“A bit pricey for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Courtyard Hampton

Courtyard Hampton
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Four Oaks, North Carolina
“A bit pricey for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

The hotel itself was clean and modern. There is no breakfast offered, but there was a small store and bistro that you could purchase items in. Needless to say, the items were very expensive. The room itself was a decent size, but the heater took the word "warm" to heart. It got so hot in the room, despite turning the heat down to 50, that we ended up turning the heat off. Upon getting home and checking my credit card, I discovered that the hotel had charged an extra $50.00 to our card for "incidentals". I called the hotel and asked them why they had charged my card for $50.00 more than I was showing on the print out they gave me and they said that they do that to everyone just in case they used other services after the card was swiped. They claim that they notify the credit card company and that it should be "released" back to my account in a couple of days. I have NEVER had any other hotel do this. Will NOT stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon H
Mark B, General Manager at Courtyard Hampton, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Sharon H:

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with our hotel.

You indicated in your response that you had concerns with the heater in your room as well as the credit card authorization for incidentals. Please accept our sincere apologies for this inconvenience you experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. I am having our Chief Engineer look at the heating element in that unit to replace it as needed.

As for the credit card authorization, each guest who pays by credit/debit are subject to a minimal incidental authrization of approximately $25 per day to cover any charges above and beyond room and tax. I'm deeply sorry that this was not relayed to you upon check-in. Moving forward, my front desk supervisor will conduct a training session with all front line associates to address proper guest communication as it pertains to their credit card activity.

Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. And I do hope you will reconsider staying with us the next time your travels bring you back to Hampton, VA. We'd love to have you back!

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. If I may be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me. Thank you again for you feedback!

MARK BLEAKLEY
Courtyard Hampton
mark.bleakley@marriott.com
757-838-3300

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fargo, North Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel but will not do so again.

First, it is winter, 14 degrees and the place was freezing cold. The halls were like ice and to go down the hall you needed a coat. I asked the desk if they could make them warmer and the response was "Well, I don't know." Well, no it was not made warmer.

The staff wore coats and sweaters and scarfs, wool scarfs. The lobby was fairly comfortable but not warm at all. They had gas logs that put out no heat.

My room was cold, despite having the heat up to 78 degrees. There was a draft on the floor, coming from under the air conditioning unit. I was on the ground floor and they had sliding glass doors which leaked air. At 14 and a 20 mph wind it let in a lot. I never got warm.

The bathroom had no heat and despite leaving the door open all the time to it, you froze when you got out of the shower. I put the heat up to 80 just to get warm. The bathroom needed some fixing, the water control leaked water, the door jamb had rusted and was hastily caulked and painted over but had rusted through again.

The bed was comfortable but there were not enough covers and no blanket available.
The food was so-so and my group opted to go out.

The exercise room was just as cold. Try working up a sweat in the cold.

I travel a lot and as a business man I would not select this hotel again, especially in the winter. I have been in Cleveland in January and was warmer. This is the coldest place I have ever stayed. Management needs to take a look at this.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Mark B, General Manager at Courtyard Hampton, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Greetings from Hampton Virginia:
Thank you for taking time to send us your feedback. I am so sorry for the cold experience you had while staying with us. As soon as I received your feedback I got with my Chief Engineer to ensure all heating elements were in proper order and functioning at full capacity.

I can only imagine how uncomfortable it was for you and your group trying to relax and enjoy your stay. We take pride in the service we give to all of our guests and hope that you will reconsider staying with us again when yor travels bring you back to Hampton, VA.

Thank you again for your response.
Kind Regards,

Mark
Foster City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Hotel is located close to highway so easy to find which is nice. It is a little noisey from the highway, but a fair trade off. The people at the desk were helpful with directions to close by shopping that I was looking for. Only a one night stay so didn't really use the facilities available. Good to have a refrigerator in the room.

It is close to the train station which I used for this trip.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MOBX
Bristol, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Check in and check out was fast. The room was on the small side, but clean, and there was a balcony that overlooked the pool (which would probably be nice during warmer months). The toiletries available were nice (they didn't have a strong fragrance), but the shampoo and conditioner only had about one use per bottle. That's fine if you're the only one in the room and are only staying one night. The shower in my room was terrible. The showerhead was positioned as low as it could go, and it still sprayed straight back. Also, the tub didn't drain well. The bed was comfortable, and the pillows were large. However, I brought my own pillow, so I don't know how comfortable the pillows were for sleeping on all night. There were two outlets above the nightstand which was great for charging phones and tablets. The room had a mini fridge, but no microwave. There must not be a lot of insulation between the rooms because I heard every step the person in the room above made. After that, I tried to walk lightly so as not to disturb the room below me. During my stay, housekeeping arrived fairly early; between 9-10 a.m.There is a small fitness center, which was nice, even though I only got to use it once. The hotel is close to shopping and dining in Hampton, and isn't very far from the main highway.

Room Tip: Request a room on the top floor (3rd) floor to reduce amount of noise heard from other guests.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ChelBell7
O'Fallon, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was a nice hotel with ample parking. It is located in an area with plenty of other hotel options close by as well as shopping and dining. The foyer is small but has seating and restaurant in it for those who are looking for a place to relax and get a casual bite to eat. That said, you can also buy your breakfast here as no complimentary breakfast is provided. Standard small "Market" with some snacks, drinks, etc. to purchase that is located next to front desk. Staff is very friendly, motivated and helpful. The room I had was very nice and included a small refrigerator inside a cabinet...but no microwave. I thought that was pretty standard appliance in hotel rooms but apparently not the Courtyard. Bed was very comfortable with nice but small pillows. I found the area around the hotel to be nice to take a jog on with plenty of sidewalks to run on. The courtyard itself was nice and had seating to enjoy sitting outside in the evening. I'd have no problem staying here again but I'd probably choose a hotel that provided complimentary breakfast over it, all things being equal.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Yorktown Heights, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Decided to stay at this property on the way home from Hilton Head Island via the Chesapeake Bay Bridge to the Northeast. The property is conveniently located off the interstate in Hampton Virginia. The room was modern and very clean. I did not get a courtyard view room and therefore my room had a sliding glass door into "mulch" and grass before the parking lot which I found a bit odd and perhaps a security concern to some. Additionally, the pool was open until 9 but there were no lights in the pool area so after the sun had set it was very dark on the pool patio. The beds were a bit soft and you felt as if you were being sucked into the mattress - but otherwise fine unless you like a very firm mattress.

If in Hampton, I would not hesitate to book this hotel, the staff was very friendly on both check in and check out.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room which faces into pool area in lieu of parking lot area.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PMPB_11
Mark B, General Manager at Courtyard Hampton, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Paul B...Thank you for your response. We try very hard to ensure every guest has a great experience when staying with us. Thank you again for taking time to tell us about you time here with us and hope that if your travels bring you back to Hampton you will stay with us again!
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Staff was very attentive... the courtyard was your average upgraded courtyard. the lobby was clean... the food was okay (a little overpriced as to be expecte) The pool was a little less than what I expected....it is outside ( We preferred an Iindoir pool )rooms were your average marriott courtyard decor.
Location wwasin good walking distance from many many stores and restaurants including Golden Corral. It was a bikers convention...."Bufflo Soldiers" who were amazing...along with alot of history. And also AAU Nationals for 6th grade. With all that was going on...the hotel still managed individual attentikn to everone!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank OurTripTip4U
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your kind words and hope that if your travels bring you back to the Hampton, VA area we hope to see you back here at the Courtyard.