“mussel night”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Arlington, Virginia
“mussel night”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was stranded in traffic jam on Tysons corner, ,I decided to make a right on colvin run.. then I came across this restaurant was 5pm..restaurant was empty..waiter approached me..and ask me ' you here for mussels night? I don't know what you talking about?,, well I like mussels.. OK..bring some mussels..to-My SURPRISE.. WAS ALL YOU CAN EAT! and ..he just came .. bringing ..mussels..with different sauces.... and then he offered a wine fligh? along with the mussels..It was one of the best experiences I ever had.. in a long time... in a little restaurant just off Leesburg pike..I really recommended.. this 12 tables place.The wine list is impressive.. cheap! $7.95 for a glass French wine,and they bring the bottle to the table.. so you see the label and year? whoa!.. give you a 5 starts ..keep the good work1

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank ernesto760

Asheville, North Carolina
“Under New Management”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Mediterranee is under new ownership and management. Candidly, we miss Jacques (the original owner and culinary inspiration) as well as his entire staff, but either his chef has remained or someone else has learned the recipes perfectly. The menu has been shortened, probably because it was much too extensive for such a small establishment and must have resulted in a lot of waste. We do, however, miss some of the more "exotic" dishes such as the squid in black ink and anything with frisse; but our favorites are still on the menu. This is absolutely a restaurant worth a foodie's attention. The prices are reasonable for the quality. One thing that we now find annoying is that some of the servers are overbearing; if someone responds "my pleasure" once more to a simple request, I think I'll scream.

• Visited September 2013
Reston, Virginia
“OK but won't go back”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My wife and I used a Groupon here ($30 total for the Fixed Price menu rather than $30pp). That certainly gives excellent value and on the basis that nearly everyone seemed to have a coupon, this place is thriving (or at least surviving) on the coupon business. You can tell they get a lot of business this way as they ask you if you have a coupon and then direct you to the limited fixed price menu.

There's been a lot of comment about the service which I would agree is attentive but in a strange way. There are 3 waiters for what is a small restaurant with around 12 tables. You can tell which one of them is in charge as he loudly goes about his business, often barking demands at his co-workers and on one occasion, berating one of them in front of Customers after he had made a mistake. At times this reminded me of a Gordon Ramsey kitchen nightmares episode - it was at times amusing. You got a sense that the attentiveness is driven by the 'leader' driving the fear of God into his staff to make sure that everything is perfect.

As for the food - $15 per head was exceptional value. The standard price would be expensive for the quality of food. For appetizer, I had the fried feta salad which was fine, not great but OK. My wife had the soup - again OK. For Entree, I had the chicken breast in cumin sauce which I enjoyed. My wife had the flounder which was oily - it was supposed to come with grits but my wife substituted for fries - they werent great either. We both had flambe for dessert - nice.

We shared a bottle of white sauvignon blanc wine - arrived cold but not in a cooler so rapidly warmed towards room temperature.

Don't get me wrong, this place was OK and I'm sure will have lots of regular business from locals. The Groupon pricing makes it good value but it had a strange atmosphere and didn't make me want to return even though they gave us a voucher at the end for 25% off at the next visit.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Statsi
Herndon, Virginia
“Needs Improvement”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband & I went to Mediterranee Restaurant on June 29th for dinner before heading to a concert. We had a $30 LivingSocial coupon for a 3-course Pre Fix Dinner for 2, normally $30/pp. It was an easy 5:30pm reservation. We arrived there on time and were quickly seated to a window seat which was nice. We were here once last year about the same time.

Food was good but can be better. I had the fried feta on top of beets salad which was really good. My husband had the Boston lettuce mesclun salad which was just ok, nothing out of the ordinary. For the main entree, I wanted to try the flounder but was not available so I I got the Marinated chicken breast in cumin sauce with chickpeas & roasted brussel sprouts. The sause was very good but the chicken was a tad bit dry so was chewy. I would have wanted it to be tender. My husband got the salmon which was better than my chicken. It had a very good taste. The grilled brussel sprouts was overdone. For dessert, husband opted for the banana flambe which was excellent. I went for the bread pudding and was again disappointed. It was dry and chewy.

Service was good and prompt. This was a saving grace for this restaurant. Now, if they can improve their food, they will have their excellent reputation back. I will be back to check if there will be an improvement.

• Visited June 2013
reston, va
“Will not return”
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

We had a groupon for the fixed price dinner so went to Mediteranee tonight. What a disappointment. Most of the food looked like it came from a jar or can from Costco. Servers were nice but too overbearing. We were very unhappy that a gratuity of 20% was added to our bill!! There were only 2 of us -that was outrageous!!!

• Visited June 2013