“Depressing motel” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Endwell, New York
“Depressing motel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Location is very convenient; near several eateries, the mall, grocery and gas. Price was very low. The clerk at check in (David) was friendly and talkative. He offered an updated interior room, which was fine. I originally wanted an exterior room for fresh-air and mountain view purposes, but was informed that these rooms were very old and not nice. The interior room was okay, but there was no view and it was depressing; we had to hold down the flusher to get the toilet to flush and there were several black hairs in the bathtub. Otherwise clean; microwave and fridge worked great and TV was updated and new with many channels. Wi-fi was strong and outstanding. Pool was nice, but cold. Breakfast was a few processed baked goods and bran cereal, so we went out. Okay for a one-night stop, but probably won't stay again as there are many updated hotels nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room; even though they are not fantastic, I can only imagine how bad the other ro...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
EL182, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
My apology for less favorable impression of our hotel left on you during your brief visit with us. The fact is all our rooms recently upgraded and well appointed. It is just the matter of preference for our guests weather they like interior or exterior corridor building.

I'm glad that you liked our location and amenities like free WIFI.

Hope that you will consider staying with us again whenever you are visiting Shenandoah Valley.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Salina, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel is placed in the most perfect location. Tons of stores, restaurants, fast food, mall.

The price was great for me, the room was bigger than most hotels I've stayed at.

I had no issues with my room, except one thing(see below), the staff was great, just all around good.

The only issue I had, which was no big deal to me, was the caulking in the bathtub had some mold. Not an issue with me. I will stay again.

• Stayed July 2014
EL182, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
We are flattered! Your Compliments are well appreciated.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

My family of four stayed at this motel for one night. This was the cheapest I found around at the time of my search via Expedia. I was not expecting spectacular things with the low cost. Here are the things I like about this motel:

1) The room was clean, big enough as a basic motel, free breakfast, free wifi (relatively fast wifi compared to more expensive motels I've stayed in).
2) The staff was friendly and helpful, gave us tips of local attractions. I forgot a backpack in the room after checking out and called the front desk. The staff took my number and told me he will notify the cleaning team to look for my backpack. 30 minutes later I did get a call back that my backpack is waiting for pickup at the front desk. When I went back 2 hours later, it was returned to me with my iPad in it. Thank god!
3) The place is closed to many many shopping and eating place. It was surrounded by four or five malls with lots of stores. Zillions of food choices from fast food, specialty meal (Long John silvers), chain restaurants (Applebee's, Chili's), buffet, yogurt/sweet shop, boutique restaurants etc. If I were to stay for a week and eat out twice times a day I would not need to repeat eatery options.
I have changed five motels in my one week trip in the states and this is the cheapest, yet most cost-effective one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lucy L
EL182, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for feedback. We at Econo Lodge pride ourselves for providing best value based accommodations.. I'm glad that you liked our location, amenities, service and the price.

Hope that your next visit will be even more comfortable and enjoyable.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I read all the other comments and thought that this would be a nice place for my family to stay. I was sadly mistaken. I want everyone reading this to no that I am writing this review from the room. We check in looked around the room and there was hair everywhere. Hair around the toliet seat, hair around the sink, and when we pulled back the sheets there was hair there as well. When I notified the front desknthe female agent told me "there was nothing she could do about it." Then she told me. I asked to speak to the manager and she told me that she would have him call me. The hotel then sent someone to clean the room. When my family returned from our day out the room had been cleaned but hair was still everywhere. I called the front desk again and ask to speak the gm. It wasnt until I threatened to call the main office the the gm called me. When he did he assured me that there no way that hair could be in the room, m7nd you he was calling me from home. When I told him that I was writing this review he offered me 1000 reward points. I will never stay at this hotel again and I encourage anyone who reads this review to do the same.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
EL182, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Please accept my sincere apology for your less than a satisfactory stay. Though I'm bit surprised as I understand, on very first time we offered you different room which you refused so our staff cleaned your room thoroughly under my supervision including taking all the linen out for wash. Not only that but I did offer a personal apology and 1,000 reward points which you gladly accepted.

A hotel is defined by not being a perfect all the time but how we handle each incidence. In your case we did the right thing but it is unfortunate that you are still unhappy.

Hopefully your next stay with us would be more pleasant.
Killingly, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We were driving through Virginia at 3 in the morning and the kids were screaming. I looked up cheap hotels to grab a few hours sleep and this seemed to be the cheapest. We were a little uneasy based on the mixed reviews. When we got into the room it was really nice. I checked the blankets and pillows because I'm a clean freak and won't sleep anywhere there's a trace of hair or dirt. After my thorough check everything turned out clean. We had an amazing nights sleep! The only thing that I was disappointed in was the breakfast hours. I didn't know the time it was served so I looked online and couldn't find it. We went there at 10 and breakfast was long over. Come to find out it is from 6-9. Other than that everything was great including the receptionist. I highly recommend it!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
EL182, Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your kind words. The feedback we receive from our guests help us to improve upon and make their future stay even more enjoyable.

Pankaj Patel, GM.
Demarest, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The lobby was spacious and clean and gave a great impression. We had a room in the rear and it was very large. The bed was just right, however the linens were pretty scratchy. The rest of the room was fine, the desk and lamp were well situated and the TV was a nice flat screen. The next morning we had a simple breakfast and were on our way, well rested!

Room Tip: stay on the side away from the highway. It is quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
EL182, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
We appreciate the compliments. Your feedback is very important to us. We use comments from our guests to make necessary changes and improve upon our current practices so that all of our guests can have an enjoyable stay.

Pankaj Patel, GM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Our non-smoking room smelled smokey (especially the pillows) and moldy/musty. Flat pillows, thin towels. Very small room. For some reason in room 201, they put the hanging clothes holder right beside one side of the bed so you had to duck to get in and out of bed. Not pleasant with the 3 AM bathroom run! Stains on the bedside were unsightly. Coffee was good. Need more continental breakfast options. Had a sign that said "do not put hard boiled eggs in microwave", however they weren't any eggs there. Can't believe I paid $79 for these accommodations.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
EL182, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Please accept my apology for not failing to reach your level of satisfaction. The feedback we receive from our guests are important to us and are always appreciated.

Pankaj Patel. GM