“Convenient location but needs updating”

Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel when we were attending an event at the nearby convention center. The location is very convenient to I-64, the Coliseum and the convention center and there are numerous eating establishments nearby. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was very cold and windy during our stay. I noticed that after the heat in my room turned off I could feel a cold breeze. There was a significant gap visible between the heating/cooling unit and the wall. The windows are dated and cold air was seeping in. Although the furniture and bedding in my room were in good shape, it was clear that the building is in need of updating.

Breakfast was included in the room rate. We all loved the pancake machine which made fresh pancakes at the push of a button. My only complaint is that the coffee was weaker than I like.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Go_pgh,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel in the area and found our staff to be friendly. We would like to apologize for the room accommodations you had did not live up to your expectations. We also apologize the coffee we offer in our breakfast area was less than satisfactory. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for business at this last minute after the original hotel we had booked was not good. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and was able to fit myself and my 3 co-workers into rooms. The hotel is 100% smoke free which is a plus for me. Hotel was clean and most things seemed very new. Breakfast included was a nice add on.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I do not have any complaint for the price I paid for this hotel through Priceline. Location is great, but you can only enter the hotel going one direction, or you will have to make a U turn couple KM away. Breakfast area is nice, but the selection of breakfast items get boring after a few days. Room is okay, not great, because most of the wooden furniture in our room are quite worn and outdated. Business centre is located weirdly right next to the breakfast area in the open so if you are using one of the nice Lenovo desktops for private matters the people sitting right behind or beside you having their breakfast can actually read what you have on the screen. Walls are thin so we hear baby crying all the time next door and door slamming frequently late at night and early in the morning costing our quality sleep time.

Room Tip: Stay at the end of the wings and you will be assured better sleep time. Our room is too close to the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014

in a nutshell, they are WONDERFUL. It sits on what was the "old" Holiday Inn. My family selected this spot based on other online reviews and its proximity to other Hpt things. It is right off of I-64 (Mercury Blvd exit). A Hooters is less than a block away, there are TWO walmarts on this street and about ANY other store you can think of. The AF base, is a short 7min drive away. I felt safe here. The side door has a keycard that you need to wave about.....that kinda was a "new" concept for the older ones in our group to process. The gym area, the IT area, and pool were all well lit, clean, and never that crowded. The breakfast is typical fare....the rooms were furnished nicely, and the beds slept well.

Each staff member we encountered was helpful and informative on local places to go. We tried a place up the street called Tommy's....( a local I-hop sorta place). We would stay here again, IF in this area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I spend months of the year on the road, and there were a lot of good aspects to this hotel. The beds were comfortable, the towels were large and fluffy, plenty of storage, and they had a good sized desk for computer work. The breakfast was really good as well.

We had problems with our toilet continuing to run after it was flushed. The staff tried 4 separate times to fix the problem with no luck. I will admit they offered to move us to a new room, but when you travel with as much stuff as a I do, changing rooms can be very time consuming. So we chose just to deal with it, and when it would start running on its own in the middle of the night and wake us up, we would just go jiggle the handle to make it stop.

The hotel has been nicely remodeled except for one place. The elevators are old, and don't always work correctly. Sometimes you have to push the button several times to get the doors to close and for it to go up to your floor.

The one thing that occurred that really bothered me was how the light would go off in the lobby bathroom in under 30 seconds, and you were stuck feeling your way around trying to find the door handle. I asked three separate times to have that fixed, and it wasn't actually done until I filed a complaint with the fire marshal because of the danger it posed.

The brightest part of the stay was the great hospitality we got from Harmony, Darrell, and Nellie. They are incredible employees, and really make you feel at home the minute you walk in the hotel.

I used Hotwire and got a rate of $55 per night for a 12 day stay, so it was definitely worth the money. I would never pay their advertised rate, because it certainly is not an $89 a night hotel.

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms close to the elevators. There is a lot of traffic, and the bells on the el...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Donna F, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for providing us with your feedback during your recent visit with us. Our associates work extremely hard to ensure that your stay exceeds your expectations. We appreciate your acknowledging their efforts despite the problems that you incurred during you stay. We do apologize for the discomfort you experienced and we want to assure you that your concerns have been addressed. Your comfort and safety is very important to us and we assure you that we are in compliant with all safety regulations. It is our desire that you give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment to your complete satisfaction. We look forward to your next visit.

Thanks

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My stay was enjoyable from the time I stepped in the doors until I left! EVERYONE was more than helpful with any questions I had and I will most definetly be staying there again!!! The staff was extremely friendly and we even had a great time teasing each other about our NFL teams! I will be bringing my daughter with me next time I come down and I know she will be as impressed with everyone just like I am!! Thank you so much to everyone who works there!!! JOB WELL DONE!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This hotel is very much update. We stayed in a double queen bedroom decent size hotel room for a family of four. We have 2 toddlers and they very much enjoyed the FREE breakfast (mom and did too!) cool machine that makes fresh pancakes, they have a mini fridge with milks and yogurt, tea and cereals.

Beautiful hotel only downside is that the bathroom is kind of small but as long as you're not planning on moving in, you should be fine!

enjoy your stay and book with confidence

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family