“Worth a stop.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Horton Vineyards

Horton Vineyards
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Horton Vineyards specializes in high quality Virginia wine. Varieties include Viognier, Cabernet Franc, Norton, Tannat, Petit Manseng, and much more. Visit for the largest variety offering in the area and an enthusiastic staff to help you find the wines you enjoy.
NW Ohio
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Worth a stop.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was the last of 3 wine tastings. (First Burnley, 2nd Barboursville). It is $5 per person and included 10 tastings with tiny cheese cubes and oyster crackers to cleanse your palate. We were directed to a sheet of paper with brief descriptions of each wine. There was only one employee on duty. I don't think they realized it'd they'd busy the day after July 4th. She did not offer any help choosing today but maybe she does other days. I liked their fruit wines the best. But, they is a very good Pear Port, very smooth!
I would stop again and purchase.

Visited July 2014

Stafford VA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Wine / Poor Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Horton Wines have a wide selection of wines, including a lot of different wines with a fruit taste. The current fee is $5.00 to taste 10 wines (glass not included). The outside is beautiful. Normally when when walk into a winery you can feel the energy, but when you walk into Horton's you are underwhelmed with the inside and the service is average. It's like they forgot that wine tasting can led to wine buying. It would help if you received guidance in selecting 10 wines, but the explanations of the wines were very minimal. No, it was not busy. I did purchase a couple of wines because I liked their Norton and Stonecastle Red.

Visited June 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Great Winery, Very Scenic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We chose to stop here on our way to Outer Banks. If you're driving from out of town, double check the map on your GPS against the map on their website, the GPS totally took us to a different location a few miles down the road. Anyways, when driving up to this winery, it looks like a castle, it's awesome! The vineyard is right in front of the building. There are picnic tables outside for you to sit and enjoy some wine (and perhaps bring a snack or picnic to enjoy too). Inside is nice. They have an area for the wine tasting. We didn't get charged a tasting fee, but we did buy 3 bottles. The wine we tasted was very good. I wish we had more time to taste the other wine, but we did get here 10 minutes prior to closing time (again thanks to the GPS for taking us a bit out of our way). It's great that they can ship wine, because I do plan on buying some more. If you're wanting to try a nice and different fruit wine, I recommend the acai wine. I love this type of berry and having it available in a wine form is great. The staff is also very friendly. I was asking questions about the winery and the building and they are very informative. If you are in the area, I highly recommend stopping at this winery for a tasting and a view!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank butterfly2124
Herminie
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Middle of the road”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is my third trip to Charlottesville, and I've been to In Vino Veritas and Barboursville. I won't say I walked out of Hortons empty handed but found more that were so so than extraordinary. I will say if your going to Barboursville swing by Horton. You can't compare Apples to apples but give it try and see what you think. One more note you'll pay 8 for the tasting if you want a souvenir glass.

Visited May 2014
West Milford, New Jersey, United States
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Delicious Wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

My husband and I stopped here while camping in Shenandoah. The outside of the building is beautiful. It looks like a castle. Unfortunately the rain prevented us from enjoying it fully. When you step inside the tasting room it is a little out dated looking & could use some brightening up.

The wine list is extensive and you are given the choice of any 10 for your tasting. The woman who was working was very knowledgeable and served us quickly despite there being 2 other groups there. My husband and I enjoyed every wine we tasted. They also served complimentary cheese & crackers which was a definite plus. I liked that she asked if there was anything else we wanted to try even after our tasting was finished.

A gentleman in the other group asked about getting a tour of the place and the head wine maker obliged. We were able to go with them & get a tour of the process of making wine. Horton Vineyards uses 90% of their own grapes in their wines.

Before we left we purchased a case of wine so that proves how much we liked their wine.

Visited April 2014