“Good clean hotel but there are cheaper options nearby”

Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I have stayed in a number of hotels in the Hampton and Newport News area. I picked this hotel, which cost a bit more than some very comparable hotels, because it had an indoor pool and hot tub. There are several hotels nearby that cost less with an indoor pool, but none with a hot tub.

I was disappointed to find the hot tub out of service when I stayed at the hotel. The reason I chose this hotel over the others, and paid a few bucks more, was so I could enjoy the hot tub. I guess there can always be maintenance issues at any hotel on any given day, but if I knew that the hot tub was out of service, I would have probably picked another hotel.

The hotel was clean and the room was modern and spacious. And it has a convenient location (although some other hotels are closer to the Town Center complex. I just wish the hot tub was working.

Also, they don't have any soda machines. And the lobby shop was completely sold out of soda when I arrived. A small matter, but I would prefer to pay a bit extra for a soda from the vending machine rather than have to drive down the street to the convenience store.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Christi_Moran, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. I apologize for the issues with the hot tub and pantry area. I am pleased to report that both problems have been corrected and will meet your expectiations next time you are in the area.
Thanks for staying with Hilton Garden Inn!

Reviewed 2 September 2012 via mobile

We are currently staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Hampton, Va. Housekeeping did a poor job in cleaning our room on Saturday, September 1, 2012. On Sunday, September 2, 2012, asked, "if housekeeping could atleast vacuum our room." After returning from breakfast, we had a musty odor in the bathroom. We called the front desk and there was no answer. We then called an outside line from our cellphones and requested for housekeeping to clean the bathrooms and more towels. The housekeeper came to our room and yelled, "she had cleaned the room and will not clean the room, again." A few minutes later, the same lady busted into the room, sprayed something on the floor used a hand towel and said, there! I asked for extra towels, she replied, "you are in a King room and you are only allotted two towels" and slammed the door. This was such an unprofessional encounter. I spoked with the Lead Housekeeper and she apologized, for the housekeeper unprofessionalism and had her bring up extra towels. The housekeeper banged on the door and handed my husband extra towels.

Earlier that day, my husband went down for breakfast, he waited forever to be seated. After being seated, he observed someone cleaning silverware in a pitcher of water behind the bar and wrapping the silverware in napkins. He decided to eat elsewhere.

We don't check out until tomorrow and hopefully, we will be able to speak with a manager, before leaving.

• Stayed: September 2012
Christi_Moran, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. Please accept my apologies once again for the difficulties you encountered with our housekeeping staff. I am glad that we were able to resolve the matter to your satisfaction at checkout, however it is unfortunate that you were inconvenienced in the first place.

Rest assured, our restaurant has an industrial dish washer in which all food equipment is properly cleaned and sanitized. It is regrettable that the appearance of our server rolling silverware settings gave you a different impression. The pitcher your husband noted was being used to hold clean utensils as they awaited preparation for service. I have spoken with my Restaurant Manager and she has already purchased a different storage container for silverware in an effort to avoid this misconception in the future.

I appreciate you taking time to share your experience. At the Hilton Garden Inn we always strive to exceed the expectations of our guests. Feedback of any type helps us fine tune our efforts and helps us provide a top notch experience to our valued guests.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

This hotel is in a great location and is relatively new ( 5 years I think). That said, it seems to be poorly manageed. The treadmills in the fitness center are in terrible condition with TVs not functioning and the motors seem to be just about worn out. The restaurant service is terrible and the food is just OK. Since there are so many other choices in this area, look elsewhere if a good quality fitness center and decent food and service are important to you.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2012

In all my years of travel have I encountered a property such as this, and that's too bad as I expected the HGI Hampton to live up to the standards of the chain. This one, in my opinion, clearly does not.

The room: It's unusual to find a hotel that did not take sound transmission into mind in the design. For hours on end, I heard - clearly - every conversation, every phone call, every opening of a beverage can, every television show, every dalliance, of the room next door. Not that I know this for sure, but I would bet that if you were to investigate the construction you would find walls made of drywall, steel posts, and no insulation. (And it wasn't just my room or my ears - several others confirmed same when I enquired with them in the hallway or elevator.)

And that raises another point - the hallway doors transmitted sound just as well -- careful on your phone calls because they are just as loud outside the room as in.

