“Fabulous weekend!”

Residence Inn Harrisonburg
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My husband and I stay at Marriott hotels whenever we can because we always know what to expect. This hotel was perfect! Wonderful staff and service...always smiling and greeting us. CLEAN rooms! Oh, and the pool! SO clean! I have ridiculously high standards when it comes to hotels and their facilities. This pool was great. Seriously.

We were in town for JMU's Homecoming Weekend and the hotel was sold out. That didn't stop the staff from catering to our needs and keeping everything in perfect shape. They still treated us as if we were the only family staying here.

Can't say enough....definitely stay here if in the Burg!

PS. I gave sleep quality a very good because the wall was paper thin and our neighbors came in at 2am talking/yelling. Not the hotels fault but a little rough. :(

Room Tip: First floor almost directly across from the pool/gym. Still totally quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
carolinedickensGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Harrisonburg, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Thank you so much for the review of our hotel for your Homecoming Weekend stay. I’m was so glad to read you enjoyed your stay and found everything to be so clean. Our housekeeping and maintenance staff work very hard to keep up with the property to ensure that guests have the best experience possible. Hope to see you for Homecoming 2014!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Where do I begin to rave about this hotel? It is everything you expect of a great hotel and more. I am going to try not to drone on and on, so we’ll see how that goes.

The rooms are big and comfortable and super-clean. They have exceptional bedding and linens. The bathroom is spacious and functional and also very clean. There is a fully-equipped kitchen, complete with supplies for coffee-making.

The buffet breakfast in the morning is wonderful (complementary); lots of good eats. The people who work the breakfast area are efficient and keep the place nice and tidy. Also, at this hotel, on certain weeknights, there are “social events”. They have a nice little spread of food at night, and serve beer and wine – it’s nice! The people who tend the “social events” were really wonderful! I came in contact with a couple of them, and each employee was nicer than the next.

There’s a large laundry room, coin-operated, which was very convenient. The hotel has free wi-fi throughout. There’s a gym (which I NEVER use, but it looked nice) – AND, a saltwater, indoor pool (which I also didn’t use, but I found it interesting that it was saltwater).

The location is fantastic. It is about 23 miles to the middle entrance of Shenandoah National Park (via 33-east). It is about an hour drive to the north entrance of Shenandoah National Park (via 81-north). And, it is about a 45 minute drive to the south entrance of Shenandoah (via 81-south, then 64-east). I entered the park at the north end the first day, then came out the middle entrance (33) which quickly led me right back to the hotel. Then the next day, I went back into the middle entrance, and finished the park all the way to the south entrance (coming back 64-W to 81-N). The hotel makes it VERY convenient to do that. Short of staying inside the park, I think this hotel (or the Fairfield Inn next door) as the best location for Shenandoah National Park. There are a million shops and restaurants all around the hotel, as well as a mall, a Target, a Walmart Supercenter, a really, really nice grocery store called Martins, and lots of gas stations. I think downtown Harrisonburg is on the other side of I-81, but I’m not sure as I didn’t go into it; I was here strictly for the National Park.

Now, I will talk about what is so exceptional about this hotel; that is, the employees. In particular, there were four women who really made my stay pleasant. Natascha greeted me with a nice smile when I checked in; her positive energy was so welcoming. During my stay, I saw her a couple times and she was always pleasant and professional – she is truly an asset to this hotel.

Savanna and Tanya were working the social hour on Monday and Tuesday night and were really delightful to talk to. These women also make you feel welcome. I know they are doing their jobs, but they do them especially well with such professionalism.

When I checked out on Wednesday, Jessica answered the phone and was just as nice and pleasant as the other 3 women I had come in contact with. It’s nice to go some place and feel like you are a valued guest. I don’t need much, and I never ask anything of any employee – I don’t even get my room cleaned. But, I do like nice, friendly people and this hotel definitely has that going for it. I hope Marriott appreciates these employees!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tczig
carolinedickensGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Harrisonburg, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Wow! Thank you so much for the glowing review. I am so glad you found the location and all of our amenities to suit your needs. I’m also glad that you were able to experience the Shenandoah National Park. It is quite amazing. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

My expectations were pretty high going in after reading the reviews, but we were not disappointed. From check in to check out, everything was handled exceptionally. The front desk agent (JMU student) noticed our high schooler and correctly guessed that we were visiting the college. She helped with directions and provided a map. The rooms were beautiful and immaculate (great bed) and the work out room was perfect (important to me). The free breakfast wasn't exceptional, but it was good and it was free. Overall a really great experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
carolinedickensGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Harrisonburg, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to let us and other travelers know that your experience lived up to other reviews you had read. For future reference, you also have access to our local Gold’s Gym as a guest, so feel free to take advantage of that next time you are here. I hope that your overall trip to Harrisonburg was a success and that your son or daughter had a great experience visiting JMU.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Natasha was serious when she told me at check-in that this was the best hotel in Harrisonburg. While I don't know the other properties in town, I do travel a fair amount. This would be the best property in many towns and was by far the best Residence Inn I've encountered. The hotel is a few years old but seems brand new due to an attention to detail. The evening meal was fantastic - coconut rice, chicken, hummus, etc. Even though I'm a Gold in Marriott-speak there was no upgrade available. No matter as the service, friendliness and overall ambiance made this a great overnight on an autumn road trip. Kudos to everyone who works here and a special thumbs up to the cook; she was even cleaning up the main room during the meal.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
carolinedickensGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Harrisonburg, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Natasha is one of our biggest cheerleaders; I’m so glad you had the chance to meet her and to experience our property first hand. I will be sure to share your comments with all the staff. They will be so excited to know how much you enjoyed your overnight trip here at the Residence Inn Harrisonburg. Thanks for sharing your comments with us!

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Clean comfortable rooms, nice lobby and included breakfast make this an excellent selection in Harrisonburg. The staff was friendly and helpful. The grounds were better than expected. Convenient location to James Madison University.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent review of our property. I’m glad to know you found the staff helpful and our close proximity to campus convenient. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

One feature of any Residence Inn that we recognize is that they are designed for families. Everywhere you turn there are kids, most of them having fun and enjoying all the hotel offers. The caveat to this is that we don't expect a quiet and peaceful stay. This trip was no different. The breakfast area was a mass of humanity and we continually heard the pitter patter of feet above and next to our room. Still, the friendliness of the staff made these minor inconveniences worth staying. The all went out of their way to make it worthwhile. If you have kids, this is the right place. If not, be ready to enjoy all they offer!

Room Tip: For more quiet a higher corner is best.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
carolinedickensGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Harrisonburg, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for your family friendly review. Residence Inn is certainly appealing to families because of all the great amenities provided. I am so glad to read though that your stay was made great by the staff. They all enjoy what they do so much so I will make sure to share your comments with them. Thanks for choosing us!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We just walked in here and got a nice one room apartment , love the animites the Recidence Inn have and knew about since been member for some year , we got there in time for evening snack which is nice and meet up with other people if You want or just sit with the fireplace and enjoy a drink . And the staf is fantastick here so welcoming and helpful , after we had some evening snacks we went for the mall and then back to the pool , witch is some sort of team for this holiday to choose a hotel with pool so the girl get to train swimming which they did , Breakfast is nice , but ended a bit early we think , other then that we loved our one night there

Room Tip: well I have in my profil for Marriotts hotels that I want a high floor and I got that here too
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
carolinedickensGM, General Manager at Residence Inn Harrisonburg, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for taking time to post your review about our hotel. I was so glad you were able to use the pool and had a chance to come to both social and breakfast. The staff truly enjoys what they do here so I’m glad you had an opportunity to interact with them. Thanks again!