“Horrible beds!”

SpringHill Suites Hampton
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My in laws stayed in this hotel recently and were not at all impressed. The room was clean and the front desk staff were friendly and accommodating. However, they said the beds were HORRIBLE! They woke up in pain all through the night due to how uncomfortable they were.They had to place 3 calls to the manager before they got a response from her. When she did call she proceeded to tell them how wonderful the beds are and that she had never gotten a complaint about them before. The lady staying in the room next door to my family told them it was the most horrible bed she had ever slept in also. For the price of the hotel, I don't believe the quality of the bedding meets the standards of the price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stay dates: June 9-13.
I have to say the service at the front desk of this hotel was excellent. My flight was delayed both in Dallas and Atlanta on my way to Newport News. I spoke with a gentleman named Anthony twice and he assured me they would wait for my arrival. When I finally did get to the hotel, he was very helpful regarding local restaurants and suggested some that would deliver, since I was so tired. Througout my visit, the desk clerks were very personable, but the one who went out of his way to help was Anthony.
The hotel was very easy to find and the area was pretty and conveniently located.The breakfasts were nice and accomodating to most diets.
The room was okay. My alarm clock didn't work and there were cracked tiles in the shower/bath. One little quirk to that particular bathroom is that the toilet paper holder is pretty far away from the toilet. (Simple fix--I just removed it and placed in on the rail of the bathtub!) Upon arrival I did not have a channel guide and asked for one the following day, but never received one. I also didn't have regular coffee in the room the first night, only decaffeinated. The room was fairly clean; the lobby and breakfast areas were immaculate.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have my grandchildren with me and find many activities to do. They love the breakfast! The breakfast staff was very nice and the food is great! Love the turkey sausage. If you are here, you are of everything for a family! Had a great holiday

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at this property 6/6 thru 6/8. We were in room 215. There was a large rip in the sofa pillow, the white cotton showing. We killed 7 bugs the first night and3 the next morning and 4 the second night. No towels, washcloths were in the room when we checked in at 8:pm. No clock/alarm radio. Reported it to the desk. The attendant brought 1 small bar of soap, some dish towels one bath towel, no wash cloths until we went to the desk. They gave us 2 wash cloths. We were told that the radio was not their problem, engineering had to see to that. We also wrote all of this down with our name and contact info and gave it to the front desk for the manager. No one responded in any way. No one even attempted to talk to us or try to offer any other assistance. I am a Marriott Reward customer. This is the worst visit that I ever experienced at a Marriott Facility. I don't know if I ever will stay at Marriott again. Someone could have at least talked to us about this. There has been no response at all.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Charles H
Teresa S, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Hampton, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Hi Mr. Charles H, We are sorry to hear this. We'd like to look into it for you. Would you be able to contact the hotel directly so I can further talk to you about your past stay? Kind Regards, Teresa

Reviewed 10 June 2014

As a frequent business/pleasure traveler, I have stayed in a number of 1 to 5-star hotels in the US and abroad. At one point, I practically lived in the Boston Harbor Hotel in Boston for 6 months. In comparison to other hotels I've stayed in, this one falls into the lower ranks.

I attended my Nephew's graduation at Hampton University over the weekend. Due to its proximity to the school, being practically next door to Bass Pro Shops, and distance to Newport News (where my sister lives), I decided to stay here. After a 9 hour drive from NYC, we arrived at the hotel around 8:30 pm.

DISCLAIMER: I recently had 2 knee surgeries, so I requested an ADA room for the bathroom grab bars and shower seat. This review is based on that room only.

PROS:
-Good proximity to Hampton University, downtown area and shops. Close to freeways and highways.
-Front desk staff was very pleasant, both at check-in and with subsequent phone calls.
-Maintenance person was very helpful.
-Housekeeping person was very helpful.
-Easy check-in/check-out experience.
-No bed bugs

CONS:
-No luggage carts in entrance/vestibule area. Maintenance person tried finding one after I suggested they may be located outside the elevators on each floor. While he was off on a treasure hunt, my son, daughter, and I waited in the lobby. After about 15 minutes, my 9 YO, who was exhausted, suggested we carry the 6 pieces of luggage to the room, which we did. Maintenance never found a luggage cart. During our stay and at departure, we never saw a luggage cart. Maintenance suggested some guests may have the luggage carts in their room, which is plausible, but why would someone purposely want to reduce the square footage in their room? If they have luggage carts, I suggest they install GPS on them or at minimum, tag them with a "Please return to the lobby" sign.

