“In the south but not necessarily southern food”

The Beautiful South Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Upperville, VA USA
“In the south but not necessarily southern food”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We had lunch recently and the food was OK but not outstanding. The crab meat in the salad was frozen and tasteless. Fish tacos were large and satisfying but not worth a return trip. The restroom was in need of plumbing repairs.

• Visited August 2013

Leesburg, Virginia
“We just had apps, but they were really good!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Dropped by the other night while in Hamilton and we were pretty happy with our food!

On first entry the place seems a bit dark and not very well staffed. A sign said to Seat Yourself, so we did and then proceeded to wait a good 5+ minutes before we even finally saw a staff member.

He came over right after he dropped off the drinks he was carrying and was very friendly, even apologized for our wait, which was nice. He, as far as we could tell, was the only server in the place, and had a good handful of tables spread out across the restaurant.

We decided to order some apps and beers, partially because they sounded yummy, and partly because the entrees were very expensive. For a small place in a small town, I was not expecting $20+ entrees.

We ordered our beers and our 3 apps to share, the Greek Antipasto, the filet sliders, and the Miso Dragon mussels.

Our beers arrived pretty quickly, and the apps took about 20 minutes, would have been nice to get some bread or something for the wait, but as I said, he was very busy.

We ate the sliders first and they were great, good buns, great steak, yummy mushrooms and a horseradish sauce on top. We then moved on to tackle the mussels and they were the best part by far. Great cook on them, and the sauce, a miso sriracha style broth was amazing, had to ask for more bread to sop that stuff up! Didn't actually get very far with the Antipasto plate, it was definitely not the star of the evening, but was fine, nothing remarkable. We tasted a bit and then had it boxed to take home.

The service could be better, just in terms of having more staff, but the food we had was very good and our server was awesome overall.

• Visited July 2013
“Great food”
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

While the atmosphere in Beautiful South isnot great, the food is really great. The chef knows his menu and can execute some very high class cuisine. Recommend the fried goat cheese salad. The weiner schnitzel and crab loussaine is absolutely incredible. The pizzas are outstanding. Drop the prices of the Draft beer and I would eat there every day. Clean the place up and improve the atmosphere and this would compare with Magnolia's for food quality.

• Visited June 2013
Stephens City, Virginia
“Ok food, poor service”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My husband and I live in the area and were wanting to try something new so we decided to go to The Beautiful South Restaurant and Lounge. We were celebrating me getting a new job and my husband wanted to take me out to celebrate. We both ordered steaks, my steak was amazing but the sides were so tasteless that I could not eat them (which is sad, how can someone mess up potatoes). We ordered two glasses of wine and were disappointed that the wine tasted like the bottle had been opened too long.
We brought our daughter with us that has a lot of allergies... we understand that there is a lot that she can't eat but when asking if certain items on the children's menu had certain ingredients, the server said there was no way for him to know what was in the food. All restaurants we go to either have a box with ingredients on the side or are made from scratch and the chef or sous chef knows what is in the food... for neither to apply to their food, I was a little worried about how they prepare it! Again, I don't expect for all restaurants to carry "allergy-free" items just because my kid has allergies but please make an attempt to know what is in your food. I feel like a teenage cashier at a fast food chain has more information about their food and got about the same service and respect.
I just feel that for the price, we should have received better service, respect, and better food with someone who knows what is in the food. I feel that because we were not regulars, we were not treated as well as the others that were obvious regulars from the hugs and welcomes that they got. We will not be going back to this place and as management in hospitality, it will not be one of my recommendations for our guests.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank foobear4
Purcellville, Virginia
“Just plain South....Not so beautiful”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Just an average Friday night last minute dinner out. The atmosphere would be fine for a couple friends hanging out but not to enjoy a dinner with a spouse and child. I was pleased with my entree but my wife was less than impressed. The steaks were well prepared and were very good but the sides lacked any attention from the cook. We never got the water that we asked for when we sat down. We were a little less than happy when we asked for a glass of wine and were asked simply "red or white?" No wine list offered.
We felt like that since we were not on a first name basis with the staff that we could have just stayed home and they wouldn't have cared. We really didn't have expectations for the place but still managed to be let down.

• Visited November 2012