“Good value, but non-smokers beware!”

Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum
Ranked #12 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Our family stayed together at this modest, bargain hotel from May 8-11 for the Hampton University commencement exercises and a special family event. This was my first experience with the Extended Stay America chain and I enjoyed the "Welcome Mat" photo on arrival, bright colors in the lobby and the friendly, diverse staff. The location was convenient and safe, though it is a bit hidden behind Coliseum Ave. The price was certainly right (less than $100/night) and all the basics were there for the room I shared with my sister (including a kitchenette).

But, the common spaces (elevator, stairwell, hallways) left a lot to be desired. The hallways were alternatively way too cold from hyper air conditioning to way too smoke-filled from the smoking floor above. Beware of those bringing in their (often very big) pets from walks on the stairwells if you have allergies. The management apologized, but seemed powerless to make any accommodation about the smoke. Also, there is no gym or restaurant and the limited items in the breakfast bar go fast. I would recommend this hotel for a quick stay if you're on the road, but for vacation, I'd try other chains nearby. For a few more dollars I think non-smokers would be more comfortable and healthy elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay far away from the elevator and the stairwell for the best protection from noise and smoke.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank plspom

Reviewed 18 February 2014

It was a great hotel for the price, It was my first time at an extended stay; I stayed 5 nights and didn't encounter any problems. Only thing i would of liked is a hair dryer in the bathroom. The kitchen was perfect size. I like that the windows open to let cool breeze in. I would probably stay here again

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Stina89c
Reviewed 8 February 2014

There is a lady at the front office who wears blue contacts who was the most disrespectful person that I had met in my life. What kind of an establishment allows somebody as rude and negative as her work the front counter? I caught her rolling her eyes several times when we asked her questions. She was even flirting with a man in the lobby when we walked in! Totally unprofessional. The rooms were great for what you pay for, but that woman will surely stop me and my peers from ever getting a room there again!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel over 36 times and I can say for location non smoking rooms are top quality only other hotels in area with better rooms are Marriott and embassy ....maybe quality inn but I can say its another story when it comes to smoking rooms they are not as well kept. If booking ahead go with nonsmoking to prevent disappointment or if u r a smoker may want to ask to look at room first ! Other than that I love staying here when I have to be in hampton and they send u coupons regularly for $15 off or 20% off so I usually only pay $48 after tax and I'm not AAA or military

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank OFONLYFOR1NITE
Reviewed 5 November 2013

So to start out with the hotel staff was rude from the moment we walked in. When we went to pay they told us our price was over $80 more than it was supposed to be, we tried to tell them this, but the lady kept telling us "Oh.. well its this new price." she wouldn't listen to us and told us we had to get the email with the actual price and to do so we had to go ahead and pay so they would give us the wifi code so we could get it.

After paying way more than we were supposed to we went up to our room and tried to pull up the email on my laptop and they had given us the wrong code. I went back downstairs and a different lady was there and told us that they had changed the password and would call us with the new one when she had a chance because she had a customer. Reasonable so I went back up the room to wait. We waited over four hours without a call so we went back down and got the correct password with no hassle, pulled up the email, and showed them only to find out that the manager had left in the time period of the four hours we were waiting for them to call us and we would have to come back tomorrow.

The next day we took the email down and talked to the manager and she said they could correct it because the price from their official website was lower than the price they were getting, but they wouldn't be able to refund it until we checked out and onto the card despite paying for half of it in cash.

The whole thing was ridiculous and made everyone go over budget, nearly ruining the trip as we were scrapping together money just to eat the next day.

Now you want to know about the room? The door frames had rust all over them, the plumbing in the toilet was horrible so it was really load and actually jumped whenever you flushed it, the "fully stocked" kitchen had two of the basics (plates, forks, cups, ect) and since there were four of us we had to go out and buy paper plates and plastic forks, the table had one chair and they even admitted that it was supposed to have two but there wasn't anything they were going to do about it, and you couldn't sit on the edge of the bed without it flipping over, not to mention they were hard as a rock. Overall this hotel was horrible and we will not be back.

Go somewhere else, there is a Red Roof, Comfort Inn, Days Inn, and several other better hotels right down the road that are nicer and cheaper than what they tried to charge us. Save yourself the headache.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ashley D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Hampton - Coliseum, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Ashley - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the billing issues you experienced at check-in and throughout your stay. I can assure you that I have reviewed our policies with the entire team so that they are better able to handle situations like yours in the future. As well, I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations. In response, I am working with the staff to improve our offerings for guests to enjoy moving forward.

Once again I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with us. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at col@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

The hotel did not appear to be full judging by the parking lot. We were given a room that looked like it was halfway through a renovation done by first graders. The vent fan over the oven was totally rusted. The sink dripped so badly we turned off the water under the sink. The toilet began to run in the middle of the night after use - so we fiddle with plumbing in the middle of the night. When the issue was brought to the front desk staff - received nothing but a blank stare. Asked for manager to call us never heard a word. Had only booked a 1 night stay thankfully but our credit card was charged 3 times! Again called hotel asking to speak to manager was promised a call back. Still waiting... is 3 weeks too long to wait for a call back.....?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank M B
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I'm local to the area but wanted to stay somewhere close to all of the restaurants that were showing the Mayweather fight so that we would be within walking distance just in case the drinking got out of hand. I booked the room late evening and went to check in immediately. Front desk attendant (Toni was her name I believe) was great and made check in quick and easy. We had a non-smoking room (entire floor seemed to be a non smoking floor according to the signs outside of the doors) but the entire hallway smelled like smoke...no biggy though, once we got inside of our room the smell disappeared. Room was clean, had a little kitchen with a full fridge, a two isle stove, a sink, microwave, toaster, and coffee maker. There were dishes as well but I don't recall seeing pots and pans, I didn't have a need to use them so I may have overlooked them. Room was spacious and clean, had a queen bed, and a flat screen tv. Bathroom door swung outward which was a little awkward but bathroom was decent. There were still some hairs on the sink area where a previous guest may have shaved but other than that it seemed pretty clean. The bed was pretty comfortable with plenty of pillows. Didnt get a chance to experience the grab and go breakfast but check out was quick and easy. No real complaints and definitely got this room for a great price.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family