“Disappointed...”

Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 9 August 2013

One dish unavailable as the cafe kitchen was out of lentils...macaroni and cheese dish bland and lumpy...special chicken curry dish contained a soupçon of chicken...not a good value for the price...maybe just a bad kitchen day? Have had better meals at this establishment previously.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were glad to find a Bowl of Good while traveling through Harrisonburg. Housed in a funky space in a strip mall, the cafe serves an eclectic blend of world food made with fresh, local ingredients when possible.

The man behind the register provided great advice on what to order as everything on the menu looked good. His recommendations were spot on and everyone in our party, from grandparents to kids, enjoyed their lunches.

We always enjoy finding something new and exotic to eat. If you're looking for a ham and cheese sandwich, don't bother looking here. But if you want fresh food that's bound to interest your palate, check out A Bowl of Good, which is a rather modest name. It could easily be called A Bowl of Great.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

I recently tried A Bowl of Good for the first time as I just started working in Harrisonburg. I planned to try the chili but they had a 1/2 sandwich & cup of soup special so I gave it a go. I chose a pre-made sandwich, which they cut in half and served with a very tasty soup.

The soup was a citrus lentil and it was excellent. The lemon/orange mixed with a somewhat spicy lentil soup was the perfect flavor balance - I could have had seconds easily. The turkey on wheat was good also - lots of thick-sliced deli turkey, with crispy greens and really good wheat bread. The bread was moist and had a little crunch, which I enjoy. I also got bread with my soup, and I ate it all even though I am not a huge bread eater. Half of a sandwich is not a large portion but it was just enough.

The restaurant was clean and the staff friendly. I will be back. The only concern I had was that it was dead on a weekday at noon. There were about 4 occupied tables even though the dining room is large. JMU students were out for the summer, so maybe that was the issue. I hope they stay open though. I like their "bowl" concept and there are other items I want to try.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

A Bowl of Good Cafe does a great job of presenting fresh entrees with a world food flair. The variety here is particularly impressive. Everything from Indian, Mexican, Guatemalan, and everything in between.

They serve soups, bowls of specific dishes, grab and go sandwiches, and have a nice selection of hot and cold teas. I've been here a few times with my family and it's a great atmosphere. There is also a fine selection of breakfast dishes that are perfect if you're in a hurry and want something better than fast food fare.

Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We had red , white and moo, sing a silly- dilly tuna wrap, bowl de la milpa, a monster cookie, joy bar and vanilla ice cream. All was very tasty and filling. Drinks were southern tea, limonade, and caffeine free hybiscus tea. Refills were unlimited . Prices were reasonable. If you want to go to a unique place, this is it.