“Your average "motel"”
Review of Sans Souci Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hampton
Sans Souci Motel
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Richmond, Virginia
“Your average "motel"”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was a last minute weekend trip and the Sans Souci Motel was very reasonably priced to be located directly on the beach. We loved the pool, the view and the hospitality from the employees. The motel is old but well upkept outside and they take pride in being clean...I agreed until I saw the shower in our room & other rooms. The housekeeping has neglected the showers for a while. Im not bothered by the old outdated showerhead or tiles but the shower grime is another thing. The toilet & sink was clean but not the shower. I only saw 1 room with a clean shower and that was room # 208 but this room is a corner room with no view of the ocean. If they fixed this Id definitely return IF NOT I wont. Its a lovely beach and they fishing pier is very nice also.

Room Tip: Upstairs has better views. Room #208 is the cleanest but doesn't have a view of the ocean
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mailnmel

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This was a last minute plan get away with the kids, the price was just right for booking so close to the Memorial Day weekend.
The place is nice and comfortable, no bells and whistles. Has a pool and a little wading pool. You can get rooms with ocean view.
Although the rooms are not smoking there's lots of smoking on the halls so be prepared for that if it bothers you.

We drove to several attractions very near by so this was an easy vacation.

The front desk ladies were extremely friendly and helpful.

So to resume, easy, affordable family beach getaway. Not for high maintenance folks.

Room Tip: If bright lights bother you, as it does many families with small children, ask at the front desk for...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank marga_toddle-do
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Stayed at Sans Souci with my daughter and two grandkids. It was our first time to Sans Souci and our first time to Buckroe Beach. We loooved it! It brought back memories of when i was a kid traveling with my parents and staying in "Motels" It was original and clean and the lady at the front desk was awesome! We ate at "Jacks" like she suggested and it was really good, a place where the locals eat. It was pretty much off season and we had the beautiful, clean beach to our selves. I loved the little town and would consider moving there...I loved it that much!

Room Tip: They have two rooms that look right to the beach.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank GRammysham
charlottesville
Reviewed 1 July 2012

we have stayed at the Sans Souci from the late 60s till yesterday (June 28,2012) and it is not perfect but is home! The motel was built in 1965 and the baths are still the same yellow and black tile but clean and in good repair, the bedspreads are old and furniture old but all in good shape, new flat screen TV and good cable, very affordable (120) i think--just a small family run motel thats in a great location( right on the beach) clean pool, helpfull staff couldnt ask for more at Buckroe-dont get me wrong its no 5 star, but it was never meant to be its a family motel--I wish the amusement park was still there 1st rollercoster i ever rode, hanging on to my dad--great times then and now-----go see for yourself

Room Tip: room 100 looks out at bay, on ground floor, easy acsess for disabled
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank thomas j
Canton, OH
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We aren't high maintenence people. If you are, don't even bother with this place. It is right on the ocean and has a great view. The people are friendly. But . . . . it could have been cleaner. The sticky mouse trap under the bed kinda grossed me out. The shower definitely could have been cleaner. This place hasn't been re-done since the 1950s. That either adds to the charm or the delapidated feel. Honestly, could have enjoyed the old paneling, the yellow and black tile in the shower except for the smokers next door. We had a four people that smoked non-stop outside our door. It was hard to keep the smoke out of our room. They also talked until 3 in the morning. The second day was much quieter. The boardwalk area was charming and the beach was clean.

Room Tip: It is $10 more for the end room on the ocean. However, this is an L shaped motel and the one row si...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank workingkim
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 March 2012

When I visit down here at the Sans Souci Motel i had an amazing time down there. When we went down there I the lady at the front desk. I asked her where is any good places to eat at and she said Jacks. She gave me directions and everything to the place it was amazing. Also the view toward the beach is amazing to look at in the morning with some coffee down in the office. One night we order Pizza from Rico's Pizza and they deliver right to the door. I will be going down there a lot more during the summer.

Room Tip: Higher floors greater view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank Chris L
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I surprised my mother and grandmother with a stay here while visiting the area knowing how much they like being near the beach and the "quaintness" of a beachy feel motel. I am a hotel snob so this was really stretching it for me. It just about did me in. We checked out the rooms ahead of time and we were told the musty smell would go away once the AC units had ran for a while. The accomodations are VERY minimal. The bathroom is very small and only has a shower. The sink in the room I was in really needed to be replaced, as the enamel was chipping off of it and it looked awful. I know they are trying to keep the old beachy feel to the hotel, but I feel like they need to update the rooms. The beachy feel could be maintained without having a sink that is in disrepair. All those things being said, the positives were definitely the location. Just a few steps across the access road and you are on the beach. The pier is a short walk. The pool was large and well-maintained and my kids had a fabulous time swimming in it. There are picnic tables outside the rooms and these came in very handy when relatives stopped by for a visit one of the nights. The father and daughter owners were friendly and conversational. They were very accomodating to us during our stay. Although this hotel is not what I would typically choose, it was the perfect location for visiting with local relatives, many stories were shared, new memories were made and my kids absolutely loved it. So as long as you can handle an older motel, you are bound to make great beach memories with your family while staying here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Mission_50Capitals
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampton
Crowne Plaza Hampton Marina
Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central
Candlewood Suites - Hampton
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa
Best Western Plus Holiday Sands Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn Hampton-Newport News

Been to Sans Souci Motel? Share your experiences!