“Not many choices in the area, but this one is good.”
Review of Comfort Inn Grundy

Comfort Inn Grundy
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grundy
Charleston
“Not many choices in the area, but this one is good.”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

When coming to Grundy, there isn't much to choose from when it comes to hotels and you had better book it early because this one fills up fast. Overall, it was a nice place to stay. No frills, but it was clean and seemed to be fairly updated. There are plenty of places to eat around and even a movie theater if you have the time. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jonathan C
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, 8 May 2013
Jonathan,
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your comments.
You are correct when you say there aren't many choices for lodging, but even though we are almost the only game in town, we still pride ourselves on maintaining a super clean facility and a friendly and helpful staff.
I look forward to you staying with us in the future.
Dominion Lodging, Inc.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Virginia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The entire staff - front desk, housekeeping, and breakfast area - is friendly and helpful. The room was very clean, and the bed was comfortable. No problems with anything in the room, which had a small refrigerator and microwave (although not all rooms have these amenities). Grundy is a little off the beaten path for most travelers, but if your plans bring you to the area, this is the place to stay!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ffffjjjj
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thanks for sharing your comments. We appreciate the kind words and that you found your room to be clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful.
We look forward to your return visit.
Draper, Virginia
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We enjoyed our overnight stay at this property. The staff was very friendly, the beds very comfortable, the bathroom was very nice and clean and well stocked. The cute little mini rubber duckie on the tub was probably more inviting to families with children than us although my spouse found great pleasure in tossing it at me on occasion. Overall the room and hotel were quite clean and well maintained, although the hot and cold on the bathroom faucet were backwards and the shower curtain rod needed tightening. The only thing we found a little to our distaste was that our room was right next to the elevator which added some disconcerting noise everytime it was used. The breakfast provided was adequate, but wish they'd had a better selection of healthy cold cereals, like some raisin bran or such. Enjoyed the complimentary local newspaper.

Room Tip: Don't get a room beside the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emptynester40
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
I am pleased you found all aspects of your room to be enjoyable except for the closeness to the elevator. I will make sure maintenance changes the hot and cold water supply lines so they are correct.
Please tell your husband that isn't exactly the intent of the rubber duckie. Although I do hope you threw it back at him.
We hope you will visit us again when traveling to the Grundy area.
Texas
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Guest services are helpful, very nice. Provides a warm cozy place to stay in the winter in the coal mining town of Grundy, Va. Lobby is warm and cozy and welcoming, especially coming from the cold outside. Im not sure why it says it's on Riverside Drive. It is on Waterfront rd, which you'd have to turn into from Riverside. 2 minutes drive from Grundy Walmart.

Room Tip: On the 3rd floor, the room location are actually opposite of what the sign says as you step out of t...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank avidtraveler2010
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Comfort Inn Grundy, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for your positive comments concerning your recent visit to the Comfort Inn.
I am pleased you found the hotel and staff to be warm and welcoming. We strive to make each guest feel as though they were at home.
The State Government is in the process of doing a major change in some of the roads and as a result, our road name was changed but is being changed back to Riverside Drive. The new signs have been ordered by the State but have not been erected yet.
Thanks again and we hope we can serve your lodging needs in the future.
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I had some business with assorted McDowell County schools for a few days and was looking for a name brand hotel somewhere within an hour's driving distance and this hotel was pretty much it. They take pride in the service and cleanliness and my king room was nicely appointed with fridge and microwave, wifi and assorted extras. As a tea drinker and not a coffee person I was especially pleased to see both regular and decaf tea in the room with the little coffemaker. The cleaning staff did a great job, even bundling up the cords on my hair dryer (one comes w the room but I like to bring my home) and other small touches like a rubber ducky in the shower. I'd stay here again if I were traveling through again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mrsdbrown1
Mount Carbon, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I made a reservation for a non smoking room 2 days in advance, but when I arrived, the clerk told me that the room had been closed. Whatever that means. There was no apology, and no phone call to let me know. She offered me a smoking room on the top floor and I had no choice but to accept, because no other hotels in the area had vacancies. When I got into my room the cigarette smell was overwhelming of course, but when I picked up the phone to request the wifi code that should have been included with my key, two roaches ran out from underneath the phone. I picked up my bags, got my money back, and slept in the car in the walmart parking lot. I was very dissapointed and was completely ignored y Comfort Inn's customer service.

I don't understand the platinum rating and all of the positive reviews. My experience was so bad that I couldn't even make it through a single night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Roy J
Virginia
Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

We were passing through the area and trying to decide to stay in Claypool Hill or Grundy. We called this Comfort Inn and they were very nice and held two rooms for us for about an hour without a credit card! The rooms were very clean and the staff were all super nice. True, as other reviewers have noted, the hotel is a bit dated (wallpaper, etc.), but the important things like cleanliness and safety are all there. Folks don't go to Grundy for a luxury vacation lol! The girl at the front desk was very accommodating and made sure we had everything we needed. The free wifi worked fine and I have no reservations about recommending this hotel to those passing through.

Also, the location was convenient to a trip to Breaks State Park.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kc-bug
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grundy
Super 8 Richlands/Claypool Hill Area
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Clintwood
Holiday Inn Express Claypool Hill

Been to Comfort Inn Grundy? Share your experiences!