“Good hotel in a convenient location”

Courtyard Hampton Coliseum Central
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I spent a week here while on a business trip to Fort Monroe.

Pros:
Good location. Lots of restaurants and a town center/mall just down the street. Close to Fort Monroe where I was working. Friendly and helpful hotel staff. Decent size rooms with balconies. Large flatscreen tvs. Plenty of parking. Breakfast buffet (until 10am) is the best I've had at a Marriott. All the standard continental items plus lots of hot items like sausage, bacon, eggs (made to order on request too), biscuits & gravy, and grits. The breakfast buffet is free for government/military room rates and I believe Marriott elite status members. Otherwise, its $9.95 a person.

Cons:
I stayed on the 2nd floor and could constantly hear footsteps from the room above. Could hear lots of noise from the hallway also. Housekeeping starts really early (8am or so) and can be pretty noisy. Wireless internet is only in the lobby. The rooms have ethernet cords and the speed is only so-so.

Overall, I was happy with the hotel and would stay there again if I'm in the Hampton area. If you stay at this Courtyard, definitely check out the Peninsula Town Center area down the street.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 February 2011

I stayed at the Courtyard over a weekend until a Tuesday and being the month of January it was very quiet. The rooms are airy and bright and have everything you need for a comfortable stay. They have a small gym and outdoor pool in case you fancy doing a little phys exercise! I found all the staff, helpful and accomodating with good knowledge of the local area. At breakfast there is plenty of choice although the hot water for tea was luke warm and being an englishman this was a 'cardinal sin'!! The hotel is well situated within the I64, 2 minutes away, and plenty of restaurants and a large shopping mall all within 5 minuntes walk. The internet is fine although rooms further away from the lobby failed to pick up the wifi? I could pick up wifi from a hotel across the road?! Only down point was that there is no bar. However, Hooters and Kellys tavern are within one minutes walk. All in all a pleasant hotel and would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank scopie100
Reviewed 14 July 2010

2nd stay in 2 weeks. i stayed at springhill here in hampton previously. it was, as those reviewed from here stated, not well kept and the breakfast was no where near as good as here at the courtyard marriott (1 of the best hotel breakfasts i can recall). staff is very friendly. it's in a great location...near numerous restaurants, both fast food and sit-down. rooms are pretty clean. only complaints include guests that enjoy standing outside peoples' doors at night talking, occasionally noise guests at the pool, and the walls / ceilings are not made of solid iron (you can hear guests 'getting around' in the morning). also, there is no wireless internet and the plug-in internet is slower than s#*t.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank sferrell615
Reviewed 25 April 2010

Each year we travel to Hampton, VA for our State SkillsUSA competition and stay in hotels near the Hampton Convention Center. This year we moved from our previous hotel we had stayed in for years and what a wonderful change. The Courtyard Marriott staff, rooms, grounds were simply the best!!! We travel with high school students and the staff at Courtyard treated everyone with respect . The whirlpool was wonderful after a day of walking, the rooms and free internet the best. My only complaint was the mattress sagged alittle and I had to sleep in the middle to keep from rolling off. My roomate did not have this trouble with the other bed. It wasn't bad enough to complain. When asked for extra coffe it was given with a smile and we were asked if there was anything else we needed. I just can't say enough good stuff about this hotel. Close to the Coliseum and Convention Center. Great restaurants within walking distance. The rates were comparible to other hotels surrounding the coliseum area. Thanks Hampton Courtyard Marriott for a refreshing, wonderful time .

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank mommapiep
Reviewed 31 March 2010

I stayed here for 7 nights during a work conference at the Convention Center. Our first choice had been sold out, so we ended up here. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. Mary at the front desk was wonderful and greeted me by name every time she saw me. I only have 2 minor complaints. Breakfast is decent, but after 7 days gets old. I wish they would rotate items so we don't have to eat the same stuff every day...ugh! The other complaint was the noise. I had a room near the elevator and ice machine and it drove me nuts. When I tried napping during the day, all I would hear was banging and housekeepers yelling, "HOUSEKEEPING!!" over and over again. On my final day, they had given us a one hour late check out. I was napping (I was sick that week) when I heard a bang at my door evern though I had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. When I yelled out that I wasn't interested, she kept asking me questions about my checkout time. Don't they have a computer for that? All in all, I would recommend this hotel is you are far from the elevator and don't get sick:)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank luv2travel821
Reviewed 25 February 2010

There is nothing truly wrong with this average hotel. We stayed here the night of a concert at Hampton Coliseum. It was right next door so that worked out perfect. With that said, from checking in, to asking for a couple extra towels, to getting a cot delivered to our room, it was as if the staff here was going out of their way to do us a huge favor each time. Basically it was bad, lackluster, and unfriendly service throughout. I am also curious to the hiring process at this hotel as everyone there seemed, for lack of a better description, like a complete idiot.

I have Marriot Rewards so I did get some points by staying here, and I did sleep okay, but I'm not proud of these points, nor would I stay here again.

Oh yea, they never did deliver us our cot either. They must have been using the Playstation at the time.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank lunarluau
Reviewed 6 December 2009

I wanted a quick overnight getaway and had accumulated reward points so when doing my reservation, this hotel was chosen for my category. I'm so glad it was! Service was very friendly with checking in and out. The room was nice, clean and smelled very fresh (not that musty smell that rooms sometimes have). The lobby was fabulous with the beautiful fireplace where I had a chance to sit and read...very relaxing since I almost dozed off. Location was great...good shopping and great restaurants close by.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple