“OK but won't go back”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reston, Virginia
“OK but won't go back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

My wife and I used a Groupon here ($30 total for the Fixed Price menu rather than $30pp). That certainly gives excellent value and on the basis that nearly everyone seemed to have a coupon, this place is thriving (or at least surviving) on the coupon business. You can tell they get a lot of business this way as they ask you if you have a coupon and then direct you to the limited fixed price menu.

There's been a lot of comment about the service which I would agree is attentive but in a strange way. There are 3 waiters for what is a small restaurant with around 12 tables. You can tell which one of them is in charge as he loudly goes about his business, often barking demands at his co-workers and on one occasion, berating one of them in front of Customers after he had made a mistake. At times this reminded me of a Gordon Ramsey kitchen nightmares episode - it was at times amusing. You got a sense that the attentiveness is driven by the 'leader' driving the fear of God into his staff to make sure that everything is perfect.

As for the food - $15 per head was exceptional value. The standard price would be expensive for the quality of food. For appetizer, I had the fried feta salad which was fine, not great but OK. My wife had the soup - again OK. For Entree, I had the chicken breast in cumin sauce which I enjoyed. My wife had the flounder which was oily - it was supposed to come with grits but my wife substituted for fries - they werent great either. We both had flambe for dessert - nice.

We shared a bottle of white sauvignon blanc wine - arrived cold but not in a cooler so rapidly warmed towards room temperature.

Don't get me wrong, this place was OK and I'm sure will have lots of regular business from locals. The Groupon pricing makes it good value but it had a strange atmosphere and didn't make me want to return even though they gave us a voucher at the end for 25% off at the next visit.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Statsi

Herndon, Virginia
“Needs Improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband & I went to Mediterranee Restaurant on June 29th for dinner before heading to a concert. We had a $30 LivingSocial coupon for a 3-course Pre Fix Dinner for 2, normally $30/pp. It was an easy 5:30pm reservation. We arrived there on time and were quickly seated to a window seat which was nice. We were here once last year about the same time.

Food was good but can be better. I had the fried feta on top of beets salad which was really good. My husband had the Boston lettuce mesclun salad which was just ok, nothing out of the ordinary. For the main entree, I wanted to try the flounder but was not available so I I got the Marinated chicken breast in cumin sauce with chickpeas & roasted brussel sprouts. The sause was very good but the chicken was a tad bit dry so was chewy. I would have wanted it to be tender. My husband got the salmon which was better than my chicken. It had a very good taste. The grilled brussel sprouts was overdone. For dessert, husband opted for the banana flambe which was excellent. I went for the bread pudding and was again disappointed. It was dry and chewy.

Service was good and prompt. This was a saving grace for this restaurant. Now, if they can improve their food, they will have their excellent reputation back. I will be back to check if there will be an improvement.

• Visited June 2013
reston, va
“Will not return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We had a groupon for the fixed price dinner so went to Mediteranee tonight. What a disappointment. Most of the food looked like it came from a jar or can from Costco. Servers were nice but too overbearing. We were very unhappy that a gratuity of 20% was added to our bill!! There were only 2 of us -that was outrageous!!!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank eatergourmet
virginia
“Ok...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

The location at the end of a strip mall was odd for a pricy place. Only about 4-5 parties there on the weeknight we went. Service was top notch, but again, it wasn't very busy. Our appetizers and main courses were delicious, but the creme caramel dessert could be better. Inside does feel like a cafe.

• Visited May 2013
Great Falls, Virginia
“New Owner and Chef--Still Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

This was our first visit since the restaurant had changed owners and chef. To our delight, since this was our favorite neighborhood rerstaurant, the food was as good as ever, and the prices were still moderate. The service was good, although a tad bit intrusive.

The real test for the restaurant will be its ability to maintain high strandards as it finds its own niche and style. For the moment, most of its dishes are the standards that Jacques Imperato had--not a bad thing to be sure, but the new chef should strive to explore new dishes.

Based on this visit, we will definitely return in the near future.

• Visited March 2013