-Non-working light switches. Upon entering the room, I flipped on the first 2 light switches in the foyer/entrance area; neither worked. I scoured the room for about 10 minutes, looking for a "master" switch (you know, the one that, once it goes on, allows lamps/lights to be turned on/off), which some hotels have. Not the case here. I called Maintenance, who discovered one light was missing a bulb and the other had a blown bulb. They promptly fixed it.

-Non-Working telephone. As an ADA room, there are 3 telephones in the room. 1 in the bathroom, 1 on the night stand, and 1 on the work desk. Well, when I discovered the 2 lights weren't working, I tried calling maintenance from the phone on the work desk. Guess what? It wasn't working. At first I was going to let this go, but when maintenance tried calling the front desk to procure me an ironing board cover (see below), they saw it wasn't working either.

-Non-working floor lamp. In addition to the 2 non-working lights, the floor lam, which provided the majority of the bedroom portion lighting was working either. I relayed this to maintenance who got it to work by "finagling" it. Afterwards, except for the power switch, I tried my best not to touch it.

-No Ironing board cover. As mentioned, I was in town for my Nephew's graduation, so I had a suit, dress clothes for my son, and a dress for my daughter to press. I wanted to get this out of the way that night, so I wouldn't have to worry about it the next day. To my surprise, there was no cover on the full-size ironing board. Another call to the front desk. Shortly afterwards, Housekeeping arrived with an ironing board cover. I tried putting it on (the maintenance guy helped) and lo and behold, it doesn't fit. Seems they gave me a cover for a 1/2 size ironing board. After yet another call to the Front Desk, Housekeeping came back with a full-size cover and asked me to try it (Wait, isn't that your job?). This time it fit.

-Broken Vents on the A/C – See pics.

-Stained/Dirty Carpet - Have pictures to prove this also. I only took my socks off in the bathroom. I was scared of getting some sort of foot infection from the carpet.

-Staple embedded in the Carpet - My son got pricked by something in the carpet. After 10 minutes of searching for it, I found a staple (with one end sticking up) embedded it in the carpet. I spent another few minutes getting it out, to avoid my kids getting pricked and possibly getting a foot infection.

-Bent Sliding Door Railing frame/Closet - The frame on the sliding door of the closet was bent. This made it hard to open/close the door. My kids couldn't do it, so I had to open/close the door every time they needed something in the closet.

-HVAC Access Panel in ceiling falling down – The HVAC access panel is located in the ceiling above the shower. Upon returning to the room on Saturday night, we noticed it was sitting on the ADA chair which I left outside the shower. It looks like it fell down while housekeeping was in the room and they either a) tried unsuccessfully to put it back or b) just left it on the chair. Either way, I spent 10 minutes putting it back in place Saturday night only to have it fall down after I took a shower on Sunday. Good thing it did not fall on my head while in the shower or they’d be hearing from my attorney.

-No non-slip mat/strips in the shower – As previously mentioned, I recently had 2 knee surgeries (replacement/revision). It would have been re-assuring to have a non-slip mat or strips in the shower. Had I slipped I would have had to rely on the grab bars to break my fall, but I may have still re-injured my knee (and they’d be hearing from my attorney again).

Apologies for the long review as I don’t usually write them. In this case, I felt compelled to alert anyone else who plans to stay at this hotel. As previously mentioned, this review is based solely on the ADA room I stayed in and is not necessarily indicative of the other rooms in the hotel. If this is an isolated case, I urge management to pay attention to the details in the ADA room/s. The safety of your disabled (and able-bodied) guests should be a top priority. I did not feel safe in this room. Although my kids and I made it through unscathed and we have no plans to sue, I can’t say the same for your future guests. Since my sister lives in Newport News, I plan to visit the area again; however I highly doubt I will be staying in this hotel again.

Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: The front faces another hotel and main street. The back faces houses. If you want a view , request a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MatWil
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Springhill Suites for a baseball tournament over Memorial Day. The room was very clean and comfortable. We tried to squeeze 2 adults and 2 teenagers in a room with a king and pullout. Pullout was too unfortable for that to work out but we made due. Breakfast was good and well stocked for the weekend. Staff was exceptional and quick to help out with any request.

I would stay there again, close to BassPro and a dozen or so quality restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The rooms were dirty, the curtains,the furniture,the walls all were in horrible shape? Wish they would listen to the reviews and clean this hotel. I would like for the GM to contact me. I have some very disturbing photos of this hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, please read before booking.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family