“Very clean beach, not too busy”

Buckroe Beach and Park
Ranked #3 of 29 things to do in Hampton
Memphis, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very clean beach, not too busy”
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I took my 4 year old here after being rained out at Virginia Beach two days earlier and I was pleasantly surprised at how clean it actually was. It wasn't too crowded on the beach (the park was crowded because it was Sunday and I heard they have concerts they). The playground is also nice. Its just beach though sonot for those wanting to be in the mix of things. Loved it and would definitely go back if I'm in the area.

Newark, Delaware
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great beach for everyone!!”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Unlike the previous narrow-minded post where the gentleman stated that if your not black don't go to Buckroe Beach. As an African-American, I saw nothing but diversity when I went over the Labor Day weekend. It is free, and the tide wasn't rough!!! Quite peaceful and not overly crowded. Great if you are looking to get away from the crowds at Virginia Beach. Nice find!!!

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Chrystal74
Nashville, Tennessee
108 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Great Beach”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I was skeptical going to this beach after I read the reviews, but it wasn't far from the hotel I was staying at and I've been to VA Beach before and found it to be very crowded. I figured if the beach wasn't what I thought it was going to be I could always leave. This beach is really nice. It's free, parking is free, it's a mile or two down the road from Walgreens, etc. There were a lot of people visiting as it was a Saturday. I felt safe, the beach has lifeguards and it was a fun place to people watch. It's a great alternative to VA Beach.

Tennessee
227 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 423 helpful votes
“Clean, Quiet, Safe, & Free”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This is a great beach alternative to going to Virginia Beach and fighting the crowds/parking. At Buckroe Beach, there is ample parking and it is free. The beach has always been clean when I've been there. The lifeguards do an excellent job at keeping an eye on everything, which adds to a "safe" feeling while at the beach. There are restrooms, but I never used them so I cannot comment. There are no restaurants or major attractions like that - this is more of a beach for families or solo travelers to go for a quieter getaway. If you are seeking the loud action-packed boardwalk atmosphere, you won't be satisfied with Buckroe Beach. If you're looking for a peaceful day getting sun, in the clean sand, by the water, away from crowds....go to Buckroe!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank TNharleychick
Delanco, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“local beach flavor”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

On a quest for an out-of-the-way beach we'd never been, I zoomed in on a map and found Buckroe Beach and Park in Hampton, VA. My husband and I made an adventure out of investigating it further and found that it wasn't bad - just not quite the experience we left New Jersey for. The beach was clean, there were lifeguards available and the parking was free as well. On the Sunday we visited, it seemed more of a young people's pick up place. There were also numerous family reunions going on and the music was bumpin. This is all good, but it simply did not make for the sort of relaxation setting we had in mind. The area surrounding appeared purely residential. There was no boardwalk or restaurants around as far as we could see. The feel was local/neighborhood beach hangout. I could be mistaken about no restaurants, however. If there were, that would give this beach an even broader appeal. That being said, we checked out of our hotel and headed on down to Virginia Beach. In short, this beach is okay, but it didn't suit what we like in a beach getaway.

1 Thank Pam H