“Unexpected Issues”

Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times before for extended periods. Usually, it is a pleasant stay with minimum concerns. This year, however, has been quite trying. An annual event took place while I was visiting. Perhaps this is a contribution factor to some of the problems that arose.

Due to the lack of communication, my vehicle was towed. Desk clerks were adamant that all guest received notification that cars not displaying a parking decal (actually, it was a typed blue sheet of paper that simply said HOTEL GUEST). However, many cars were towed. Including the desk clerk's. My car was returned the nest day damaged. I have been advised by the manager that I should pursue the towing company. And if needed, Extended Stay will be a witness for me.

The internet was out for about 3 weeks. I can't quite remember if this was before or after the fire alarm that went off and we stood outside for about an hour at 3:45am one Saturday night/Sunday morning. And coffee was a commodity that was unavailable for at least a week or more. Most amenities that had been advertised were not provided. One desk clerk shared with me, "These things are offered for free."

Employees tried diligently to correct these matters, but lack of supervision was evident. George, the hotel manager, had taken vacation during one of the most chaotic times in the city. I am not sure if things would have improved if he had been onsite based on my observations. Guests are often seen in the lobby and hallways in pajamas, without shoes or shirts. When I mentioned this to him, the response was, "Some people treat this as their home."

I love visiting this city and this hotel is located in the center of everything. I am attributing this past experience as one to grow on. After all, it could have been worse.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Diane W
Management response:Responded 11 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Hampton - Coliseum. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologiesI do appreciate the time you took to detail your past stay with us, and am sorry you had such a negative experience. I am pleased to inform you that this hotel is now under new management. Thanks to our current staff, revised training standards, and hotel upgrades, we now achieve an outstanding level of guest satisfaction. I do hope you will let us show you just how much this hotel has changed, now that it is under new management, the next time you need accommodations in the area.

Although it is unusual for a guest to have the experience you did while staying with us, we would like to use your account to help us make our hotel even better. Again, I am deeply sorry that you did not have a completely enjoyable stay at our hotel, and I promise that we are focused on total guest satisfaction every day. The towing incident was an unfortunate situation and was handled the best way possible by hotel management. Thank you for bringing the coffee and internet situation to our attention. These issues have been corrected. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me at this hotel or to our guest relations team directly by visiting our website and clicking the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope that you will let me demonstrate our redoubled efforts in the future here or at any of Extended Stay Hotels(sm)' other locations throughout the U.S. and in Canada.

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Was looking for a Suites hotel with Refrigerator and Microwave close to the Hampton Roads Convention Center. This is an extended stay hotel at a low price point. You pay a touch more for the small extras but to be able to have a Refrigerator was great. There are competitive low price point hotels all about but this seems to be the only one this close at this price point. Close to the Convention Center and all kinds of shopping needs including Target, WalMart, McDonalds, Convenience Stores and 24 hour drug stores.

It's not perfect. Only 2 sets of dishes and utensils so you are constantly washing dishes, no dishwasher. Old style tube TV and simple Clock Radio.

There is a clothes washer on site.

This is a simple cost effective location.

To give you a measure of value...The Embassy Suites was nearly 4x the price during the week and over 2x on the weekend for this event.

Room Tip: Only one elevator that is in the front lobby. Front parking fills early. 3 other entrances but onl...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Gary H
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America Hampton - Coliseum. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for the recognition.

Our hotels are currently upgrading our televisions to flat panel televisions! We also keep additional dishes and utensils at the front desk, should you ever need more. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

George the hotel manager has been wonderful to our company. We have had employees staying here for months and months while working out of town. We sure do appriciate the great rates in this difficult economy!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Miller,

It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Hampton - Coliseum. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is a great place to stay! The customer service is very good. They make you feel like your at home.

• Stayed: May 2012

Thank you so very much for your review of Extended Stay America Hampton - Coliseum. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I had to stay in this hotel due to travelling on short notice. I wish I had read TripAdvisor first. When I checked in the gentleman at the front desk took at least a minute to acknowledge me. It was as though I was interrupting him surfing the internet or doing homework. Once he acknowledged me, he was pleasant and friendly. The hotel definitely "no frills" and you shouldn't expect any amenities. The lobby was filthy; I didn’t even want to touch the counter on the reception desk. They have no snack or soda vending machines. No bottled water. I tried to remain open minded – but then I got to my room. The furnishings are very dated, the bedding is atrocious (paper thin sheets, lumpy pillows, bedspreads that didn’t look like they were washed between guests). The bed was hard as a rock, I probably would have been better sleeping on asphalt. There is no closet in the room; just wire racks in a corner that I assume are for hanging clothes on – except there are no clothes hangers in the room. The ironing board cover is stained and burned. The iron ruined my business pants by spitting white stuff out on them. The hotel literally stinks. I am on a non-smoking floor but all I can smell down the hallway is cigarettes.

Room cleaning is not included in your stay. They clean the rooms once a week, if you stay longer than a week. You only get clean towels if you take your dirty towels down to the front desk. If you need toilet paper or tissue – you need to go get it from the front desk. I have never stayed in a hotel that does business this way!

I was supposed to stay for three weeks and two days – but checked out after two days. There’s no way I could have stayed there for more than two nights. I literally feared for my life after seeing some of the people coming in and out of the place.

FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO STAY. Even if you are desperate.

There is ONE plus! Their wireless internet was fast and reliable!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank CityGirlAZ
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I have been living the hotels for about 6 years now and i have never had the best hotel experince like this before the staff is the best and the hotel is immaculate.Thank You for allowing such great people to come my way . Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I have been a pretty regular extended stay customer during my travels. I have stayed at the Hampton ESA twice during March 2012 and will not stay here again. I prefer basic services such as clean sheets and bathrooms and this last room was marginal at best. I travel a lot and stay at many hotels and this one just doesn't make the grade. If you are desperate this may suffice. The bathtub had human hairs and was obviously not cleaned. The sheets were paper thin and very wrinkled and I am not sure they were if they had been changed since the previous tenant. The plus is each rooms have a kitchenette. It is a mixed bag about how the kitchen is furnished. My first room had enough untensils for two people. The most recent room had spoons and butter knives but no forks. If you like TV to relax you may enjoy the 1960's vintage TVs in the rooms. The remote in the first room worked and the second room only partially worked. Both times duing my stay I strongly suspected the presence of some working girls and their men, although it was pretty low key. Don't plan on staying here again. There are nicer hotels in Hampton for the same money.

Room Tip: If you are desperate this may suffice. Stayed here twice this month. The bathtub had human hairs a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jay J
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Hampton - Coliseum. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.