“Where the masses come to stay!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I was stunned by my experience at this hotel, especially since it is ranked so high on TripAdvisor. I started my four day stay with a 5 star rating that by the morning of my four day, have dropped to 2.

If you plan on holding a convention, large gathering or just host a large groups of kids, (which I think what happened during my stay), this place is for you. This location serves to the masses. On our stay, the fully booked hotel appeared to easily have half of its capacity with high school age kids.

In short it took two requests for hotel services to resolve every problem. From clogged sinks to our room not being made up; each time I had to speak to hotel management twice to get something resolved. Based on how they assigned rooms, if I wasn't able to acquire the 10th floor through my benefits of being a Hilton Honors Gold Member, I feel my experience would have been much worse. Even though the 10th floor was deemed a 'Premium Floor' it appeared it didn't matter who they put there as the hotel was at full to capacity.

When we ask to have our room made up, (a second time), we only received a bag left on our door containing towels. (During my second request I stressed to management we had no towels available). Leaving this on the door, someone placed an empty Coke can in the bag as if it was garbage. I took the bag down to the front desk and requested to speak to the manager. Upon explaining to him the situation his response was to blame a guest. With the bag being left outside our room, we could only imagine what else could have been left within the contents “by others” that we would not have been aware of, thus we did not use them. Why create such a risk for guests and just put the bag inside the room?

This establishment is by NO means family or business friendly unless you are staying with the masses. There's even a 1% EDA Fund-Cultural Athletic Tax that is defined to support tourism in the Hampton / Newport News area added to your already high 14% tax. I would have thought with just me staying here supported tourism? Now I’m being taxed for it! Sounds like ‘double-dipping’ to me. I’ll pass on both this location and staying in the Newport News area again.

Room Tip: Highest floor a must. Ten story building. Keep in mind, most rooms, (if not all) are double beds...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear HareWeGo,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We do serve both to the individual and to the masses depending on what is going on in the local area driving demand for lodging. We were disappointed to learn that you did not find our service to be quick in resolutions which is what we strive for. We will share this with our team members. I would like to know if there was a Do Not Disturb sign on your door in regards to the towel bag so that we may include that in our discussion with our housekeeping team, and look at some of our procedures for that to better serve our guests. If you would like to provide any more information or further discuss your experience please contact me at PHFCC_GM@hilton.com. Thank you again for your feedback which we will use to improve our service.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,211)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Family and I arrived (4 total) planning to spend four nights. Went to room and found the smallest beds I've ever seen in a hotel. When they say "double beds", I'm not sure what two people would comfortably fit. The beds were no more than 4' wide! Went back to front desk, where I was told all their rooms with 2 beds had "doubles". They eventually switched us to a nearby Hilton Garden. I spent 50 minutes on the phone with Hilton convincing them to give me a second room to compensate for the loss of a suite and to give breakfast vouchers for all days to make up for no free breakfast at Embassy. We missed out on spending time together in one room.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank kckiss
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear kckiss,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We were disappointed to learn that our accomodations were unable to provide you with what you were looking for as a family. We do have two bed sizes in our guestrooms, a single king bed or two double beds in the standard double bed size. We also offer a pull out sofa in the living area of the suite to accomodate additional guests. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you were able to enjoy your visit to Hampton, Virginia.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This guest was not told there would be a Bernese Mountain Dog Convention with hundreds of dogs running around the lobby, jumping on guests, smelling up the hallway, barking in the night, and disrupting the entire experience. I do like dogs -- however, being at this hotel on business every entrance and exit from the hotel was threatened by my business attire being ruined. The hotel should have informed its guests of this event, and I certainly would have stayed elsewhere if I knew there would be hundreds of dogs. I certainly did not receive the value I anticipated in the "Premium Suite" when the entire hallway smelled of Mountain Dogs and seeped into the room, not to mention the noise and slobber associated with a congregation of canines. Please, Hilton and Embassy Suites, keep your guests informed of events like this. It's not terribly hard to do so and they will respect your candor and honesty.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Andrew S,

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and we have learned a lot from hosting this group. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Hampton Roads Embassy Suites provided another positive experience with this hotel chain. Great beds, great breakfast, great happy hour! My only complaint is that the last Embassy Suites I stayed at had nicer appetizers in the evening. So, I was a bit disappointed with chips & a vegie tray but only due to a previous stellar experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Kathy B,

Thank you for your positive review! It was nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the amenities we offer. For our evening reception we do provide light snacks in accordance with our brand standard and offer appetizers available for purchase through our in-house restaurant. We thank you again for your review and patronage of the Embassy Suites brand and hope to see you again soon for your next visit!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Overall, this was a great place to stay--the rooms were spacious and clean, and the beds were very comfortable. The staff bent over backwards to help with anything that came up. Breakfast was a little slow, but very good. The managers reception was ok...the drinks were great but the appetizers were dismal. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Ron D,

Thank you for your positive review! We were pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay especially that you found our staff to be helpful and accomodating. We will share your feedback regarding breakfast and the evening reception with our food and beverage team. Thanks again and we hope to see you soon for your next stay!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Holy Yikes -- worst front desk staff ever (apologies to the few good ones). I had a project to complete for the group I was with and the night staff I had to deal with was absolutely awful -- shocking that in the hospitality industry such people were even allowed to speak with the public! Nice hotel, good management, nice rooms, great breakfast but hard to overcome the consistently unfortunate experiences with some of the staff over the week.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mary-Ann B

Dear Mary-Ann B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It was nice to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay at the Embassy Suites Hampton Roads. I am glad we were able to discuss your experience with our night staff yesterday morning and hope that you choose to visit us again for your next stay in Hampton. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Was here for a dog speciality. Hotel full and very busy not only with two legged guests but four legged as we'll. for the first time hosting a dog show staff was cool as cucumbers. Everyone from maintenance, housekeeping, food service and front desk a smile on their face and good service in their sole. Kudos!!!!i have stayed in and toured many hotels this one was first class all the way!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
EmbassyHampton, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hampton Hotel Convention Center & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Cindy S,

Thank you for your positive review! It was so nice to hear you had a first class experience while staying for the dog show this past week. We'll be sure to share your nice comments with our team members. Thanks again for your review and we hope to see you again the next time you visit the Hampton Roads area!