“Decent value, met my expectations”
Review of Courtyard Hampton

Courtyard Hampton
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Santa Monica, CA
“Decent value, met my expectations”
Reviewed 17 October 2011

If you just need a place to stay while passing through or mucking around the historic sites of Virginia, then Courtyard by Marriott will be just fine for you. Rooms were clean and comfortable, staff friendly, and the breakfast buffet decent and filling. The location near a large shopping/commercial area can be a plus if you want to get out in the evening. Of course, this Hotel is nothing fancy, but we didn't see any hotels in this area that is. Temper your expectations and you could do much worse than this hotel. Worked out well for us.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ohio, USA
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed at Courtyard on Coliseum Drive for three nights while on a business trip in the Hampton area. I found the staff to be very helpful, particularly since I had a very late change in my schedule and they were quickly and efficiently able to accommodate the request.

The location is convenient to several restaurants and shopping (there is a mall just across the highway).

As for the hotel itself, there are pros and cons. On the plus side, I found the sleeping/living area of my room to be spacious and well kept. I had a kingbed room, and there was space for a couch, coffee table and a good size office area. There were ample electrical outlets near the desk. There was also free wifi throughout the hotel (common areas and in the guest rooms). I did have to call once for connection assistance (the first time I tried to connect), but the issue was quickly resolved and there was no further problem. The exercise room was large and had serveral machinces (2 treadmills, 2 elipticals, 2 bikes and a stepper, plus free weights) and a TV to help keep your mind off the workout. They also offer a free breakfast, but it was pretty basic.

On the negative side, the lower floor rooms (like the one I was in) had a sliding door opening to the outside; perhaps a security concern. Also, the bathroom, while large, was a bit beat-up (wall paper cracked and peeling) and could have been a bit cleaner (it was not bad, but it was not spotless either).

I would stay here in the future, but there is another lodging option in the immediate area that I prefer.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank OhioHick
Hampton, Virginia
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Like I said, we had a power outage and needed a quick stay. Downside, breakfast is too expensive for families. I would have stayed at the Embassy Suites across the street instead. Room was large and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Chesterfield, VA
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The hotel room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The a/c barely cooled the room and the refrigerator never got cold. The staff were very friendly. The pool was a little on the dirty side. I wish the whirlpool could have been accessed by your room key, by the time I got back to my room from late meetings the door to the whirlpool room was locked.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Upper Marlboro
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The hotel was nice, and not as pricey as some of the others. Nothing amazing, but nothing bad either. Overall I was pleased with everything.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
east coast
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Check in on the 10th for one night just after spending the four previous nights at the Embassy Suites just down the road. From the time we checked in, about 9 p.m. to well after midnight the hallways were full of out of control kids. We were their for a national basketball tournament with my son who plays. Complained two times. Security visited the floor along with the room next door. Room next door was full of 13 year olds, no adults. After about five minutes, the noise just cranked back up. I gave up and finally got to sleep well after midnight. They did refund me $35 out of the $107 I paid the next morning after my wife talk to the manager. I've stayed at the Embassy a total of eight nights the past two years, and their is no comparison between the two. Never a problem at the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank BBTOGS
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2011

What exactly do you want from a hotel/motel? A clean room? A friendly staff? Well maintained grounds and rooms? A reasonable rate? Close proximity to good food and shopping? Easy access to the highway?

The Courtyard by Marriott in Hampton is a BIG YES to all of these - a BIG YES!!

I was in town on business for a three nights stay from June 22 to the 25. Upon check-in I was greeted by Darwin who was very kind and even let me spin the "Wheel of Fortune" for Marriott points or a free item from their very well stocked "Cold and Room Temp Pantry". I spun and was not lucky enough to get neither - but it remained a nice addition to the check in process. This process was fast and very friendly.

My room was Room 216 on the second floor over looking the pool/courtyard. It had a balcony with a few chairs to enjoy a nice evening on as well as a small refrigerator to keep drinks cold. The bathroom was the separated type with the shower/tub and toilet in one room and the sink/mirror just outside. The room was clean with quite a few channel choices on the TV. The beds (I had two in my room) were very comfortable with plenty of pillows and covers.

What more would you need?

The area around the hotel was safe and clean. There was plenty of parking in the parking lot. Just two blocks or so down the road was a massive outdoor shopping mall with PLENTY of shopping and dining options along with a Target, Barnes & Noble, Chipotle and Outback Steakhouse.

I can't think of any more I would want from this price point hotel/motel. We were booked at a Corporate Rate of $109 a night but it was advertised at $119 a night. I would have easily spent the extra money.

If I had ANY negative addition to my review was something I had read before we checked in. One reviewer here added that you could hear people walking in the room above you. I DID, in fact, here footsteps at times but they were never extremely loud. The footsteps never got to the point where it was annoying to kept me up at night. To be honest - most hotels have this issue in some fashion - this was not an issue for me.

Bottom line = Safe, Clean, Kid, Relaxing and a GREAT overall value!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business