“Not Too Impressed”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Harrisonburg
New York City, New York
“Not Too Impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

I had a long drive to TN , and this hotel just so happened to be half way through and one of the only Marriott branded hotels I could find.

It looks nice from the outside, and the lobby area is quite nice.

But really, in my opinion it al ends there. The room was a good size, considering we had 2 queens, but it smelled.

The bathroom was all dusty and it seemed like someone was doing some drilling shortly before we got there and forgot to pickup their mess!

The sink area was dusty as well, and I was missing bars of soap everywhere.

The good thing was that I forgot my toothbrush, so when I went over to the front desk to get one of those, I requested a few bars of soap as well.

Front desk service was okay as well. It did take him a good 15 minutes to find toothbrushes , and then insisted on giving me two , which was nice.

Overall, service was okay. They woke me up when I asked them too, and answered the rest of my questions in a timely manner. The nighttime gentleman was nicer than the morning gentleman. He just seemed much more jolly and happy go lucky.

All in all, I would go back to this hotel if I was in the area, but I hope that I don’t have to because the beds smelled!

Sidenote: It was also quite expensive compared to the price I have paid for other Marriott's.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
north carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

My friend and I were returning to N.C. and this stop was halfway between my cottage in upstate N.Y. and home. I am very sorry that I can not positively remember the name of the front desk clerk, but I believe it was Sharon. She was just so helpful with places to eat, and treated my friend and me like her new best friends! She was on the afternoon desk, and when we left in the morning, we asked the person manning the desk then if she had a card so we could write her and thank her. His reply--"She does not have a card--she's only a clerk". We know better--she was not "just a clerk"--she was a star. The hotel itself was very nice--lovely mattresses, and bedding, clean and cool. We had a lovely breakfast in the dining room which had a varied menu of just about anything one could want for breakfast--it was not free, but reasonably priced. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank clarabellekennedy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

Great hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The breakfast attendants are absolutely fantastic and buffet is wonderful. I will definitely stay here when I am in harrisonburg.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Daw77
Newport News, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

The Courtyard in Harrisonburg, VA is very basic and offers Marriott Rewards members no incentive to stay. We are platinum members at Marriott and still had to pay for a horrible breakfast buffet. They state that they offer made-to-order eggs/omelettes, but there were no employees working at the omelette station. Furthermore, the room had an odor that smelled of septic and cigarette smoke. We generally love Marriott and rarely have a complaint. However, if you are planning a trip to Harrisonburg, VA, look into the Residence Inn....much more enjoyable!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We spent one night at the Courtyard Harrisonburg on our way back from Atlanta. Hotel is located just off I-81 at the top of a hill which offers an amazing view. Parking is free, with plenty of spots located next to the hotel. The hotel is also conveniently located near restaurants and shopping. I want to take the opportunity to thank Sharon who was so helpful in securing adjoining rooms for us. She took the time to block the rooms, and even called me back to confirm the block. When we arrived, the staff on duty was just as helpful and courteous. The restaurant staff was very attentive and pleasant as well. Definitely a plus. The hotel has a large, open, and light-filled lobby. If traveling with minimal luggage you should be ok. The elevators are on the small side, and the main floor hallway is narrow, making it difficult to negotiate with a luggage cart. Our room was not up to the usual Marriott standards, it smelled musty and felt damp. I actually had to spray the room to get rid of the smell. There was also a sour smell from the bathroom, similar to that when fans are not working properly. I did not notice this in the adjoining room, so it may have been confined to our room. As this was the third Marriott property we visited during our trip, it was a bit disappointing. There was a work desk and separate seating area, but no microwave or mini-fridge. I can't say that I would stay there again, unless I could see a room before checking in. For one night it was ok.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank maggymae
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

We have family in Harrisonburg, and this is always our hotel of choice. The rooms and lobby are always clean. The staff always helpful and pleasant. Has an indoor pool, exercise room, and nice area outside with a gazebo for relaxing. Coffee and hot tea available in the lobby. Wonderful location.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank calgrlzl
SHerbst, General Manager at Courtyard Harrisonburg, responded to this review, 27 July 2011
Thank you for staying with us in Harrisonburg. We strive to provide all of our guests with a comfortable stay and excellent service while staying with us. We appreciate your comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Sara Herbst
Wallingford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed here overnight on a trip through to Florida. We selected it enroute on our IPad and the price was reasonable. Three of us (women) had 2 queen size beds, with enough room to move around in and get ready for dinner and in the morning.
Staff was helpful with ideas on where to go for dinner and there was a (not free) buffet in the morning.
Room was clean as was the lobby, bed was comfortable and plenty of pillows.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NancyJ422
Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard in Harrisonburg. We are happy that you found our location comfortable and convenient. We strive to offer the best possible service to all of our guests and love hearing feedback from our guests. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Florida and hope that we will be your first choice for any future trips bringing you through Harrisonburg. Again, thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your comments.

Sara Herbst