“Such a wonderful experience”
Review of Horton Vineyards

Horton Vineyards
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Horton Vineyards specializes in high quality Virginia wine. Varieties include Viognier, Cabernet Franc, Norton, Tannat, Petit Manseng, and much more. Visit for the largest variety offering in the area and an enthusiastic staff to help you find the wines you enjoy.
Wilmington, Delaware
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such a wonderful experience”
Reviewed 22 October 2010

THE BEST wine and personable staff...Deke and Genia rock!! Was in Orange for a wedding and had a few hours to kill. So glad we stopped here!! Eclipse White and Cranberry wine are outstanding!!! A must on your to-do list while in the area!! Thanks Horton Vineyards!!

1 Thank twinadoes

Reston, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great staff, interesting wine, worth the visit‎”
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Horton was the first stop of the day for us, and we arrived shortly after they opened. The tasting list had roughly 40 wines, all of which were available for tasting. The tasting room staff was very friendly, and talked us through all of their varietals, asking on sweet/off dry/dry preferences, types of wine we enjoy, etc... They had a couple of interesting grapes we had not tried before - an Rkatsatelli (which is a Russian varietal) and a Petit Manseng. The Rkatsatelli was produced in both a standard and a reserve, with the standard being sweeter (1%ish residual sugar) with good floral notes and an almost vidal blanc finish, whereas the reseve was dry and crisp. The Petit Manseng was delicious, with a great bouquet and complex floral/honey notes that would do well to stand up to a heavy dish (we purchased a few bottles as presents).

The fruit wines that we sampled were all around 4% residual sugar, and pretty typical fare. The standout in that category was their cranberry wine, which had a tartness (which you would expect) that mellowed out the high sugar content. We sampled their two chocolate wines, white and dark chocoloate, and found them to have an almost artificial sweetener taste. Their port style dessert (made with Touriga Nacional) was a classic Virginia dessert wine, and while interesting not something I would bring home.

While this winery didn't have the best wines that we tasted in Charlottesville, they did have the best staff, the most selection, and the most innovation in wine making. I'd highly recommend stopping by if you're on your way to Charlottesville, or out touring the wineries in the region.

3 Thank jebr76
Ashburn, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great wines, horrible service”
Reviewed 12 July 2010

I rarely write reviews for anything. An experience has to be either incredible or incredibly terrible for me to take the time to review it. I'm making an exception here, because half the experience was fantastic. The other half was terrible. Horton gets 3 stars simply because the wines are great. There truly is something for every palate.

That being said, my friends and I drove several hours last weekend specifically to visit Horton. We go to all of the Northern Virgina festivals and love Horton's wines. Unfortunately, you are not able to taste everything at the festivals. They do not bring all of their wines (understandably, as there are about 40 of them) and the crowds prevent you from really being able to enjoy the wines. Hence our decision to drive 3 hours to visit them. We really wanted to be able to try everything.

Unfortunately, when we told the woman pouring that we wanted to try all of the whites, fruits and deserts (reds are upstairs in a separate tasting area), we received a lot of attitude. I feel it's important to mention that we were all fairly sober and VERY polite to her- even after she practically ignored us and rolled her eyes at us several times. Each time we finished tasting one, she asked what we wanted to try next (ummm....the next one on the list perhaps?). It felt like pulling teeth to get the woman to pour some wine for us.

After finally getting to try everything downstairs, we went upstairs to try one wine- the vintage port. Bob was pouring upstairs and was such a refreshing change after being treated so poorly by the wine nazi downstairs. He was friendly and encouraged us to try others that we probably would not have otherwise tried.

We only tried a few, since we were starting to feel the effects of the earlier whites. However, we hadn't decided which wines to buy, so we decided to trek back downstairs and try the 2 chocolates again (with a different pourer- since the first was so rude). When the first pourer saw us going to a different counter, she gave us a very nasty look and told the woman who was about to pour for us not to.

All three of us ended up buying, but we did it grudgingly. If all of their wines were available at Total Wine, we definitely would not have made any purchases after the way we were treated.

I understand that pouring wine all day for drunk people probably isn't great, but the staff at Horton need to keep in mind that a lot of the people there travel to Gordonsville specifically to visit their winery. While I love their wines, I don't think I will be visiting Horton again after the way my friends and I were treated. And I certainly wouldn't recommend it to other friends. I usually try not to drive 3 hours to be treated like crap- I can get that at some of the Northern VA wineries.

1 Thank Ashburnite
Charleston
“Excellent Chocolate Wine”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Just came from there. Bought several bottles. However, in addition to my former favorites, I came away with a White Chocolate Wine that tastes like--no kidding--tootsie rolls. It is absolutely AMAZING!!

Tasting: free/ Glass to take home: $3/ Chocolate wine: Priceless.

1 Thank VintageHippie
Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fall Barrel Tasting Event was an enjoyable experience.”
Reviewed 4 November 2008

This is a fun event. Our first visit to this vineyard was the 2008 Fall Barrel Tasting on a Sunday. The tasting room is 2 floors. The upper floor had reds and the lower floor had whites and fruit wines. $5.00 for a yours-to-keep sampling glass. Next taste all the Horton wines you desire. Still not sure of a favorite? Taste them all again! Also for the same $5 bill homemade clam chowder and chilie were available. To clear your pallate there was cheese, crackers and water. While we did not find a red we really liked we did discover 3 new whites and a cranberry wine that is just a fun drink. Now looking forward to the 2009 Spring Barrel Tasting event!

1 Thank pursue_peace