“watered down and flavorless”

Gaubaukham Tai Restaurant
Ranked #190 of 303 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
San Antonio, Texas
“watered down and flavorless”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

We visited this place for lunch based off the good reviews it got on trip advisor. I ordered some Tom Ka Gai and was NOT impressed. It was watered down and had no flavor. My freind ordered Tom Yum and hers was the same. Flavorless and a lot of water, not much spice or content. When we asked for more flavor the waiter said different places make it differently. I have lived/traveled all over the place and there are certain things that are just plain Thai. Thai soup is one of those things. I ended up ordering some curry instead which was also very watered down but at least had a bit more flavor. Needless to say I was not impressed and will not go back. Our friends (local) told us to go to Thai Papaya which is in the same area but didn't get as good of reviews on Trip Advisor. I'll give it a try!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Acnwgirl

Williamsburg, VA
“ALL SMILES!!!”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I was very surprised by this place. It is in a very unassuming location - strip mall - but this place cranks out great food. Upon arrival you can tell this place is a family owned/run mom-n-pop kinda place (ie food is authentic and made with love and that's all they care about). I started out with the veggie spring rolls. They were fairly large and came with 4 of them (even though there are only two in the picture - i got excited and started eating before i remembered to take a photo - cut me some slack! :P) Usually I count on tofu filling out the roll but in this case I didn't even miss the tofu! The fresh bean sprouts added lots of crunch and freshness. The peanut sauce was extra special to me for these reasons: it didn't feel manufactured or processed like a lot of peanut sauces can be. It wasn't overly sweet and the best and most surprising thing was it actually had a bit of a vinegary tang to it which I just died for! I ordered the tofu pad ka pao thai hot. This place actually manufactured a decent thai hot! Pretty much all other thai places i have been in the area wuss out of producing a spicy thai hot but not Gah Bua Kham. I was super pleased. I always get excited when i see the hot pepper "relish" drenching my food. My guest had the tofu pineapple rice regular heat. I had a bite and the tofu was firm yet soft at the same time. Cashews provided a nice note to an otherwise sweet dish. He added more spice to his via the spice tray (which i have to say i was really disappointed in - just the regular thai dry mix, crushed peanuts, and sugar - no pickled chilis or extra hot sauces). All in all great place. I will dine here again!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Consistent Excellence!! I really have fallen in LOVE with this little place. It has become a weekly pleasure for me to come here! As I have stated before, this is a FAMILY run/owned restaurant - grandparents all the way down to grandchildren. They provide excellent service and they really care about you, your experience, and the food they put on the table. As one of the servers put it (paraphrasing) "this is what we eat, this is what we grew up eating and this is still what we eat every day!" When you come here you truly feel as if you have come over to your close friend's supper table. They remember you and your preferences and they even take joy in seeing how you are doing in your life. A great, delicious, and relaxing experience is had every time! Take a moment to talk to the owners and ask your server for advice on what you should eat.
A little tip - since it is a small establishment try to get there early to make sure you get a seat. They are closed on Sundays but open every other day at 11. Even when you have to wait its typically not that long and honestly I would wait hours to eat here.
Another note - ***they close everyday from 15:00-16:30 to take a little break from the lunch crowd and to prepare for the dinner service.*** So keep that in mind.
What can I say? I am gushing with Gah Bua Kham Thai LOVE! I have tried the other Thai restaurants in the surrounding area and I still come back here. Definitely give it a try and can assure you you won't be disappointed!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank WMSBGFoodie
St-Lazare
“Decent Thai Restaurant”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

First off the restaurant is very small and in a strip mall. There was no air conditionning and all the drapes were closed, so the place looked a liitle grim.
The server was a teenager who seemed to have little experience and who was hard to understand.The food was fresh and well prpared but was nothing special compared to other Thai restaurants we had been to. In summary I recommend the place if you are looking for good Thai food and don't care about ambiance and service.

• Visited July 2011
Portsmouth, Virginia
“Great Thai Food!”
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I have been eating here for over a year, and the food gets better everytime I go. I love everything on the menu which makes it hard to decide when I return. The value, the atmosphere, and the food are wonderful! I highly recommend this for Thai dining in Hampton, Virginia!

• Visited January 2011
Norfolk, Virginia
“Fresh, friendly, fabulous”
Reviewed 23 October 2010

Small, family-owned Thai restaurant that serves great food. Very good value for the price paid, too.
What more could you ask?