“Shaky Start, Sad Finish”
Review of The Greene Turtle

The Greene Turtle
Ranked #46 of 302 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Located in the outdoor shopping center off of W. Mercury Blvd in Hampton VA.
Hampton, Virginia
“Shaky Start, Sad Finish”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My husband and I wanted to try this restaurant, so we went this Sunday around 3pm. Our greeting from the young hostess was less than welcoming, more of a “hey, whatever, you’re here.” She did ask our preference of table or booth. We chose a booth and after having read other reviews from various sites, I find it interesting that we received the exact same response as a reviewer did in 3/2011, which was that when we chose a booth we were told that that they had to go clean one up for us. Seriously? It was 3pm on a Sunday with a handful of people in the place, why on earth didn’t they have a booth ready?
Anyway, the hostess said it would be about 5 minutes, offered us menus to look at and pointed out a place where we could sit down to wait. It felt like we waited at least 10 minutes for someone to wipe off a table so we could sit down. My husband and I actually agreed that if we weren’t seated in the next 5 minutes we would leave. As the hostess came to take us to our table she had more menus in her hand even though we were already looking at menus she mumbled something about not being sure if we wanted to hang on to those menus….it was just strange & she seemed to be operating on about 2 brain cells. When she sat us in the booth, the table Still had a water ring on it, so wtf were they doing that took so long that when they sat us the table was Still dirty?? Overall that initial encounter left us with very low expectations.

Keep in mind that this place is a sports bar first, & restaurant/bar second and third. That being said, pretty much every table or booth has its own flat screen so you can watch sports. Not having known this, when we were seated in our booth the TV next to me bugged the hell out of me & I felt it was a huge distraction from being able to have a conversation, but you eventually get used to it & had I known about them ahead of time I probably wouldn’t have had such a big reaction. Bear in mind we did Not go there for anything related to sports, we just wanted to try out a new restaurant.

Soon after we sat down a food runner came down the aisle looking all around and asking “mozzarella sticks?” The experience so far had me very nervous. When our server, Regina, took our drink order after she mentioned their coke products, lemonades, etc. I told her we would be getting something from the bar and my husband was reviewing the beer menu; he ordered a Summer Shandy. She comes back to inform that they were switching out their summer beers to their fall beers and didn’t have what he wanted. It would have been nice if she had told us that when she heard what he ordered; it sucked that the server didn’t inform us in advance of what beers were no longer an option even though they were still being advertised. Alternatively, I had no trouble getting their summer cocktails, which were decent.

Overall, the food is way overpriced for a chain restaurant. It’s your basic American fare and a good menu selection. I was happy to see that it wasn’t just limited bar food, but a good selection of burgers, sandwiches, salads, and a vast selection of seafood which I didn’t expect. We got the Bavarian Pretzel Sticks with queso dip which were very nice – warm, soft bread with good salt, the queso was a little spicy, but overall an unexpected good starter. My husband got the Spicy Jack Stuffed Burger, and I got the Southwest Chicken Chopped Salad. The burger was very tasty & had a delicious char taste that I loved & lots of melty cheese. It was so juicy that when my husband started biting into it, it literally rained all over his plate (we didn’t waste that either – after he was finished I still had lots of salad left so I poured those drippings all over it & it was yummy. Most sandwiches and burgers came with kettle chips; if you want fries you have to pay an extra buck – wtf? My salad was huge and pretty delicious. Portions are good, but still overpriced for the quality of food. Food was delivered very timely.

My husband actually entertained the idea of dessert and asked for the whoopee pie sliders & our genius server talked us out of them by saying they had been dry lately. As a former server, I know that a good salesperson would have just brought them to us & we could decide for ourselves if we liked them or not. Otherwise, our server was perfectly attentive & accessible; she didn’t avoid us or hover. For an appetizer of 4 pretzel sticks & queso dip, one beer, 2 cocktails, a burger & chips, and an entrée salad was almost $60 not incl. tip. Lastly, as odd as it sounds, the one thing I can absolutely Rave about is the music they had playing (no pun intended). I loved every single song they played – its current music from Rhianna, Bruno Mars, Taylor Swift, etc. I think it balanced my initial cranky mood when things started out rough, and kept me cheery throughout our time at the Greene Turtle.
Overall, I don’t think we will be back; we have a fantastic flat screen and sound system, and I can whip up yummies to eat, so honestly there’s no need to return for those high prices. We can accomplish much better at home.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ucstefi

Ohio, USA
“Just OK; bottom of the list for the places I've eaten at the Peninsula Town Center”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I ate at the Green Turtle for dinner with a group of colleagues following a full day of business meetings. We were staying in the nearby Embassy Suites and had eaten at other restaurants in the Peninsula Town Center the past two nights, and we had seen the Green Turtle on one of those visits so we decided to give it a shot. The first night we ate at Bar Louie and then at Park Lane Tavern (we had also tried Abuelo’s Mexican Food Embassy during an earlier trip). The Green Turtle was good, but not as good as these other options.

The Green Turtle is billed as a sports bar and while there were plenty of TVs arrayed around the dining area to view the current games, there really was no style to the place. It was just sort of neutral.

There is a nice variety on the menu. Maybe I just made a poor choice but I did not care for my meal. I had the mac and cheese with crab and bacon. I was worried about the bacon and with good reason; it overpowered the dish. Plus the salad that was served with the entrée was just so-so; nothing really wrong with it, but it was just a little past its prime. But in fairness, my colleagues all enjoyed their meals. Two had burgers and the other had the Thai pork tacos. I did buy an order of the crab dip for the table to share. It was also just OK in my book. I was also disappointed with the beer list.

Service was average at best. Our server was very friendly and helpful, but it seemed to take a while for drinks and food to arrive. And of course there was the wait at the end of the meal for the check.

All that said, it was still a nice meal. Nothing fancy but good. I would eat here again, but it would not be my first choice.

• Visited May 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I've been to other locations of the Green Turtle and I must say I was rather disappointed in this one.
The food was average, small portions and the menu is okay.
It's an okay place to go if you don't want to spend a lot of money and just want to hang out with friends.

Visited April 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
“Pleasantly Suprised-Group Luncheon”
Reviewed 6 April 2013

I went to the Greene Turtle for a business lunch. There were about 13 people in our group. The menu had something for everyone and had more selection than expected for a sports bar. Reasonably priced for the area, the food was good, service was good and everyone left satisfied. Would go back again.

• Visited April 2013
South China, Maine
“Not again I'm afraid”
Reviewed 5 April 2013

My wife and I wanted to try something different. If your used to good service and great food, Then you found something different. The Hostess tried to seat us in the worst seat in the place, Right in front of the entrance, When there was so many better choices. She wasn't happy we asked for different seating. The food took forever and was cold when we received it. No napkins for the starter drinks and no return after we got our food to check on us. There are so many other places to go why would I want to return..........So I won't.....

• Visited November 2012