift shop? Winery? It did not get better from there. As I was on crutches it would have been nice to have been offered a stool or a chair to sit on, none was offered. When one of my crutches fell I received the stink eye from the manager. The wines were so-so, not impressed. 40 wines are on the menu and you choose 10 to taste. While it was somewhat busy, it should not have been difficult for the staff to ask what types of wine did we most favor. Having been to others in the area, it would not be my top choice. Hospitality would go a long way to enhancing the experience.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I bet higher end wineries like Barboursville look down on vineyards like Horton. They have some nice flavored wines and we took several home. The staff was helpful and friendly.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We wanted to visit this vineyard because a friend of us gave Horton red before, and we loved the wine a lot. We drove on a weekday. I think the best time to visit is fall if you want to enjoy scenery.

At the winery, one staff was attending a couple. I thought he'd ask us for tasting, but we ended up waiting for 20min browsing the shop area. There're 2 staffs, but only one person can handle wine. The tasting is free for 5 pours or so. The pour is only a sip, a lot less than other winery pours, but hey this is free. During our tasting, a group of 4+ people came in, the staff kind of seemed to finish up our tasting ASAP. WE finished our tasting in haste & bought a case. The check-out was quick. If you buy a case, you get 10% off.

In summary, they have great wine, but the tasting itself wasn't as good as CA wineries.