“Why can't they have ice”

Candlewood Suites - Hampton
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This the first time we have stayed at a candlewood. Very friendly check in. Every thing was great until she told me there were no ice machines. We had driven all day and were tired and didn't want to go hunt ice. She told me to pop the switch to the icemaker and we would have ice in 30 minutes. We did, 4 cubes. Any way the place was clean and the bed was comfortable. They need a lot of pillow help. They were bad. We also didn't have the recliner that was supposed to be in room.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Kathy M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. We so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret the issues you had surrounding the ice, pillows and the recliner. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will address these to continually improve the quality and services we offer.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed overnight for a funeral. Staff was very welcoming. Had booked for two nights, but decided to leave for CT. after the funeral to visit family. Call and cancelled the second night before arriving, that was taken care of without any problems. In a very quite area. The hotel is not near any thing, it is in what appears to be an office complex area. A car is needed. We enjoyed out stay. Note: if you get a room where the leather chair looks like a cat has scratch it up, there is a manufacture defect, they are in the process of replacing the chairs. We had one and we notified the front desk and this is what we were told. Could not figure out why they would leave a piece of furniture in that condition in the room.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
CWSHPT, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

johnlh, thank you for your review. We apologize for the condition of the chair in your room, we are working diligently to remove them from the rooms. We appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a little over a week. My boyfriend and I were not impressed with the original hotel we had booked so we did some research and found Candlewood. We were just looking for a decent clean place to stay for a week while also being on a budget. When we walked in it was much nicer than we expected! We were so impressed. The 24 hour laundry room, gym, and small store were all very convenient. It is in a great location, secluded but not far from anything. The room was spotless and had everything needed to cook a basic meal. The TV swivels to face wherever you need which was awesome. Comes with a DVD player and movies are available to be borrowed from the front desk! I love the fact that the hotel is pet-friendly and I will definitely bring my dog next time I'm in town. The ONLY thing that I would recommend would be new pillows, as the ones in our room were lumpy and worn down. Everything else was awesome! Great deal for what you are paying. Very impressed.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
CWSHPT, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Kayley H thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We are thrilled to have provided you with such comfortable accommodations. We have recently undergone a linen changeover and it includes new pillows. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Hampton. Once again, thank you so much for your 5 star review, and I will pass your kind words on to the staff.

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

A work colleague and I had another fine stay while traveling on business. Everything worked the way it was supposed to, reservations, the room, the room coffee maker. The desk area was well designed for working on a laptop and the chair comfortable. The staff were all professionals.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

MikePsy thank you so much for your review. We are glad you had a great experience from booking to check-out. We hope to see you and your colleagues again.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

My sister and I came to Hampton, Va. for me to have proton radiation at the Hampton University Proton Institute. When I searched for a place to stay, we wanted handicap accessible, efficiency full kitchen rooms and a pet friendly place to stay for my 3-weeks of treatment. We arrived from South Carolina to be greeted by staff who were most helpful and always accommodating. If you want a "home away from home," this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the lake on the south side.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
CWSHPT, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Sarah H, thank you so much for your review! We appreciate you and your sister staying with us while here in Hampton, and we are thrilled to have provided you with such comfortable accommodations. I will pass your kind words on to the staff, and once again, thank you so much for your 5 star review!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My only regret is taking this long to review an excellent facility that had all the comforts of home and a staff that made you feel welcome at every turn.

I stayed for 12 days in December, and it was the end of a two month road trip. Every aspect of the stay was perfect. The beds were fantastic, bathrooms roomy, flat screen television swiveled towards all areas of room. The bath towels were new, fluffy, and very comfortable on your skin.

The kitchen was well equipped with dishes, cutlery, and all the utensils you actually needed to cook a meal. The full size refrigerator was also a huge plus for me.

There was an incredible amount of work space so I could easily do all of my daily paperwork while eating dinner and having my computer open all at the same time.

Unfortunately, I got a horrible respiratory infection while I was staying there, and the in room recliner was the only thing that really saved me and allowed me to spend Christmas day bundled up and reclined in a position where I could easily breath and recover.

There is free washers & dryers, a small commissary for odds and ends if needed, and the ENTIRE facility was immaculate from top to bottom.

The best part about this particular facility is the incredible staff. The GM Dana was so gracious and professional, the OM Adam ran that facility with kindness and precision, and the front desk staff like Kaylee always greeted you by name with a smile on her face.

Each day as Christmas approached Kaylee wore a different outfit themed for the holidays and her natural cheer made up for the fact I was away from friends and family (see picture).

I can tell you one thing for sure after this trip. This is the only place I would stay in the Hampton, VA region, and it has converted me to a Candlewood Suites customer from "that other brand" who can not compete in the same league of extended stay lodging.

Room Tip: There actually is no on site restaurant, only a well stocked commissary. I used the 5 stars on rest...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
CWSHPT, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

William S, first and foremost, thank you so much for taking the time to write such a descriptive review. We are thrilled we have earned your business in the Hampton Roads area, and can't wait to have you back soon. We try to aim for all the comforts of home, and create a "family feel" experience with our guests. I will pass your compliments on to the staff, and thanks again for such a wonderful review.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Although this charming place is hidden away along a tree-lined road, it is just what you need after a long day or night's up and down in this busy part of the east coast.

The people are welcoming, friendly, helpful and warm. Better than even a jaded road warrior could hope for. There is no restaurant, but the "Candlewood Cupboard" has everything you might want available on the honor system all day long. The rooms are large and fitted out with a full kitchen with all needed appliances for coffee, range top, full size refrigerator, microwave, utensils, pots, pans, etc. Prices in the C Cupboard are reasonable and you can get whatever you might desire. Restaurants are nearby, though you will need your own transportation. If not, the staff will cheerfully drop you off somewhere reasonably close by.

Love the place!!! So would anybody.

Room Tip: If you ask, they will place you close to the elevator, or adjacent to a vacant room so that you will...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
CWSHPT, Front Office Manager at Candlewood Suites - Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Mike M, thank you so much for taking the time to share your pleasurable experience with us! We appreciate your feedback, and we are ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad you found the Suite to be properly equipped to make your stay more comfortable. We hope to see you again, if you find yourself out this way, and thanks again for your review.