The restaurant: the restaurant is in sad need of some serious TLC. The seats, benches, and chairs are terribly, terribly worn and assuredly are a good way to lose your appetite.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 August 2012

First of all, I have to commend the Hilton Garden Inn staff for their graciousness. Myself and my family stayed at this hotel July 27 -31st for the AAU National basketball championship held at the nearby Boo Williams sports complex. The location was wonderful: close to every yummy restaurant, both sit down and fast-food. Good shopping options are nearby as well.
The front desk staff was awesome. I wish I could remember names to give them personal shout outs, but I am horrible at remembering names. There were always friendly. Let me tell you that this hotel was packed to the brim with basketball players from up and down the east coast, as well as their family members. Despite that minor chaos, the staff was great, and as attentive as they could be under the circumstances. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and nicely decorated. The cooked to order breakfast was good, but the service was a little slow. This had to be based on understaffing. My last morning there, the waitress came over to me with a straight face after I placed my order for an omelet and informed me her manager told her to tell me it would be a 30 minute wait because there were at least 10 orders in front of me. Luckily I had time to waste, so I sipped my coffee and waited for my omelet. 30 minutes for some eggs!??? Really?!!??? That is my only complaint. The bartender in the evening was friendly and attentive. The furniture in the lobby area was comfy and inviting. Myself and the parents of my son’s team spent a lot of time in the lobby, talking, laughing and watching the Summer Olympics. The hotel staff was gracious our entire stay.
One thing I wish the hotel offered was 24 hour coffee service. When breakfast is over, they pack the coffee up so quickly, you would have never known it was ever there. It would be nice if they left the coffee station out all day. I appreciate a nice cup of coffee, and I don’t like using the coffee makers in the rooms. But I guess if I want coffee that badly, there is always Starbucks.
I am very particular about where I lay my head, in regards to hotels, and this hotel made me feel comfortable. It was clean, nicely decorated, with nice modern touches.
The Southern Maryland Flyers will most definitely be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Coliseum next year. I just hope it doesn’t take 30 minutes for eggs!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Misha M
Christi_Moran, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Ms. Misha:

Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write such a detailed account of your July stay with us! We greatly appreciate the Boo Williams Sports Complex for all of the wonderful tournaments they host, as well as all of the parents; such as yourself! I hope you and your family enjoyed the time you spent in Hampton and hope you placed well in the tournaments!

I have reviewed your comments with the entire staff. Now that we are finished with the tournament season, it is time to sit back and reflect. What did we do well? What can we do better for next year? Your comments will definitely help us devise our plan.

We welcome the Souther Maryland Flyers back with open arms!

Should you need to make group reservations, please do not hesitate to contact us directly and we can go ahead and block those rooms off for your now!

Thank you very much for your kindness as well as your business.

Both are very much appreciated!

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

I love staying here on the way to the beach. Clean rooms great beds and I sleep like a baby here. Secure parking close to highway and restaraunts. Looked hard but can't find one negative. For a few dollars more than bargin chains you get much more than expected

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Otter421
Christi_Moran, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Hello Otter421!

First of all, I would like to give a BIG THANK YOU for your repeat business! Second of all I want to give you a BIG HUG for the great review! Our team takes great pride in the service we provide, it makes us very happy to know we have exceeded your expectations. We may be your favorite hotel, but you are now one of our favorite guests!

Thank you again and we want to see you back next year on your way to the beach. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to make your reservations. I will make sure you receive the great service you have come to rely on from us. It would be an honor to make your acquaintance.

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Have stayed here several different times. Nice clean rooms. Clean lobby, hallways, and common areas. Well lit parking area. Don't care for the breakfast set up and taste of some items. Sleep number mattress. Quiet. Can count on getting a good sleep. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Christi_Moran, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Hampton Coliseum Central, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Dear Jim S:

Thank you for your posting and even more so, THANK YOU for your repeat business! You can always count on us for all of those things; clean room, friendly and attentive staff, reservation accuracy, comfortable furnishings, and everything in working order! We are very happy you have recommeneded us and look forward to seeing you again on your return visit!

If you should ever have any trouble making a reservation into our hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me directly!

757.637.7360 direct dial extention